Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,140,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
2. I don't know if the burden in this case rises to 2nd degree murder, but it most certainly meets 'vehicular homicide' criteria.
Unfortunately, this is a very true statement. He won't walk because he is rich, priveledged, or (as PSI says) because of "people like breezemom", but he could easily walk because the charges brought may be hard to prove. If it is deemed vehicular homocide or vehicular mansaughter, and the charge is 2nd degree murder, he walks.

And yes, there is no requirement for doctors to be nice. PSI, you fire your doctor because he or she is not nice. I'll take a doctor with an ego and a bad beside manner any day if they are the best one out there. In fact, one like that saved my daughters life. It takes a certain amount of ego, and a certain level of detachment to have the confidence to cut into a baby that is 10 hours old, make the right decisions, and have it all come out right. Personally, I want someone who is going to waste no time telling me the facts, and who is going to check every ounce of emotion and humanity at the door and focus on the job at hand.

That said, the guy should pay for his crime. Regardless of his level of alcholism, or if he chose to have it or not, he did get into a car and drive, and he is accountable for that. Fully.

IMO, the correct charge is vehicular homocide or manslaughter, the punishment for 2nd degree is probably more fitting, but it is not the crime he committed, and in our legal system (like it or not), that is what counts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 07:20 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,739,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
The girl with the prosthetic leg is 10; the woman killed by Dr. Cook was 20.
Ah, I misread. Thanks, and my apologies.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:21 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,915,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
The sacrifices our good surgeons make in their lives are worth more than that I can assure you, because I interact with them daily and most would trade it all to have more time with their families.
We're talking about one doctor here and if you're trying to defend him then you should really think about what you are saying. If this guy really wanted more time with his family then he wouldn't have been out all day drinking and then having cocktails with another woman that evening! There are NO EXCUSES for his CHOICES that day. And it was "THOSE CHOICES" that killed an innocent young woman!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:40 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,553,270 times
Quote:
There are NO EXCUSES for his CHOICES that day. And it was "THOSE CHOICES" that killed an innocent young woman!
You and I aren't getting it! He was a great, caring surgeon who had an unfortunate disease. It's not his fault!!!

Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 PM

So I learned a man got charged with 2nd degree murder today after he took a life while driving drunk. I guess we'll just have to wait and see how far Cook's money takes him.

Drunken driver convicted on murder charge in fatal wreck :: WRAL.com

Old 11-22-2010, 11:48 PM

345 posts, read 1,057,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You and I aren't getting it! He was a great, caring surgeon who had an unfortunate disease. It's not his fault!!!
No, it isn't his fault, but it is his responsibility to manage his disease. Others are suffering because he failed to do so.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
No, it isn't his fault, but it is his responsibility to manage his disease. Others are suffering because he failed to do so.

How do you know he has a disease? How do you know this isn't his first time going out drinking?

AND YES IT IS HIS FAULT. HE IS A PIECE OF $#!+ WHO MAKES CARELESS DECISIONS ABOUT HIS OWN LIFE AND ENDED UP TAKING SOMEONE ELSE'S!

Last edited by underPSI; 11-23-2010 at 08:24 PM..

Old 11-23-2010, 08:19 PM

17,650 posts, read 15,345,670 times
Didn't he have one (or more) prior DUIs from yrs ago?

Old 11-24-2010, 12:16 PM

1,081 posts, read 2,259,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
How do you know he has a disease? How do you know this isn't his first time going out drinking?

AND YES IT IS HIS FAULT. HE IS A PIECE OF $#!+ WHO MAKES CARELESS DECISIONS ABOUT HIS OWN LIFE AND ENDED UP TAKING SOMEONE ELSE'S!
I'm with you on the disease part. I don't buy that garbage. Dr. Cook just lacked self control. You say he's a POS for what he did. I disagree. It's not something he meant or wanted to do. He should pay according to the law. Either way, he will be paying for this the rest of his life.
You need to get off you high horse. Unless you've never so much as cut someone off in traffic, drove while tired, or perhaps missed a redlight or stop sign, which could have easily had the same end result, I think you should tone down the "POS" talk a bit. I'm just sayin'

Old 11-24-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
You need to get off you high horse. Unless you've never so much as cut someone off in traffic, drove while tired, or perhaps missed a redlight or stop sign, which could have easily had the same end result, I think you should tone down the "POS" talk a bit. I'm just sayin'
You're really trying to compare those to driving drunk? Really? I don't even need to get into that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary