Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 AM

5 posts, read 13,208 times

Advertisements

My husband and I may be moving to Raleigh in the near future. We are just waiting to hear the final word about his relocation from his job.
My husband will be working near the 440 and 401 interchange. We do not have any children yet but this is one reason we want to move out the DC area.

We currently live in Alexandria, Va, just outside of DC. We love the area and how we can walk to restaraunts, coffee shops and unique stores not only strip malls. I am wondering if there are any neighborhoods in Raleigh like this. I have been to Five Points in the city which I think was great but I think the area is too pricey and too in the city for us. We are looking for a single family home with a yard for my chocolate lab and would like to stay under $300K. My husband wants to move and rent for a while but with interst rates so low right now we may buy right away. So I am just trying to get as much information on specific neighborhoods as possible.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 12:18 PM

41 posts, read 83,088 times
Cameron Village is probably the closest thing to what you want. But it is downtown, and not cheap.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:26 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,159,963 times
North Hills has some stuff (expensive) but Raleigh is not a walkable city and is lethal to pedestrians.

You will dearly miss the Metro.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:36 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,933,782 times
Hillsborough, maybe, but it would be a hike to his job.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:37 PM

355 posts, read 957,891 times
Hey there. As a former Old Town resident, I can say that there is nothing like that around here (ah... I miss walking to Misha's and the Majestic). The heart of Chapel Hill/Carrboro comes the closest. There's only a handful of places that come anywhere near that type of walkability (Five Points and Cameron Villiage and North Hills...sort of) and the prices start to get DC-esque if you're looking for a nice place with decent square footage if you're looking for a single family home. We've sucked it up and now live in North Raleigh suburbia.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:59 PM

133 posts, read 393,446 times
In that price range, it's going to be nearly impossible. The type of neighborhood you described is going to cost you well over $500k. You can find nice homes and neighborhoods at lower prices here but I can't think of any where you can walk to cute village settings with shopping/dining.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:50 PM

406 posts, read 787,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelby1234 View Post
In that price range, it's going to be nearly impossible. The type of neighborhood you described is going to cost you well over $500k. You can find nice homes and neighborhoods at lower prices here but I can't think of any where you can walk to cute village settings with shopping/dining.

This is true, we have been disappointed in this.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:40 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,819,944 times
The neighborhoods with the better "amenities" (however that is generally defined) will naturally be the pricier neighborhoods--this is true in any city. Good ole Supply and Demand. Five Points is next to Hayes Barton, one of the most "old, established, expensive" neighborhoods in Raleigh. As others have said Cameron Village would fit the bill but while you can rent an old townhome there (not unlike ones in Arlington), it's not cheap, plus whenever you do have children, the Cameron Village area is not really a "kid" neighborhood--lots of retired people and 20somethings and a funky vibe.

Brier Creek is new and said to be "walkable", but the traffic is pretty heavy around there and I wouldn't want young children around those roads.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:48 AM

43,269 posts, read 77,073,002 times
Don't overlook the Heart of Cary.

It doesn't have the offerings of Cameron Village, North Hills, 5 Points, but there is some interesting stuff going on, and you can likely get a house, needing redecoration, and a yard closer to your price range.

Old 02-20-2010, 05:50 AM

18,051 posts, read 15,649,855 times
There's nothing here with the same ambiance and wealth of resources of Alexandria/Old Towne, in your price point. Chapel Hill and Carrboro probably come closest, but neither is near where your husband's job will be. I think you'll end up in suburbia with strip malls or near a big mall (suburbia comprises 98% of what's available here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary