U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2010, 02:10 PM

932 posts, read 2,734,889 times

Advertisements

I can't imagine why Photo ID's aren't required to vote. Only about half of the states require an ID, and only a few of those require a photo ID.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2010, 02:31 PM

5,703 posts, read 8,318,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyz80 View Post
It's ridiculous, honestly. I can go to the NC Board of Elections web site and look up ANYONE's registration status and party affiliation. I could easily find a batch of people with affiliations opposing mine, and beat them to the polls with their own information.
I thought about that too - it *does* seem a little strange. What if you had an archenemy who had different political leanings and they voted for you? Have I watched too many movies ?

Last edited by NM posts; 11-02-2010 at 02:33 PM.. Reason: I meant to say it differently

Old 11-02-2010, 02:39 PM

814 posts, read 1,705,401 times
Quote:
What if you had an archenemy who had different political leanings and they voted for you? Have I watched too many movies ?
As noted before, that would be voter fraud...a felony. If you want to risk jail time to make someone mad...well. And as also said before, due to the low voter turnout, the Elections Boards have been working hard to make it easier to vote (i.e. same day registration, early voting) not that I think it was hard in the first place. And the line between how to make sure everyone can vote easily and to protect against voter fraud is a tough one. Our precinct is a pretty tight ship, run by the same group every year, very impressive. I also know that both parties have poll watchers that roam from precinct to precinct, watching for issues. The Elections Board also have people going from precinct to precinct. As a lawyer, I worked voter protection for the presidential election.....and was impressed by the election officials in the precinct I worked in Greensboro (although have heard that the police in Greensboro, have ONCE AGAIN, put a police checkpoint on one of the main streets near a few precincts. They did it during the primary, and got flack, although they say it is "routine", you would think that they would not be so stupid as to do it again....not like they didn't know what day it was.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:04 PM

100 posts, read 280,103 times
I've lived in 4 states and have never had to show ID to vote

Old 11-02-2010, 03:16 PM

2,042 posts, read 2,378,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoopDeLoop View Post
i stated only my first & last name to which she repeated it & then said are you at "blah-blah-address"? which i confirmed.
This is unlawful procedure on the part of the precinct official, and the administrator of the precinct should be notified at once. North Carolina General Statues 163‑166.7 says:

A precinct official assigned to check registration shall at once ask the voter to state current name and residence address. The voter shall answer by stating current name and residence address. In a primary election, that voter shall also be asked to state, and shall state, the political party with which the voter is affiliated or, if unaffiliated, the authorizing party in which the voter wishes to vote. After examination, that official shall state whether that voter is duly registered to vote in that precinct and shall direct that voter to the voting equipment or to the official assigned to distribute official ballots. If a precinct official states that the person is duly registered, the person shall sign the pollbook, other voting record, or voter authorization document in accordance with subsection (c) of this section before voting.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:17 PM

869 posts, read 2,604,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Athletic Supporter View Post
I've lived in 4 states and have never had to show ID to vote
I've lived in 2, and in 32 years of voting my spoken address and name were sufficient.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:23 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,695,687 times
This is an issue that has always irked me, and yes, it would be child's play to go and vote in someone else's place, particulalry with early voting when you have two weeks do to so and not even at the proper precinct. Of course, they'd need to be the same gender and approximate age, but even then, I wonder--at what point is a poll worker allowed to question someone. Suppose a 20something white person said they were someone whose voter record showed them to be black and age 65? By law, they cannot ask for ID, but surely they don't just hand over a ballot, either?

Requiring a simple ID would solve a lot of what-ifs. And though officially Unaffiliated, I'm someone who usually votes Democratic, the party that would "supposedly" be hurt by enforcing this rule.

Old 11-02-2010, 03:48 PM

1,036 posts, read 2,825,321 times
There is no boogeyman. No one is trying to steal your vote. Not even Acorn.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:10 PM

229 posts, read 563,250 times
Well I guess the flipside is that I should be able to send a day laborer to jury duty for me, since they should make it just as easy to defraud entry there...

Old 11-02-2010, 04:12 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,422,362 times
If there were any evidence of voter fraud in the Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill area, then maybe a photo ID requirement would be necessary. But there's not that I've heard of, and it wouldn't be too challenging to do a spot check of vote records to see if there was any evidence. So until there is, why make it more difficult?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary