U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 06:29 PM

11,474 posts, read 25,701,761 times

Advertisements

I have a friend in her late 30's interested in possibly moving there and I'm trying to help. It will be she and her husband. She is looking to move to Durham or Raleigh . Work is not an issue b/c they are bringing their jobs with them. No kids, so schools don't matter. Safe neighborhoods are a priority with convenience to shopping and entertainment. She's looking for a single family home under $100K. A small house with a small yard is fine. She doesn't want to be secluded but doesn't need to be in the middle of everything, just closeby. Please recommend safe zip codes in Durham and Raleigh.

Please, only positive posts as for moving there. I've done a search on CD, but nothing as specific as her requirements.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 06:35 PM

3,777 posts, read 7,167,630 times
It's hard to go by zip codes, at least in Durham. You can see where the police have been busy on this site:
Durham Police Department

$100,000 for a house is not much. This will limit the choices more than the crime data. They should find neighborhoods with houses in their range, then look at the crime map.

Old 11-01-2010, 07:47 PM

2,035 posts, read 2,368,194 times
Will be difficult to find a $100K free-standing house in Raleigh that's not in a relatively higher crime area. You might be able to find an attached townhome for slightly more than $100K that's in a lower crime area.

Otherwise their chances will be better in an outlying area of Wake County.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:12 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,664,326 times
Reiterating several things: 1) you can't really go by zip code for safety. I can think of a few where some really expensive areas and some really slum areas are in the same zip code. 2) $100K really is NOT a lot for a house here, and those houses in that price range will in fact be more likely to be in the more "shady" areas. It's all about supply and demand, and in a high-demand area like Raleigh or Durham, prices rise in the nicer areas and lower prices usually means less desirable areas.

Are they dead-set on the Triangle area? It's among the more expensive places in the state. A rural area might suit them better if their jobs are portable? They might try some smaller cities not too far from the Triangle, such as Sanford or Mebane?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 PM

840 posts, read 3,006,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Reiterating several things: 1) you can't really go by zip code for safety. I can think of a few where some really expensive areas and some really slum areas are in the same zip code. 2) $100K really is NOT a lot for a house here, and those houses in that price range will in fact be more likely to be in the more "shady" areas. It's all about supply and demand, and in a high-demand area like Raleigh or Durham, prices rise in the nicer areas and lower prices usually means less desirable areas.

Are they dead-set on the Triangle area? It's among the more expensive places in the state. A rural area might suit them better if their jobs are portable? They might try some smaller cities not too far from the Triangle, such as Sanford or Mebane?
Agreed. That about sums up exactly what I was thinking without having to type it up.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:17 PM

574 posts, read 1,077,606 times
I could recommend quite a few places in Apex. Why does it have to be Raleigh or Durham?

Old 11-02-2010, 05:59 AM

171 posts, read 371,193 times
Again, zip codes are not the way to go in Raleigh and Durham, go by neighborhoods. Yes, you CAN find a decent, modest house for $100k. I've done it and many of my friends have as well.

I'll stick to Raleigh:

Inside the beltline, try neighborhoods like Lockwood, Windsor Park & Longview Park
South of the beltline: Cloverdale (Garner address, barely) was always a favorite and I have a couple of friends in Carolina Pines and Hertford Village
North of the beltline: There's one person on this board who would be more than happy to talk with you about Brentwood, which has houses around $100k on occasion.

These are modest homes on modest lots and have many original owners still in the neighborhood mixed with younger people and families looking for affordable housing. Use common sense, some streets are better than others, ask around, even consider going to neighborhood meetings like CAC meetings.

Feel free to ask questions.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:25 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,846,249 times
I've not seen any houses for $100K in Brentwood in a very long time. Homes I've seen listed recently have been $185K.

I remember seeing a ranch for $125K a while ago.

I just rechecked. There IS one, now reduced to $99,900 in Brentwood! (The street name was not familiar to me the first time I checked.) A ranch that had a fire a while ago and was rehabbed and fully met inspection. That's a good deal.

Quote:
North of the beltline: There's one person on this board who would be more than happy to talk with you about Brentwood, which has houses around $100k on occasion.

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 11-02-2010 at 07:17 AM..

Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 AM

804 posts, read 1,746,497 times
i'd be surprised for $100K to purchase any house in a low-crime area that did not require a ridiculous amount of work to rehab it. i'd also second that they consider more rural areas in / outside of the triangle if they have portable jobs.

also, perhaps they could join the C-D forums to ask their questions & seek info on such things? we don't bite

Old 11-02-2010, 07:53 AM

1,878 posts, read 4,659,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
i'd be surprised for $100K to purchase any house in a low-crime area that did not require a ridiculous amount of work to rehab it. i'd also second that they consider more rural areas in / outside of the triangle if they have portable jobs.

also, perhaps they could join the C-D forums to ask their questions & seek info on such things? we don't bite
Exactly. You're going to find a lot of homes that need rehabbing in areas that may me questionable in Durham and Raleigh.

I would look in more rural areas, much of the time they will have modular double wides in that price range. In Mebane there are several listings. Mebane is safe, has a several of its own amenities, and an outlet mall that is opening this weekend. Mebane's about 20+ minutes to Durham and Chapel Hill, and about 30 to Greensboro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary