U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 09:07 AM

29,463 posts, read 33,715,394 times

Advertisements

[quote=dedratermi;16537711]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Attack ad admission in heated congressional race | abc11.com

Are you suprised? Everyone knew that already - who else would be behind that stunt besides the Republicans? It still doesn't excuse Etheridge from acting like a thug.
The bottom line is that their is now admission and they are laughing about it. The residents of the district will get to live with the level of the service provided and the leader of the new congressman. Just as the change in the board of Wake has brought new direction and leadership to their school system. That will be the ultimate outcome of it all. GOVERNANCE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 10:59 PM

1,710 posts, read 2,101,809 times
1 thing for sure, we may argue the issues here, but we all need to stay behind our elected officials to do what is right for our state and our nation. We can't cry over wasteful government spending, then say it's OK if we can just "get a piece of it". We should stay on them by phone, letters, visits, etc. and remind them of their promises.

Old 11-06-2010, 02:16 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,423,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Well, that's the most effective way to communicate with officials.

How do you communicate with officials? Or do you at all?
I meet with the face to face. I spend a lot of time over at the General Assembly. That's were I see all those letter, neatly stacked, next to the recycle bin.

Old 11-06-2010, 06:19 AM

1,710 posts, read 2,101,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I meet with the face to face. I spend a lot of time over at the General Assembly. That's were I see all those letter, neatly stacked, next to the recycle bin.
That's good that you do that. I can't as easily go to the GA, though I could go to local offices of our reps. I may start doing that. I'll ask face to face why our state allows so many criminals on the streets with so little prison time, for starters. Other issues I've written them about are abuses of eminent domain, abuses of declared state of emergency, Castle Doctrine and taxes.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:54 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,726,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
You obviously didn't live here when a certain Senator Helms was running for his last couple of terms. The Helms/Hunt campaign of 1984 is actually mentioned in several political science textbooks about negative campaigning, as is the 1990 "white hands" ad against Harvey Gantt.

NC is probably just about the "purplest" state there is, but it fluctuates back and forth as the political tides do. However, this is the first time in over a century that both statehouses are GOP. Nationally, we are still about 50-50, with 1/1 in the Senate and 7/6 in the House. We've never been indigo and we aren't bright red, either, but different voices will prevail from time to time. Unfortunately, in a bad economy, everybody wants to blame someone, and usually the part-in-power is the lucky recipient. If there's still recession in 2012, expect a swing back towards the middle/purple.
I think this is an interesting topic ... I saw a letter in the N&O Friday where (I think) the writer was insinuating some sort of voting irregularity due to the large amounts of split ticket voting in NC. Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I've always tended to vote for a candidate and not a party - I don't believe I've ever voted a straight party ticket.
Thoughts here? Do you'all pull that straight party lever?

Frank

Old 11-06-2010, 09:31 AM

15 posts, read 11,288 times
I think this is an interesting topic ... I saw a letter in the N&O Friday where (I think) the writer was insinuating some sort of voting irregularity due to the large amounts of split ticket voting in NC. Maybe I'm an anomaly, but I've always tended to vote for a candidate and not a party - I don't believe I've ever voted a straight party ticket.
Thoughts here? Do you'all pull that straight party lever?

Frank

^^^ In four decades of voting I never once voted a straight ticket. I always studied each candidate and made a decision based on the most pressing issue at that point. I broke with that philosophy this time and voted a straight ticket for the first time. It was tough to do but was necessary. The reason I did it was simple. I believe in shared power and it became apparent something needed to be done to get us back there. I don't think the extremes of either side will ever see eye to eye and I don't think one should have to live under the rules of the other. When I look at history I see the most prosperous times are when power is split and both sides need to find common ground. We have been experiencing wave elections for decades now and that trend caught up to NC this time. The waves last four to six years. I don't think the politicians understand what the people are asking for. The majority of voters are looking to keep taxes down and spending under control. This seems to be foreign to politicians of either party. If the current wave that finally made it all the way into NC holds true, Bev may be in trouble next time around before the wave switches direction again. Maybe this time politicians on both sides got the message. If this is the case I think Bev may be a good match with the new legislature. Bev does not strike me as an extremist and seems to understand the importance of catering to business to bring them to our state. She has been aggressive at reducing cost. I think her relationship with the new legislature will be good. For our good it better be. One thing everyone needs to understand is there will be pain. We are going to have to give some things up for a while to get our finances in order. Many things may need to be done such as increasing high school class size to 50, defunding schools sports programs, reducing funding to the universities, building more toll roads, increasing the unemployment rate of state employees, increasing private interests in the school system for competition, bigger tax breaks for business coming to our state and so many other things need to be on the table. If we can suck up the pain for 5 to 10 years we can set ourselves on a better road for the future. When times are tough we need to cut back to the bone. We should take advantage of good times to catch up with building roads and schools. It's like running your own budget at home. If you lose your job you cut back. Politicians were taught a lesson about what we want over the last 20 years but they are slow learners. We will know they finally understand when the wave election phenomenon finally stops.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:19 AM

3,861 posts, read 9,277,878 times
Price, again. :/ The guy was first elected when I was in middle school (I am 38 now). Even if I LOVE a candidate, a few terms is all I want to see. Even a saint would be corrupted in DC if given enough time.

Old 11-06-2010, 10:21 AM

407 posts, read 1,129,412 times
I voted a very split ticket and had reasons for every choice I made (and I left all those judges blank because, well, I didn't know enough about them to make choices). I was thinking that it could drive a party-loyal person crazy to look at my ballot and try to understand the reasons why.

I also voted a split ticket 2 years ago. What I find interesting is that there were so many split tickets this time, yet 2 years ago I believe McCrory lost the governor's race solely because of straight-ticket voting.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:04 AM

11,792 posts, read 27,455,077 times
I, also, left all the judges blank. I had no idea who any of them were! Quite a few of the agents in my office said the same thing!

Hard to vote for anyone anymore. Most of the stuff they say isn't accurate. The other candidate's ad against them just annoys me. Why can't you tell me what YOU do and what YOU believe in instead of putting a spin on what the other candidate says?

I don't care for politics. Yawn.

Vicki

Old 11-06-2010, 04:33 PM

29,463 posts, read 33,715,394 times
I suspect soon there will be a lot of interest and discussion about the consequences of soon to be developed budget cuts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary