Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:17 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,043,586 times

Advertisements

How long is the commute? Traffic? If I work in Cary, is it better to live in Apex? What about F-V To Cary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 08:18 PM

202 posts, read 949,646 times
Where in Cary? Can you give an intersection?

Old 07-06-2007, 09:04 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,095,387 times
It takes me about 25 minutes to get from downtown/'central Cary to HS during normal driving hours (non rush hour) using Walnut Street to Holly Springs Road. It takes about 20-30 minutes going Walnut Street to US 1 North to 55. This is during NON rush hour traffic, I have no idea what it's like at 7: 30 am or 5-6 PM. I do know that US 1 North is often back up during rush hour traffic.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:11 PM

997 posts, read 4,643,282 times
Apex would be the closest to Cary followed by Holly Springs and Fuquay Varina. I can get from Davis Drive in Cary to Apex in 10 minutes or less. Holly Springs in about 25 minutes. Fuquay Varina in about 35 minutes.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-06-2007, 09:53 PM

381 posts, read 1,325,238 times
Default traffic

During rush hour, traffic between HS & Cary is absolutely nightmarish. I don't understand why any sane person would subject themselves to it when there are much better options in many areas of the Triangle. Really.
\
If you can drive during non-rush hour, it's great. I decided to check out some houses in that area a few weeks ago and made the mistake of going in rush hour. It's just nuts. It's not just the stop-and-go aspect, it's also the fact that there are small roads that clog. Lots of stoplights and lots of intersections without stoplights where people are desperately trying to turn against traffic. It's really frustrating. And I say this as someone who drives I-40 to work and back every single day. I don't have nearly the kind of traffic issues that those folks over there have.

Try it one time. I'm serious about not understanding why anyone would buy there if they had to make that commute during rush hour.

Mike

Old 07-07-2007, 07:58 AM

2,187 posts, read 8,003,654 times
I live in Holly Springs. Since it was getting such a bad wrap because it is SOOOOOO far out there I did some driving times one week to give people an idea of how far commuting times are. See my thread here:

Commuting Times From Holly Springs

If that doesn't work search for threads by me CAKD and look for Driving Times from Holly Springs. That should give you an accurate idea of how long it takes to get to various places from Holly Springs.

Old 07-07-2007, 09:35 AM

381 posts, read 1,325,238 times
Default Hs

HS is not far away. I don't think anyone said that on this thread. Just that the drive time can be horrible.

Most of the times I saw on the other thread were either counter-traffic (going to Apex/Cary during the afternoon rush hour) or mid-day (10am and such). There is no problem then b/c you don't have the traffic clog to deal with. (Note, in my first post, I said: "If you can drive during non-rush hour, it's great." I'm not in any way trying to slam HS. But when people ask about commute times, they generally are interested in rush hour.)

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see, say, RTP to HS at 5:15pm in the other thread. That's the killer. Took me right at an hour the one day I tried it. Maybe that was just a miserable day, but I don't want to try it again.

Anyway, rush hour is the issue; not leisure time.

(Edit to add: I looked again and do see 1 time driving into Apex and 1 time driving into Cary at 9am or so, and the last current post in the thread guesstimates RTP to HS at 45 mins during rush hour.)

Mike

Last edited by Mikeheel; 07-07-2007 at 09:53 AM..

Old 07-07-2007, 10:19 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,613,953 times
I've not tried the commute to HS from RTP (or vice-versa), but judging from the traffic crawling through Apex on 55 in the afternoons, I wouldn't want to. The few times I've run out for an errand in Apex around 4-5pm, I have to remember *not* to get caught up in that traffic.

Like Mike said, it's not that HS is "so far out there" - the original poster asked about drive time during rush hour.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:23 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,613,953 times
Forgot to mention - the main problem with commuting through Apex is that road goes down to one lane in each direction because of a railway bridge in the middle of town. I think 55 is fine when it's 2 lanes in each direction - Apex is definitely the bottleneck.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:50 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,003,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeheel View Post
HS is not far away. I don't think anyone said that on this thread. Just that the drive time can be horrible.

Most of the times I saw on the other thread were either counter-traffic (going to Apex/Cary during the afternoon rush hour) or mid-day (10am and such). There is no problem then b/c you don't have the traffic clog to deal with. (Note, in my first post, I said: "If you can drive during non-rush hour, it's great." I'm not in any way trying to slam HS. But when people ask about commute times, they generally are interested in rush hour.)
from HSMaybe I missed it, but I didn't see, say, RTP to HS at 5:15pm in the other thread. That's the killer. Took me right at an hour the one day I tried it. Maybe that was just a miserable day, but I don't want to try it again.

Anyway, rush hour is the issue; not leisure time.

(Edit to add: I looked again and do see 1 time driving into Apex and 1 time driving into Cary at 9am or so, and the last current post in the thread guesstimates RTP to HS at 45 mins during rush hour.)

Mike
My dh commutes during those horrific crunch times from HS to over by the RBC center. The longest it takes him is 25 minutes. Once when there was a really wrotten accident on the 40 it took him 50 minutes. It all depends on your outlook. For you 25 minutes might me terrible. For us coming from CA that is shorter than it took us to get to the grocery store with every day traffic RTP is further out than RBC of course. But she wasn't asking for commuting times to RTP in her original thread. At any rate I made that post because so many people are looking into HS and trying to figure out driving times. Nothing I am trying to debate over just something I thought would be useful and helpful. Seeing is I live here in HS I figure I can give first hand driving times. I was very specific in listing the times I drove as well as the routes I took. Again I really didn't post it to debate the driving times just to make them available
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary