U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-03-2010, 08:13 AM
 
5,359 posts, read 15,080,450 times
Reputation: 3990

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
If. . . . . . you are good at networking with folks here, you will do just fine. It just might take more time to find something.
The OP is moving here from Ohio. He probably doesn't know a single soul here in the Triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 AM
 
6,185 posts, read 13,873,680 times
Reputation: 4457
You can still be good at networking even if you don't know a soul here. Some people are good at it and some people aren't. It's all about meeting people and making connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
The OP is moving here from Ohio. He probably doesn't know a single soul here in the Triangle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 08:40 AM
 
9,198 posts, read 21,210,489 times
Reputation: 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
I tend do disagree with a lot of the negative job-related posts in this thread. Although, I do agree the competition is more stiff than it is in other cities. If you are good at what you do and you are good at networking with folks here, you will do just fine. It just might take more time to find something.
It seems a lot of the negative posts tend to focus on jobs within the IT industry itself (IBM, Cisco, etc.) But there are "IT jobs" of one type or another in just about every decently sized company. Few jobs in any field are plentiful these days, but there are some companies in some industries that do still have openings from time to time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM
 
1,119 posts, read 1,976,664 times
Reputation: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
The OP is moving here from Ohio. He probably doesn't know a single soul here in the Triangle.
There are plenty of groups he can get involved with, that hold regular meetings. Heading out to those, having a few drinks and chatting with people in the the industry will help greatly. Yeah, it takes a little bit of time to build relationships, but a lot of times, this is a great way to meet people that actually hire people. Sure beats sending your resume in via monster.com.

Also, linkedin is a great resource. Send a message out and ask for recommendations. Then search for jobs. If you see something you like, send a message to the person on linkedin that posted it. Have it be a well thought out message that declares your intentions for wanting an interview. Be creative! Using social media is a hot thing these days, especially in IT where "nerdy internet types" hang out.

There are ways to find good jobs, and there are plenty out there.

Hell, I just got an email from Red Hat the other day, 4 new job postings. I got a similar email just a few weeks prior to that. I know that Duke has openings. A few new companies have announced they're hiring (posted here on CD).

So don't go telling people nobody is hiring and that it's impossible to get a job. It's not...but watching TV all day and praying for an email isn't gonna do you any good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
It seems a lot of the negative posts tend to focus on jobs within the IT industry itself (IBM, Cisco, etc.) But there are "IT jobs" of one type or another in just about every decently sized company. Few jobs in any field are plentiful these days, but there are some companies in some industries that do still have openings from time to time.
Exactly...The people in the Triangle are just too used to the abundance of jobs. God forbid some companies make them put in some hard work to find new opportunities!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 PM
 
5,359 posts, read 15,080,450 times
Reputation: 3990
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
So don't go telling people nobody is hiring and that it's impossible to get a job. It's not....
You're putting words in my mouth. I never said anything of the sort.

Everyone says that you should have a job lined up before you get here, and I agree. It's pretty hard to go to local club meetings in order to network when you live a few hundred miles away. Professional networking sites like LinkedIn are useful when face-to-face networking is not possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 01:34 PM
 
1,119 posts, read 1,976,664 times
Reputation: 765
Sorry, I was exaggerating.

It's a double edged sword, IMO. From my experiences, if you don't live here, your resume basically gets thrown in the trash.

A friend's address and a google voice phone number can help with that though. Be ready to get on a plane at the drop of a hat for interviews though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 01:38 PM
 
2,623 posts, read 4,803,618 times
Reputation: 5497
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Few jobs in any field are plentiful these days, but there are some companies in some industries that do still have openings from time to time.
And for every one of those jobs, there are scores of unemployed, qualified (or over-qualified) local applicants. And "from time to time" doesn't exactly scream, "Come on down; there's jobs aplenty."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 02:35 PM
 
5,359 posts, read 15,080,450 times
Reputation: 3990
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
It's a double edged sword, IMO. From my experiences, if you don't live here, your resume basically gets thrown in the trash.
I agree. I had to go through a head-hunter, agree to take a 6-month contract job, AND move my family here at my expense. . . . within 2 weeks. . . . in order to get a job here in 2006 when the economy was good. I wasn't savvy enough to get experience in a high demand skill before attempting the move.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 02:52 PM
 
9,198 posts, read 21,210,489 times
Reputation: 8516
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
And for every one of those jobs, there are scores of unemployed, qualified (or over-qualified) local applicants.
Maybe. Playing devil's advocate for a moment: I'm not in IT, but I have been involved in a lot of hiring this year for my company. I see lots of people who had been doing the very job I'm hiring for at one of our competitors, but who had been laid off. Most of 'em I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. There's a reason for the fact that when our competitors trimmed their staffs, these people where the first to go. So while there are lots of people applying for jobs, the numbers don't always tell the full story, and a truly good candidate can still shine through.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-03-2010, 03:48 PM
 
1,119 posts, read 1,976,664 times
Reputation: 765
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Maybe. Playing devil's advocate for a moment: I'm not in IT, but I have been involved in a lot of hiring this year for my company. I see lots of people who had been doing the very job I'm hiring for at one of our competitors, but who had been laid off. Most of 'em I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. There's a reason for the fact that when our competitors trimmed their staffs, these people where the first to go. So while there are lots of people applying for jobs, the numbers don't always tell the full story, and a truly good candidate can still shine through.
Trust me man, the IT industry is full of useless duds. I guess I shouldn't say "full of", that's and exaggeration...but a lot of people out there are clueless. Plenty of good people too, but some people are just plain USELESS.

Not every person in the triangle is awesome at what they do. That's not to say that no competent people got laid off, unfortunately, they did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top