U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:39 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,994,152 times

Advertisements

I think there's little discussion because the case is pretty much evident...there's no special 'aha' moment or mystery.

The doc drove drunk and got in an accident and killed a beautiful young woman. There is no disputing the fact he was drunk. There is no disputing the fact that he was going over the speed limit. And there is no disputing the fact that a woman died as a result.

The only real 'debate' is if the crime rises to the level of 2nd degree murder.

Plus, of course, every time a murder case is brought up on this forum for discussion, someone always 'tsks tsks', refers to those who discuss it as 'gossipers,' and tries to shame the participants into not discussing it. Better that TWC or the Cary guy who spray painted his house should be discussed for the 1,000th time, I guess.

People, there is nothing wrong with discussing a local news event! Don't let anyone shame you into justifying your interest in something that is important. People care about what happens to other people. It's normal to want to understand these things and discuss them. Local crime and big cases are worthy of your attention and discussion. Don't feel shame and don't take the bait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2011, 09:14 AM

7,695 posts, read 12,845,131 times
For those that are watching the trial, there is one thing I don't understand
about Piper's manager's testimony yesterday..

She seemed to do a lot to be sure Dr Cook wasn't driving and to respond when a customer complained about him being impaired and stumbling around. She then observed him and felt he was very drunk .She followed him into the parking lot to see whether he was driving.

But when she saw him return towards Piper's she went back inside without checking to be sure he was not seated inside and allowed to order
drinks. That seems to be exactly what happened and she only cut him off after she realized he was being loud and cussing .

For those following this trial what are your thoughts on that ?

Old 02-19-2011, 09:21 AM

6,321 posts, read 7,994,152 times
Not sure why she did the about-face on his 2nd journey into the bar, but since bar managers/owners can be held liable in serving drinks to an obviously intoxicated patron, she is probably trying to limit any liability, showing how she went out of her way to follow him to the parking lot (in scenario #1). Remember there are 2 places a plaintiff can attempt to get remedy in the court system (criminal AND civil litigation).

Old 02-19-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Better that TWC or the Cary guy who spray painted his house should be discussed for the 1,000th time, I guess.
Very good point...I was thinking the same thing...

Different threads interest different people..

I have a novel idea...Only open the threads that interest you...

Old 02-20-2011, 08:11 AM

814 posts, read 1,702,880 times
Kelly, I was wondering the same, but recall reading that the first time she followed him to the parking lot, she talked to him and he told her he did not have his keys. The "woman" then came to meet him in his car, and they went back inside together. I guess the assumption was that the woman was driving. I recall something in an article about the manager saying to the woman "when are you taking him home" (that was when she found them outside kissing by the car).

AMazingly, it sound like maybe the woman drove him away, but them maybe brought him back to the bar to drive himself home? I am guessing more will be revealed. It looks like he may have left the bar twice.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usedtobe VaNC View Post
Kelly, I was wondering the same, but recall reading that the first time she followed him to the parking lot, she talked to him and he told her he did not have his keys. The "woman" then came to meet him in his car, and they went back inside together. I guess the assumption was that the woman was driving. I recall something in an article about the manager saying to the woman "when are you taking him home" (that was when she found them outside kissing by the car).

AMazingly, it sound like maybe the woman drove him away, but them maybe brought him back to the bar to drive himself home? I am guessing more will be revealed. It looks like he may have left the bar twice.
I have heard that the lady he was kissing on will be testifying..What if she says she was driving and left the scene ...I don't think anyone saw him get out of the car..I wouldn't put it past the defense team..

Old 02-21-2011, 11:46 AM

351 posts, read 683,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have heard that the lady he was kissing on will be testifying..What if she says she was driving and left the scene ...I don't think anyone saw him get out of the car..I wouldn't put it past the defense team..
Not sure that would happen. Didn't the defense team already concede that Cook was driving in excess of the speed limit?

Old 03-01-2011, 01:08 PM

306 posts, read 766,726 times
Guilty on three counts... his sentence?? 36 MONTHS in jail. They give more time for tax evasion...

Old 03-01-2011, 01:22 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,159,778 times
He was not found guilty of second degree murder:
Quote:
The jury chose to find him guilty of the lesser charges of involuntary manslaughter and felony death by motor vehicle, but, by law, he can only be sentenced on one of those charges.

Smith sentenced Cook on the felony death by motor vehicle charge because the jury agreed with the prosecution that an aggravating factor existed. They agreed that Cook "knowingly created a great risk of death by means of a device to more than one person by a device that could be dangerous to more than one person."
[From WRAL]

Old 03-01-2011, 01:32 PM

103 posts, read 136,841 times
Would have been a good chance to send a message. Oh well. Guess there were a couple of heavy drinkers on that jury.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary