Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2011, 10:51 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,060,189 times

Advertisements

Hi there all you Durham residents. Am looking to relocate there and love libraries. In your opinion, which library do you love for fiction and non fiction? I was in the main library and was not impressed, although there were alot of books I would have loved to take out, the interior was kinda depressing. I didn't see any comfy chairs or a place I would want to stay for awhile. Didn't get to any of the branches, so am asking you: which library do you frequent and why? Thanks for your help !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2011, 11:10 AM

285 posts, read 493,150 times
My favorites are the Southwest and South Regional Libraries. They are both new facilities (SW was renovated, S was a new build). They are clean, organized, and have nice places to sit and read. I've heard that the East and North Regionals are equally nice, but I've never visited them.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:33 AM

1,751 posts, read 3,688,415 times
The branch on Shannon Road is realllllly nice. I don't know if that is Southwest or South Regional. I agree, the main library was really old and not very welcoming.

Old 10-29-2011, 11:50 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
I think one reason the downtown (main) one is "less than welcoming" is that due to its location, they get a lot of "urban population" who hang out in the library for reasons other than using its services (so I was told by someone who worked there). So they would want to discourage places for folks to "hang out".

Old 10-29-2011, 12:00 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,221,562 times
what is urban population? duke students?

Old 10-29-2011, 12:54 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
what is urban population? duke students?
LOL, far from it. What is meant is that due to its location in the downtown area, you'll have your homeless people, people with drug problems, unemployed people, people with nothing else to do, lower income individuals who lack home internet and just overall shady looking folks frequenting the library and hanging out outside.

However, this is extremely common in most urban areas with downtown main branches. (I'm from Baltimore and the Newark, NJ area and its the same story there).

The difference with Durham is that they keep a tight lid on any funny business going on there. I go there all the time with my kids and so do plenty of other people of various socio-economic backgrounds and I've never felt uneasy at all. There's an armed security officer there and just overall everybody minds their business. Nobody's panhandling appearing mentally unstable to make me feel uneasy.

Also, another reason it isn't so welcoming is that it seems to be in need of a major remodeling. The decor is really blah looking compared to the other branches. I think the other branches were in more dire need of renovations than Main.

Old 10-29-2011, 01:10 PM

862 posts, read 3,549,335 times
Another thing I wanted to add is that even though I don't really care too much for the Main branch, my kids LOVE it for the book selection they have. Also the dvd selection is pretty good in that they always find something interesting. They aren't into welcoming and ambiance like the OP. When the South Regional branch opened, I honestly thought I would never step foot in Main again (that's what reservations are for). However, the kids soon found out that South was seriously lacking in the juvy book department. So from then on when they begged to go to the library, it was and still is Main all.the.time.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:46 PM

119 posts, read 394,167 times
I agree with all the previous posts..most of the library branches are good. I actually loved the downtown one for their children's section & how it reminded me of my childhood library. That being said, SW is nice...selection of kids books is sad as well as music but their adult section seems fine. The North Regional is also recently redone & has a great selections of kids audio & DVD (the best I have seen) as well as adult. If you really wanted to you could become a "member" at Orange County libraries for a fee also and they have some nice places I have heard.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:32 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,543 times
East Regional

Old 10-30-2011, 09:24 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,756,502 times
South Regional & North Regional have the exact same design and layout. I think East Regional has the same layout as well. The county was saving money with architectural design. SW & North Regional Regional has great children's programs. South has some but I feel SW and North does a better job of their children's offerings.

Oddly enough you will find the libraries that check out the most books or items per customer do not always have the most books on hand. I believe space wise the main library still has more storage space and shelf space. However, it is very easy to reserve a book and have it sent to your preferred location. It does seem like 7 times out 10 the book we want has to be sent to South Durham Regional (our closest) from another location. But again it does not take long for this process.

For hanging out and enjoying the library I prefer the SW Regional Library. It's design is a little more comfy than the South, North, East version. I also think the SW staff is the friendliest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary