U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2010, 10:34 PM

2 posts, read 2,381 times

Advertisements

My soon to be wife and I are looking at purchasing a home in the triangle area and we would like some location advice. We are looking to spend 200k-250k. I am a graduate student at UNC, so a reasonable commute to Chapel Hill is a must. My wife will be working at clients all over the triangle area, so as long as we are near some roads/highways so that she can get around we will be fine.

Ideally we want to buy something that is new/newer and does not require a lot of maintenance. We are looking for something with at least 3 bedrooms and at least 2 bathrooms (prefer 2.5). Also, we would really like having either a basement or a large bonus room area. As far as neighborhoods go, we would like something that is safe and family oriented. Does anyone have any advice for us?

So far we have only looked in the area directly surrounding the southpoint mall, and we have liked what is there, but since we do not know the area well, we are afraid we might be missing other good areas.

(Do houses down here generally have basements??)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 10:46 PM

1,878 posts, read 4,666,218 times
That's the best area to meet both of your needs. Have you checked out Woodcroft? The neighborhood is older, but I can't be beat. We don't have many basements in NC, but if you don't mind a townhouse, there are quite a few in Woodcroft with a basement. Both single family and townhomes can be found in your price range. There's also the Woodlake neighborhood which is slightly newer just down the road.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:02 PM

31,662 posts, read 55,462,661 times
SW Durham would work for you, as would Woodcroft.

You might also consider Morrisville, which is central to the entire Triangle. It would be a little farther for your commute to UNC, but puts your wife2be right in the heart of easy freeway access.

You can easily get 1900--2300SF, 3 bedrooms + loft or bonus or 4 BR, and 2.5 baths in your price range.

The basement may be a little more difficult.

Old 11-02-2010, 09:56 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,247,593 times
My wife works at UNC (the business school) and I work for the Itty Bitty Machines company in the Triangle.

SW Durham has worked great for us as a location.

In terms of basements, most that I have seen here have been walk out basements. I would love to have a walk out basement, but you really have to pay a premium for basement lots.

Send me a Direct Message if you want more info on SW Durham (We live in Fairfield).

Best of luck,
Matt

Old 11-17-2010, 10:52 PM

2 posts, read 2,381 times
Thanks for all of the replies. Can anyone comment on the quality of the following neighborhoods (in terms of safety, and convenience (proximity to shopping, etc)):

-Grove Park area of Durham (area off of Sherron Rd)
-Northeast Raleigh (near Forestville Rd/Mitchell Mill rd intersection)

Old 11-18-2010, 07:05 AM

1,878 posts, read 4,666,218 times
Grove Park is a nice family neighborhood. It's still pretty rural out there, but developing. Neither of the neighborhoods you've listed are convienent to UNC. For both of you to have a reasonable commute I would stick with SW Durham and the surrounding area.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:29 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,737,973 times
Agree that Grove Park or NE Raleigh is probably not your best bet as the UNC commute would be tough. The advice about SW Durham Co (Woodroft and surrounding areas) works well for your price points and commute.

Frank

Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 AM

1,840 posts, read 5,135,827 times
Another area to check is off of Pickett Rd in western Durham County. Very easy commute into UNC (down erwin rd), and easy access to all the highways (40, 85, durham freeway) with lots of routes available to avoid traffic. One brand new subdivision with houses at the top of your price range (Carrillon), and lots of older stuff solidly in your price range.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM

11,809 posts, read 27,494,976 times
Morrisville will get you plenty of choices, especially new.

Some of the Morrisville neighborhoods actually have a Cary address so don't get confused!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary