U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:18 PM

5,704 posts, read 8,354,730 times

Advertisements

Oops (I admit to posting w/o reading the whole thing...)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 AM

9,198 posts, read 21,253,876 times
Never fear, help is on the way. According to the N&O, the new state Republican majority plans to pass a Voter ID law as part of its legistlative priorities:
Quote:
In the first 100 days of the 2010 legislative session, Republican leaders in the House say they will pass the following legislation:
  • The Healthcare Freedom Protection Act, exempting North Carolinians from mandates of the federal Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act
  • Reducing the regulatory burden on small businesses
  • "Funding education in the classroom, not the bureaucracy"
  • Elimination of the cap on charter schools
  • Passing the Honest Election Act, which would require a valid photo ID to vote
  • Passing the eminent domain constitutional amendment to protect private property rights

Old 11-04-2010, 08:50 AM

3,793 posts, read 7,204,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
If you appear at the polls and someone else has already voted under your identity, an investigation will ensue and the previously cast ballot will almost certainly be set aside in favor of yours.
So my ballot is connected to my name? It isn't enough that the poll worker watches and that the people waiting in line can see? Bring back the ballot boxes!

The most surprising thing for me the first time I voted in NC was that campaigning is allowed right outside the polling place. I was offered a "voters' guide" about 20 feet from the door, there were signs everywhere, and the two candidates for sheriff had tables set up across from each other. One table had boxes of little things they were apparently giving away. (I didn't go close enough to see what it was.)

Old 11-04-2010, 10:03 AM

2,808 posts, read 3,795,668 times
A Photo ID requirement can be seen as a poll tax for some people, as not everyone has a driver's license/state ID card (and even then, they're not free) or access to other commonly-accepted photo IDs like employee or student ID cards.

It's a fine line to walk...

Old 11-04-2010, 11:04 AM

745 posts, read 753,555 times
After reading the comments here and other places about why ID isn't required to vote, I'm starting to think a history test should be required too. I'm also curious to when you last voted? It has always been that way and is that way in most states.

Last edited by BullCity75; 11-04-2010 at 11:21 AM..

Old 11-04-2010, 03:10 PM

10,325 posts, read 18,754,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
So my ballot is connected to my name? It isn't enough that the poll worker watches and that the people waiting in line can see? Bring back the ballot boxes!
Yes, this is a somewhat new phenomenon, but they do write a number on your ballot that can link it back to you. I'm surprised that doesn't violate the "secret ballot" rules, but OTOH it is the only way to invalidate a ballot deemed to be fraudulent.

Quote:
The most surprising thing for me the first time I voted in NC was that campaigning is allowed right outside the polling place. I was offered a "voters' guide" about 20 feet from the door, there were signs everywhere, and the two candidates for sheriff had tables set up across from each other. One table had boxes of little things they were apparently giving away. (I didn't go close enough to see what it was.)
I'm pretty sure there is a certain distance they have to be from the polling site, though where exactly is considered the boundary of the "polling site", I don't know (so if it were in a gymnasium, the far end of the gym might be OK even if it were actually inside the same room, if the "border" of the site were marked somehow). I do know that there were reports this cycle of people getting closer than they are allowed, with candidate literature.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:20 PM

2,932 posts, read 6,741,205 times
I voted for the first time in my district and they didn't ask me for ID.

Old 11-04-2010, 09:31 PM

745 posts, read 753,555 times
I'm guessing you either registered in person, or provided your drivers license number on the form. Here's the regulations:

On the registration application, the voter must provide their driver's license number or, if the applicant does not have a driver's license number, the last four digits of the applicant's social security number.

If the voter is registering by mail and cannot provide their driver's license number or last four digits of their social security number, the voter must submit a copy of one of the following forms of identification with the application. If the voter does not provide this information, they will be required to provide one of these forms of identification to an election official when they vote for the first time:

* A current and valid photo identification
* A current utility bill, or bank statement, government check or paycheck, or a government document that shows the voter's name and address as it appears on the registration application.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:27 PM

2,638 posts, read 4,818,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I'm pretty sure there is a certain distance they have to be from the polling site, though where exactly is considered the boundary of the "polling site", I don't know (so if it were in a gymnasium, the far end of the gym might be OK even if it were actually inside the same room, if the "border" of the site were marked somehow). I do know that there were reports this cycle of people getting closer than they are allowed, with candidate literature.
North Carolina General Statute 163-147 prohibits loitering, congregating, distributing campaign material, or electioneering within 50 feet of the entrance to the polling place.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:47 PM

8,269 posts, read 21,891,214 times
At my polling place, they actually had it demarcated with black and yellow tape saying "no campaigning past this line."
Of course, they were all just standing on the line...whatever, LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary