U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:17 AM

2,872 posts, read 4,976,368 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Compared to Italian gelato I'd say Henry's is as close as you'll get without getting on an airplane. I had the same experience in Italy - the flavors are very intense.
I've talked with Henry a couple of times. He's a "retired" international finance exec who lives in Pinehurst. He knows full well from his travels what Italian gelato should taste like. All his equipment is imported from Italy.
Give it a try ... they're very liberal with samples.

Frank
Ok, sounds like we have a weekend trip in store! My daughter will love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 07:27 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,746,569 times
Official grand opening is this weekend. Free gelato, jazz Saturday evening, wine tasting,

Lafayette Village ~ North Raleigh, NC

Frank

Old 03-23-2011, 09:13 AM

3,743 posts, read 10,959,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Compared to Italian gelato I'd say Henry's is as close as you'll get without getting on an airplane. I had the same experience in Italy - the flavors are very intense.
I've talked with Henry a couple of times. He's a "retired" international finance exec who lives in Pinehurst. He knows full well from his travels what Italian gelato should taste like. All his equipment is imported from Italy.
Give it a try ... they're very liberal with samples.

Frank

This is encouraging, although I'd prefer hand made, I'll take any gelato that is true to the old country.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:02 AM

965 posts, read 1,737,970 times
We just happened to stumble upon Lafayette Village last weekend since I didn't know originally where it was. For some reason I thought it was on Falls of the Neuse north of 540 (not south of it).

We love the unique European architecture but the shopping center was much smaller than I had thought from the pictures I've seen here. Also, locationwise, I think it could have been in a much better location. If I recall it's sandwiched between a gas station and an office complex. I think it deserves a much more visible location like right next to a major highway like 540 or 440. Also they need to maintain the lawn as I saw weeds cropping up everywhere.

All in all, I really hope it succeeds because the concept is refreshing !

Old 03-23-2011, 10:08 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,473,669 times
I don't think 440 and I-540 offer any visibility. You can't see anything from those roads dues to elevation differences, trees, and sound barriers.

It seems to be in a pretty good location based on its targetted customer base.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't think 440 and I-540 offer any visibility. You can't see anything from those roads dues to elevation differences, trees, and sound barriers.

It seems to be in a pretty good location based on its targetted customer base.
I beg to differ, look at Crossroads, North Hills, Brier Creek, Triangle Town Center, Southpoint, etc etc....all visible from major highways

Old 03-23-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
I beg to differ, look at Crossroads, North Hills, Brier Creek, Triangle Town Center, Southpoint, etc etc....all visible from major highways
The views of Triangle Town Center, North Hills, from highways aren't that great. I think the access from the major highways is more of selling point that the exposure they get from the road. I'll admit, North Hills gets some exposure from 440 but that is due to the taller buildings they feature like captrust - not something you will find in Lafayette Village. I'm not sure where one sees Brier Creek from a Highway. Maybe I've missed it, but in 5 years I certainly haven't noticed it. Lafayette village is easily accessible from I-540. I don't think it needs to be right on top of it.

I think more to the point is that all the places you point to are exisitng retail spaces. Where is there exisitng developable land with exposure to 440 and 540 that hasn't already been gobbled up by a developer? Sometimes developers have to build where they can get land.

Again, I think it will do well in the area they selected and based on how busy they have been I think they choose pretty wisely.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,746,569 times
Just my humble opinion but comparing Lafayette Village to the major malls in the area is a bit of a non starter for me.
I prefer to view this as an attractive and novel way of building a strip shopping center - as noted it is a refreshing concept and the underground parking will be a great benefit in the summer.
As far as the location, I have seem some developer data about the average income/home values in a small radius from the site. Seems to me like they did some homework and eventually managed to bring the site to fruition in a climate where financial markets are quite risk averse.
I hope it works !

Frank

Old 03-23-2011, 03:50 PM

@NRG -- Yes, I meant being at HW exits offer visibility and easier access. I seriously thought Lafayette Village was right at the Falls of the Neuse/540 exit, I was driving around looking for it and I know there's a little shopping center right at the exit where Rite Aid is which is visible from 540. And I could have sworn there was plots of land at that exit. So I thought it would have been a better location there for Lafayette Village.

@ frankpc -- sorry i wasn't comparing it to the malls in terms of size, i was comparing it in terms of access and visibility from major highways. and yes that area is major $$$$ residential income

I just happened to stumble upon Lafayette Village as I was driving south on Falls of the Neuse, or else I would have never known it was there driving on 540. I think the same can be said about the 6 forks 540 exit. I don't think there are any shopping centers right at the exit.

I've always wondered why since 6 forks and falls of the neuse off of 540 being prime locations aren't developed.

Last edited by meanieme; 03-23-2011 at 03:55 PM.. Reason: k

Old 03-23-2011, 05:55 PM

I hear what you are saying. But I think the I-540 intersections with Falls of Neuse and Six Forks are pretty much built out (there are some older established neighborhoods right by those intersections) and definitely not any undeveloped parcels on the order of what would be needed for Lafayette village. The only big plot I can think of is near the intersection of 440 and six forks but Mr. Kane snatched that up ages ago to continue building out North Hills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary