U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2006, 02:52 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,440,871 times

Advertisements

In my online house hunt I have noticed that several of the developments we like are in tiny nodes that are assigned to local elementary & middle schools but then to a distant, highly undesireable high school.
My questions are:
1. how likely is it that the node as a whole could be reassigned?
2. roughly, what are the odds of "winning the lottery" to get into a magnet... 50%? 20%? Less?....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2006, 05:11 PM

5,265 posts, read 15,041,002 times
I'm not familiar with the magnet schools. But I believe that if you go to WCPSS.NET, they have that information. As for the "nodes", they change that around every year.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:36 PM

I knew you would answer me, i'm informed!

Do they re-configure the nodes every year or do they change the schools to which the nodes are assigned.
I keep seeing nice areas being stuck in Knightsdale, a school with no AP & very little advanced coursework of any kind. As the area develops would they perhaps put those nodes into the new more local high schools coming on line like Heritage, or will they jus tkeep the small nodes down there for "diversity"?

Old 08-16-2006, 06:44 PM

They change the schools to which the nodes are assigned; as far as I know, they don't redraw the lines for the nodes. The whole reason for all the the crazy bussing to far away schools is "diversity". They accomplish that in a better way with the magnet schools though. Although most of the Magnet Schools are in not-so-nice neighborhoods; they offer excellent programs and opportunies for students; so that students and parents from nicer areas will WANT to go there and do. They make it mandatory that no school have over 40% of the students below the poverty line; so if a school is not a magnet school and in a poor area; they will bus kids in from more affluent areas. And vice versa; if one school has too many poor students and is in a poor area; they will bus those kids to schools in nicer, more affluent areas. Becasue of this the magnet schools are pretty competitive; but worth it if you can get in.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed View Post
They change the schools to which the nodes are assigned; as far as I know, they don't redraw the lines for the nodes. The whole reason for all the the crazy bussing to far away schools is "diversity". They accomplish that in a better way with the magnet schools though. Although most of the Magnet Schools are in not-so-nice neighborhoods; they offer excellent programs and opportunies for students; so that students and parents from nicer areas will WANT to go there and do. They make it mandatory that no school have over 40% of the students below the poverty line; so if a school is not a magnet school and in a poor area; they will bus kids in from more affluent areas. And vice versa; if one school has too many poor students and is in a poor area; they will bus those kids to schools in nicer, more affluent areas. Becasue of this the magnet schools are pretty competitive; but worth it if you can get in.
I have to agree that I would not care about the area of this school if it were a magnet but it is not- it is a struggling school. I think many parents in the affluent areas would just send the kids to private for 4 years rather than dump their kids in schools that are underperforming & have little to offer.

Do you know what the odds are of getting into a magnet though?

Old 08-16-2006, 09:43 PM

I really don't know about the odds. My guess would be the odds are pretty decent if you apply to more than one of them. Broughton and Enloe are the two best magnet schools IMO; but SE Raleigh, and Garner High are also magnet schools. WCPSS.NET lists what they excell in to achieve their status as magnet schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary