U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 02:51 PM

9 posts, read 17,667 times

Advertisements

My company wants to transfer me to the Raleigh area from New York ASAP. Last week I visited the area looking at apartments. I have a limited pool of apartments to choose from due to owning a Rottweiler, but there were certainly nice places that I looked at that have no breed restrictions.

I applied for two places and was rejected by both due to my credit score, despite the fact that my income to rent ratio will be anywhere from 6:1 to 9:1 depending on the place. I have the capability of playing a 3 to 6 month lease all up front, yet these properties won't allow that due to their accounting system.

I need a place fast and I'm hoping to talk to a place that either has a relaxed application process or that will take a lump sum up front covering the length of the lease. Does anyone have anything in mind?

I suppose independent home owners would be the route to go, but I've had no luck on craigslist. Are there any other sites (that serve the Triangle area) that could help me in finding an arrangement?

I'm in a real bind right now and have to get down there quick.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 03:34 PM

406 posts, read 696,914 times
Have you searched for sublease on craigslist or have you tried hotpads?

Old 11-01-2010, 03:43 PM

2,535 posts, read 4,513,506 times
We might have a 3 month sublease that would work for you. It's a house and my landlord allows dogs, fenced yard. I sent you a PM.

Old 11-01-2010, 04:22 PM

9 posts, read 17,667 times
hotpads offers no subleasing unless I am using the site wrong. As I said, craigslist has produced me no replies.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:39 PM

925 posts, read 823,590 times
If it's a company transfer, why don't they offer corporate housing or help with the lease? Also try the companies that do corporate housing in Raleigh (Google it). Their accomodations are expensive though.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 PM

117 posts, read 224,397 times
I have a wonderful Realtor that assisted me, my issue was similar. I arrived here last week Thursday, started looking on Monday, signing my lease today, moving in next weekend.

I was able to speak with the owner directly, who is a fellow Realtor as I am also. I explained the situation, provided proof of what I was bringing to the table in terms of stability etc and offered 1st and last months rent as well as the security deposit. He was more than happy to do business. He has a good renter, I have a great place and can pay down some medical bills and other debt to regain a once perfect credit history. Real Estate is still a people business. Be truthful, show proof and handle your business. You'd be surprised what you can do if your a little flexible. Be persistant and get out and talk to folks.

I will PM you her info.

Last edited by MsAli; 11-05-2010 at 01:22 PM..

Old 11-06-2010, 06:51 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,537,073 times
Were you upfront with the leasing agent or did you let them discover the bad news themselves?

Print a free credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com and bring it with you with a letter explaining what hurt your FICO (medical bills, unemployment, stc).

Many leasing offices will work with you with a good job and deposit aslong as you tell them upfront.

Worked for me when moving here in 1989 after a credit killing layoff in New Orleans.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:52 PM

9,680 posts, read 23,537,073 times
Were you upfront with the leasing agent or did you let them discover the bad news themselves?

Print a free credit report from www.annualcreditreport.com and bring it with you with a letter explaining what hurt your FICO (medical bills, unemployment, stc).

Many leasing offices will work with you with a good job and deposit as long as you tell them upfront.

Worked for me when moving here in 1989 after a credit killing layoff in New Orleans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary