U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 10:12 AM

20,009 posts, read 15,177,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
The Ellmers race was fascinating. She lost Cumberland County in a major way, which surprised me because of Fort Bragg, but she had that ad that might not have gone over too well with the soldiers.

So, she's never run for office before...and she won...and campaigned against Washington and will now join it...let's see how THAT'S going to work.

Thank you, District 4, for sticking with Price.

No more robocalls !
They're going to have a good ol' time carving up the 4th. Scoot off the pseudo-intellectual coffeeshop trolls to the 6th and extend the 13th into the 1st, please! Leave Ellmers to run on her record, although I think they'll try to pad her district to ensure re-election by pushing off Dem partisans into the 1st. The 3rd is lost, so just suck up Republicans westward. The 13th and 4th can be won by careful gerrymandering. The only problem is that instead of someone who is anti-war and anti-Patriot Act (unlike Price who favors the Afghan war and the Patriot act), they'll pick up a Roach-like (I mean Roche-like) moneychanging carpetbagger. It'll be hard to believe that Lawson will be given a third chance, even if the redistricting and coming double dip depression and imminent triangle area housing collapse favors his chances, given that he like myself predicted this years before it happened.

Miller and Price: poster children for term limits.

Last edited by summers73; 11-04-2010 at 10:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 03:22 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,668,197 times
Looks like North Carolina has our own little Karl Rove to engineer elections.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM

15 posts, read 11,285 times
Historically democrats have had a big fund raising advantage over republicans with the infusion of union cash in various forms. I wouldn't call the results engineered this year without calling previous years engineered when the cash advantage was on the other side of the fence. I think the people spoke and it is what it is. First the school board and now the legislature. Up next may be Bev's job.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:43 PM

124 posts, read 271,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Ellmers claims victory; Etheridge wants votes counted :: WRAL.com

And Etheridge may want a recount.
How predictable: Run an inept, dishonest campaign but blame everyone else for all the votes he burned.
Etheridge did a number on himself when he grabbed that young man with a video camera by the collar. I'm sure people who didn't even know he was their representative until they were in the ballot booth recognized his name and quickly choose whoever was running against him.

Not to discount Ellmers -- I'm glad she won, for the simple fact that that's how representatives are supposed to work -- someone has real-life experience in a field, chooses to go into public service for their community for a period of time... then returns to real-life after a reasonable time. These career politicians are ridiculous.... no matter what party, they become corrupted/ jaded/ out-of-touch with reality, and thus ineffective, after a certain period of time. And Etheridge demostrated well that with his collar-grab move.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 PM

1,840 posts, read 5,128,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosportsfan View Post
Historically democrats have had a big fund raising advantage over republicans with the infusion of union cash in various forms. I wouldn't call the results engineered this year without calling previous years engineered when the cash advantage was on the other side of the fence. I think the people spoke and it is what it is. First the school board and now the legislature. Up next may be Bev's job.
I think you're barking up the wrong state. Unions are non-existent in NC.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:44 PM

29,463 posts, read 33,710,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Looks like North Carolina has our own little Karl Rove to engineer elections.
Eventually after you get elected you still need to do something to make life better for folks. Either party or both still need to solve the employment issue.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosportsfan View Post
In your opinion can the citizens of Wake expect the same level of competence and performance by the newly constituted legislature as they have come to expect from the Wake School Board? I am sure they would love to know your opinion. If you think the school board has done a great job say so and assure folks the legislature will also.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:16 AM

3,154 posts, read 3,820,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post

Thank you, District 4, for sticking with Price.
Hopefully, the new NC legislature will redraw the 4th district to have Price in Chapel Hill/Orange County and get him out of the Wake County areas that don't believe in his liberal views.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowNC View Post
Etheridge did a number on himself when he grabbed that young man with a video camera by the collar. I'm sure people who didn't even know he was their representative until they were in the ballot booth recognized his name and quickly choose whoever was running against him.

Not to discount Ellmers -- I'm glad she won, for the simple fact that that's how representatives are supposed to work -- someone has real-life experience in a field, chooses to go into public service for their community for a period of time... then returns to real-life after a reasonable time. These career politicians are ridiculous.... no matter what party, they become corrupted/ jaded/ out-of-touch with reality, and thus ineffective, after a certain period of time. And Etheridge demostrated well that with his collar-grab move.
Attack ad admission in heated congressional race | abc11.com
[quote]The National Republican Congressional Committee is admitting it is behind the now infamous video of Congressman Bob Etheridge grabbing a young man on a street in Washington.

Quote:
In a statement to ABC11 an Ellmers' advisor said, "Renee Ellmers did not have any prior knowledge of this or any other type of Republican plan to re-take the US House. Furthermore concerning the video clip of Congressman Etheridge. we learned about the incident when it hit the internet."

The Republican strategists said one reason they went public was because nothing they say now can influence the election or at least the outcome.

Some political observers say the incident may just be part of a new round of dirty politics.
Hmmm is this the way they plan to govern? Please do share!

Old 11-05-2010, 07:59 AM

712 posts, read 3,710,237 times
[quote=TuborgP;16537584]Attack ad admission in heated congressional race | abc11.com
Quote:
The National Republican Congressional Committee is admitting it is behind the now infamous video of Congressman Bob Etheridge grabbing a young man on a street in Washington.
Are you suprised? Everyone knew that already - who else would be behind that stunt besides the Republicans? It still doesn't excuse Etheridge from acting like a thug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary