Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:52 PM

12 posts, read 25,953 times

Advertisements

Just got a job at Duke Hospital and will be moving ASAP. The kids are just starting school so can anyone recommend areas that have good schools? I was just out driving around six forks road and just love the area. Schools and commute are going to be the main two criteria. Any info would be greatly appreciated as this is moving fast. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 PM

997 posts, read 4,645,143 times
I don't know where on Six Forks your were looking or what the ages of your children are but Pleasant Union Elementary and Brassfield Elementary are some schools not far from there. I have friends who like them both. Good Luck. Hope this helps.

Old 07-07-2007, 05:13 AM

Default Thanks

Kids are 1st and kindergarten. On six forks, I don't even know where I was community wise... I saw Bayleaf fire department is all I can remember. What I noticed were the lots sizes and the country-like setting which is what I'm looking for. I will keep these schools in mind as I look at listings. Thanks!

Old 07-07-2007, 07:32 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,034,535 times
Where I live in wake forest (on the west side of town off of purnell), is about 25 miles from duke. (you can go down 98). My daughter will be attending kindergarten at north forest pines elementary (year round), the non year round option is wake forest elementary (at least with many of the homes in and around purnell). I also love the neighborhood off of six forks called cobble creek/coachmans trail. Large lots, older homes (some have been renovated, some have not). I think a lot of it is going to depend on your price point, of course!

Anyhow, there are some nice "country - like" setting in wake forest. The bayleaf fire department is very close to the coachmans trail neighborhood I mentioned.

Leigh

Old 07-07-2007, 07:41 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,246,306 times
Sounds like the area you are talking about is Bayleaf. Mostly older homes without garages but will have more land.

There is a new neighborhood in that area that you can have your own horse! For a price! I think $800,000!

There are actually quite a few neighborhoods in that area but I think the commute to Duke is going to be at least 30 minutes.

And yes, price WILL be a determining factor.

If you can live with less land, you may want to try the area around Leesville Road Schools. You'll get the schools you want, close to 540 so you can get to Duke quickly but you may not get a lot larger than l/3 of an acre.

Vicki

Old 07-07-2007, 08:29 AM
rfb

2,594 posts, read 6,356,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenj View Post
Kids are 1st and kindergarten. On six forks, I don't even know where I was community wise... I saw Bayleaf fire department is all I can remember. What I noticed were the lots sizes and the country-like setting which is what I'm looking for. I will keep these schools in mind as I look at listings. Thanks!
Just before Bayleaf Fire Department, you probably passed by Coachman's Trail. This is an older, established neighborhood built in the 1970s. If you like or don't mind that, this is a real nice area. There is a good variance in prices and sizes: $300K-400K+, with home sizes being anywhere from 1800 sq ft to 3500 sq ft or more.

Farther north (1/2 mile or so), the neighborhoods get newer and more expensive. There is Adam's Mountain, Carlyle, etc. You might be able to find something in the $500K range, but most of the homes will be more expensive with plenty in the $1 million+ range.

If that doesn't scare you away, you can also look off Creedmoor Road. This is the next "large" north/south road west of Six Forks Road, heading toward Durham. There are many new neighborhoods near NC-98 and Creedmoor (Ethan's Glen, Parker's Falls, etc.). Prices for new construction starts at $600K to $700K and goes up from there rather quickly. But there are resales of homes built in the past 5-8 years in the $400K-$600K range.

For commute, I would not recommend heading down to I-540 from this far north, whether it is off Six Forks Road or Creedmoor Road. Instead, take NC 98 west toward Durham, and cut over to NC 147, and then head to Duke. This will keep you from experiencing the bulk of the RTP traffic. From the Six Forks Road area you were in, commute times are probably in the 30-40 minute range. From the Creedmoor Road area, you will shave 8-10 minutes off those times.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:31 AM

Default Thanks Y'all

Very good information! We are digging through the data you provided. Your comments are very appreciated

Old 07-08-2007, 11:21 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,915,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by byebyenj View Post
Very good information! We are digging through the data you provided. Your comments are very appreciated
(Will you be working at Duke Hospital in Durham, or Duke Health Raleigh Hospital in Raleigh?)

Old 07-09-2007, 01:46 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Be aware that reassignments are becoming common, and school changes can occur regardless of where you live.

You can call the WCPSS (district office) with an address and get assignment info. Unfortunately, no guarantee that kids won't be bumped. Migration into area is really impacting the school district.

Old 07-09-2007, 08:01 PM

Default reassignments

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
Be aware that reassignments are becoming common, and school changes can occur regardless of where you live.

You can call the WCPSS (district office) with an address and get assignment info. Unfortunately, no guarantee that kids won't be bumped. Migration into area is really impacting the school district.
I just learned about this. Seems like a rough thing to do to a kid. I'm starting to think private schools. What private schools are in the N. Raleigh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary