U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 AM

7,695 posts, read 12,841,965 times

Advertisements

Apparently he declined a plea deal and is in court
now. Sure hope he serves real hard time .
Vote today for some tougher judges !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 08:06 AM

4,236 posts, read 6,189,036 times
Yeah he should be locked away for a few years at least

Old 11-02-2010, 10:08 AM

517 posts, read 1,398,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
Apparently he declined a plea deal and is in court
now. Sure hope he serves real hard time .
Vote today for some tougher judges !!!
And now the trial's been postponed.

Interesting that he declined the plea deal. I can't imagine he's going to get a better outcome by going before a jury.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:22 AM

6,926 posts, read 5,576,164 times
Default Dr. Cook's murder trial for DUI ballerina death

I'm sure he didn't take a plea because he wants to accept his guilt and pay for what he has done wrong.

My gosh he's a Dr. he knows the law, he took an aspiring young woman's life, I know a jury in today's world is sick n' tired of the innocent losing their lives because of senseless thinking on the part of those who choose to drink and drive.

Yes, don't take a plea. Take what the jury gives you and remember every day you chose to drink and drive and took a life doing it ........

Old 11-02-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopedelivers View Post
I'm sure he didn't take a plea because he wants to accept his guilt and pay for what he has done wrong.
That would be a refreshing change. I'll believe it when I see the guilty plea.

Old 11-02-2010, 11:44 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,155,718 times
Criminal cases are rarely a simple matter of "did he do it or not." Criminal charges have various elements that a prosecutor must prove beyond a reasonable doubt. Cook is chared with several crimes, one of which is second degree murder, which requires a proof of "malice" within the meaning of the law. As described by the News and Observer:
Quote:
Under the second-degree murder charge, a jury would be asked to decide whether a man with a history of drunken driving charges acted with malice if, as investigators allege, he left the North Raleigh bar sped along Strickland and Lead Mine roads while impaired.

To prove malice, North Carolina law requires prosecutors to show that the defendant intended to drive in a reckless manner that reflected knowledge that injury or death would likely result.
I don't know what kind of plea deal may have been offered to Cook, and which of the several crimes he is charged with he was asked to plead guilty to. His lawyer may have advised rejecting the deal thinking that the prosecution would be unable to prove some of the elements of the most serious charges. (And it appears today that the prosecution found a last-minute glitch in the grand jury indictment that would in fact have prevented them from successfully pursuing a second degree murder charge.)

Old 11-02-2010, 01:42 PM

36,434 posts, read 41,620,437 times
I haven't heard too much about this case but I do find it interesting he is referred to as a former doctor. While he may not be practicing, he is still a doctor. Even if he turned in his license, he is still a doctor. Could someone enlighten me on the specifics?

I know he was a habitual drunk driver but why is he referred to as a former doctor?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I haven't heard too much about this case but I do find it interesting he is referred to as a former doctor. While he may not be practicing, he is still a doctor. Even if he turned in his license, he is still a doctor. Could someone enlighten me on the specifics? I know he was a habitual drunk driver but why is he referred to as a former doctor?
He surrendered his medical license after charges were brought against him, probably to avoid being stripped of it by the state medical board. Just guessing, but it may be easier to gain reinstatement in the future if he gives it up voluntarily with no findings against him.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I know he was a habitual drunk driver but why is he referred to as a former doctor?
Because journalists are imprecise outside their areas of expertise and because "former doctor" fits better into a headline than does "doctor who is no longer licensed or employed to practice medicine."

Sort of like the WRAL headlines today that refer to the recently discovered "fake leg" that belonged to the missing 10-year-old. I suppose prosthetic might confuse the masses too much.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntHombre View Post
Because journalists are imprecise outside their areas of expertise and because "former doctor" fits better into a headline than does "doctor who is no longer licensed or employed to practice medicine."
"Doctor" is a degree. "Physician" is a profession.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary