Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2010, 12:25 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,853,958 times

Advertisements

I am stunned that my spring planted tomato plants are still giving me ripe, good tasting tomatoes! They're yummy, I'm eating a sarnie for lunch A while ago they looked bad (rusty and mishapen) and so I pulled some up but left a couple of plants that had grown into my super thorny roses. I figured they die in a week or two. Well they are still there have about 20 healthy toms on them. The only toms I've had this late were cherry toms, but these are regular ones.

For you experts out there...is this normal for our area considering the colds nights we've had?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 839 times
Default tomatoes still on vines

i still have red and green toms on my vines, which are still green as gourds and very bushy. cant believe it since we've had a few frosts here. When it got dry here my toms did better. They stopped rottening so bad. I'm in mason county, next to the Ohio river

Old 10-31-2010, 01:23 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,840,712 times
My regular tomatoes are "done" -t drought was just too much for them. However, I have a grape tomato that is yielding 5-10 tomatoes a day. My fig trees are goins strong too! My dad says the fig tress think they are in Sicily!

Old 10-31-2010, 01:55 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,853,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer View Post
My regular tomatoes are "done" -t drought was just too much for them. However, I have a grape tomato that is yielding 5-10 tomatoes a day. My fig trees are goins strong too! My dad says the fig tress think they are in Sicily!
I thought the drought did the same to mine but they're back I'm jealous about the fig tree I have a mulberry but no fruit this year.

Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,069,777 times
Caterpillars ate all of ours this year early on. But in years past, we had them quite late.

Old 10-31-2010, 04:27 PM

2,541 posts, read 5,464,656 times
I pulled all mine to make room for fall veggies. I did, however, plant a couple late pumpkins. I just harvested a bunch of mini decorative pumpkins...they look really pretty on the table. And I have a pie pumpkin out on the vine still. It's got a little ways to go, but I'm hoping it'll be big enough by the time we get a frost. I hear the weather is goign to be pretty cool next week, though.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:11 PM

915 posts, read 2,378,620 times
I'm still pulling grape and cherry tomatoes. I have one Roma bush still alive, and it has tons of nice green tomatoes on it, but not a one has turned ripe in the past month. Oh well.

Last year we picked the last cherry tomatoes on Thanksgiving morning and used them for the meal. Quite appropriate, I think.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:18 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,066,563 times
No more 'maters but my peppers are going CRAZY right now!

Old 11-01-2010, 05:24 AM

843 posts, read 2,097,265 times
Picked 10 peppers yesterday.... the cubanellas are petering out, the hot banana peppers has many buds and flowers..... thought of bringing it inside for the winter!!

Tomatos never did great. I think it was heat. I grow in pots on the deck and had to water 2x a day for awhile. Would water in AM and they would be wilted and 1/2 dead by 6pm.... I also got the caterpillers.... But I picked 50+ of them green suckers off and threw in the pond. Fish loved them!!

Old 11-01-2010, 07:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,464,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncmickey View Post
Tomatos never did great. I think it was heat. I grow in pots on the deck and had to water 2x a day for awhile. Would water in AM and they would be wilted and 1/2 dead by 6pm.... I also got the caterpillers.... But I picked 50+ of them green suckers off and threw in the pond. Fish loved them!!
I would guess that they weren't getting enough water. Pots dry up much faster than soil in the ground. Tomatoes love the heat and mine (in the ground) did really well this year...although I've heard that quite a few people had problems with rot this year. Next year try watering more deeply/frequently and see if that helps. You might also try a larger pot. Maybe the roots didn't have enough space.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary