U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 05:27 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,862,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
You're really trying to compare those to driving drunk? Really? I don't even need to get into that one.
A mistake is a mistake.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-24-2010 at 05:35 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2010, 06:01 PM

7,696 posts, read 12,865,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCOriolesfan View Post
A mistake is a mistake.
I tried to stay out of this but can't after the last few post.

Many people are killed in traffic accidents because someone made a
mistake like not seeing a stop sign, crossing a center line accidentally,
not seeing a car and turning into their path.

The result can take a life but they are accidents.... Someone very close to me died this year due to an accident that was another drivers fault. Forgiveness
came quickly..This driver was devastated also..

Being sloppy drunk and deciding to speed down a street and killing
a person is murder & the law supports this statement.
It was careless disregard for another's life....

A mistake is a mistake ?????? Do child predators just make mistakes because they are sick ?? Please....

Old 11-24-2010, 07:38 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,862,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I tried to stay out of this but can't after the last few post.

Many people are killed in traffic accidents because someone made a
mistake like not seeing a stop sign, crossing a center line accidentally,
not seeing a car and turning into their path.

The result can take a life but they are accidents.... Someone very close to me died this year due to an accident that was another drivers fault. Forgiveness
came quickly..This driver was devastated also..

Being sloppy drunk and deciding to speed down a street and killing
a person is murder & the law supports this statement.
It was careless disregard for another's life....

A mistake is a mistake ?????? Do child predators just make mistakes because they are sick ?? Please....
The law doesn't support that at all. For it to be murder there must be intent or an understanding that one's actions could harm or kill someone. You can not tell me that someone with a .22 BAC took action that they thought might harm a person. They are not thinking straight. I think Dr Cook should do a couple of years for what he did. I'm just saying he is NOT a murderer.
As far as the child molester comparison, get a life.

Old 11-24-2010, 07:59 PM

3,148 posts, read 6,963,341 times
Quote:
The law doesn't support that at all. For it to be murder there must be intent or an understanding that one's actions could harm or kill someone.
Oh, but the law DOES support that. Go back and re-read post #35 in this thread. Be sure to follow the link in that post as well.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/16753872-post35.html

Quote:
You can not tell me that someone with a .22 BAC took action that they thought might harm a person. They are not thinking straight. I think Dr Cook should do a couple of years for what he did. I'm just saying he is NOT a murderer.
We've already gone through all this. If he suddenly developed a case of the .22 BAC blues what you are saying would make sense. But he didn't. He drank his way to that point. His disregard for other human life and what constitutes murder is the fact that he had prior knowledge of what might happen if he were to drive after the consumption of alcohol. He made the decision while sober to continue to drink and not plan for a ride home. In fact, he had been cut off at the bar so all he really had to do was ask for them to arrange a cab ride home for him. But he chose not to do so.
The only way people could not understand this is if they have never been drunk in their life. I've been so drunk in my earlier years to the point of almost passing out. However, I still knew the consequences of driving drunk. Did I choose not to drive drunk because of the impact it might have had on others? No, I was drunk and didn't care about anyone else. However, I did care enough about myself to not want to suffer either legal consequences or injury. Cook just didn't care about anything and that, in my opinion, makes him a POS.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:21 PM

345 posts, read 910,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
How do you know he has a disease? How do you know this isn't his first time going out drinking?

AND YES IT IS HIS FAULT. HE IS A PIECE OF $#!+ WHO MAKES CARELESS DECISIONS ABOUT HIS OWN LIFE AND ENDED UP TAKING SOMEONE ELSE'S!
Rage much?

I don't know he has the disease. Do you know he doesn't? I'm not trying to make excuses for him. Everyone makes mistakes...not all of those mistakes result in someone's death. I've made a couple of my own that could have, but I was fortunate...one more thing to be thankful for.

Your anger doesn't help anyone (except maybe you...but I doubt it). I doubt that young woman is looking down upon him with rage, for she is in a better place than we are. I imagine her parents would rather we hold compassion in our hearts for her, and not let our anger for him overshadow HER life.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:40 PM

3,148 posts, read 6,963,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
Your anger doesn't help anyone (except maybe you...but I doubt it).
My anger towards drunk drivers that has been read in this thread might save a life one day if just one person who has read it remembers it and decides to call a cab instead of driving drunk.

Old 11-24-2010, 08:56 PM

6,332 posts, read 8,014,820 times
I'm sure Dr. Cook didn't mean to injure, let alone kill, anyone. His intent was not to do that. But he did commit vehicular homicide as a direct result of his actions. I personally don't think this crime rises to the level of 2nd degree murder, however, I'm sure the state is going for it because a jury may decide to convict on the lesser (but included) vehicular homicide charge. They want to cover all their bases and try for the maximum conviction possible.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-24-2010 at 09:19 PM.. Reason: Edited out reference to deleted post

Old 11-24-2010, 09:16 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,673,742 times
Quote:
The law doesn't support that at all. For it to be murder there must be intent or an understanding that one's actions could harm or kill someone. You can not tell me that someone with a .22 BAC took action that they thought might harm a person. They are not thinking straight. I think Dr Cook should do a couple of years for what he did. I'm just saying he is NOT a murderer.
As far as the child molester comparison, get a life.

Yes he is a murderer, just because you don't intend on killing someone and you do doesn't give you a pass in regards to murder.

What he did is the same as firing a gun into a crowd, then crying saying you didn't mean to hit anyone.

A dentist in Tampa, FL drove drunk and reckless killing two young people who were walking on a sidewalk leaving their jobs and walking to a parking structure to get in their cars. Both of them( a young man and woman were just finishing up their education at the University of Tampa). The young man was hit so hard he ended up going over the bridge.

Did the dentist intend on killing them that night? No he didn't , but he did and it is murder. A car is a deadly weapon and when the driver is fueled with alcohol and/or drugs, it is not an "accident".

This same dentist was given a ticket for reckless driving only 10 days prior for doing 90mph in a 55mph zone.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:44 PM

6,332 posts, read 8,014,820 times
Quote:
Did the dentist intend on killing them that night? No he didn't , but he did and it is murder.
It might not rise to the necessary burden to prove murder, based on the language and interpretation of the law. But it most certainly meets a 'vehicular homicide' charge. And yes, there is a difference.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:09 PM

16,785 posts, read 19,673,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
Rage much?

I don't know he has the disease. Do you know he doesn't? I'm not trying to make excuses for him. Everyone makes mistakes...not all of those mistakes result in someone's death. I've made a couple of my own that could have, but I was fortunate...one more thing to be thankful for.

Your anger doesn't help anyone (except maybe you...but I doubt it). I doubt that young woman is looking down upon him with rage, for she is in a better place than we are. I imagine her parents would rather we hold compassion in our hearts for her, and not let our anger for him overshadow HER life.

Happy Thanksgiving!
I love it when people say "they're in a better place", a 20 yr old woman is robbed, yes robbed, of quite possibly 50 or 60 years of life and you make a comment like that.

Maybe you would like to trade places with her?

And you don't know her parents, so you have no right to say how they should feel. If they choose to forgive so be it, if they choose to be angry that is fine as well.

There is nothing worse than a parent burying a child, and when it is due to someone's reckless and drunk behavior it makes it unbearable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary