Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2010, 09:30 PM

3 posts, read 9,149 times

Advertisements

A roughly 30ish year old African American man came by our house here in Raleigh claiming to represent Kingdom Healthcare (supposedly with Providence Harvest Church) which helps reform gang members in Raleigh. I was suckered into making a small donation with a check (against my instincts), but I don't think they are legitimate. I came across an identical thread regarding Carolina Children Outreach (web address below). I feel scammed and will try to make a stop payment (more for the principle than for the money). Curious if anyone else has had a similar experience and if they are truly dishonest, if there is anyway to stop them.

Carolina Children Outreach, Inc. Anyone know them?

Old 04-14-2010, 09:43 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Perhaps we should all teach our children at a young age that if someone comes to the door asking for money, and you don't know who they are, don't give it to them.

The chances are extremely high it is a scam. They keep doing it because people keep giving them money.

The police always want to know about people who do things like that.

Legitimate companies (even if "registered") do not go door to door begging for money.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:42 AM

1,357 posts, read 4,027,675 times
I don't know if this is legit, but a google search turned up this addy and phone number. It may be worth making a phone call.

Kingdom Healthcare Inc
maps.google.com
2825 South Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC 27603-3552
(919) 829-2100

Old 04-15-2010, 07:10 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,533,307 times
You can also cancel the check although the cancel fee (if any) may be higher than the value of the check if you are having second thoughts.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:06 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,071,612 times
I simply do not open my door to anybody I don't know. Period. And they can see me in my home because I have glass front doors. If it is important they know how to cal me or can leave a note.

Follow your instincts. I had several solitors come by during Katrina, Haiti, etc. I contribute plenty to charity but NEVER TO DOOR TO DOOR SOLITORS.

Old 04-15-2010, 10:11 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,094,205 times
Same here.

Giving cash or money to someone requires you to open your door to someone you don't know. That's just not a good idea. Ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I simply do not open my door to anybody I don't know. Period. And they can see me in my home because I have glass front doors. If it is important they know how to cal me or can leave a note.

Follow your instincts. I had several solitors come by during Katrina, Haiti, etc. I contribute plenty to charity but NEVER TO DOOR TO DOOR SOLITORS.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,104 times
Please know that Providence Harvest Church is a separate entity from Kingdom Healthcare. Providence Harvest opened it's doors to this program and rented them space in our facility for a short period of time. We are not in the business of nor do we condone soliciting funds door to door for any reason. Providence Harvest Church is a vibrant Community based Ministry this in the business of ministering to the whole man. To those persons that were scammed please accept our deepest apology and it it our prayer that this will never happen again. Again, Providence Harvest Church is NOT affiliated with Kingdom Healthcare.

Bishop Manuel P. Stancil, Sr.

Providence Harvest Church Pastor

Old 10-31-2010, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,971 times
I have also had a solicitor come by (in Durham) multiple times over the last year or two--African-American male in late 30s or 40s. He goes by the name "David" and has a booklet about "Kingdom Healthcare, Inc"--it is tattered with poorly xeroxed copies of license number, solicitation law info and photographs related to alleged ministry for gang outreach ministry. He also says he is collecting money for "Mt. Zion Church" for their Christian education program. I am going to try calling these places to see what they say. But, if anyone has any further information, please post. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary