U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 02:51 PM

2,582 posts, read 4,785,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
Most of 'em I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. There's a reason for the fact that when our competitors trimmed their staffs, these people where the first to go.
I think we're way past the point where people being laid off were subpar. Using my own employer as an example, yeah -- we let some crappy people go in the first three rounds of layoffs in 2009. We've been having layoffs just about every quarter, and there's no more fat to cut out. We're been into the bone for a while now. We lose good people with every round. Other companies are in the same boat.

ETA: I love your little sig line under your username!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 05:05 PM

5,358 posts, read 15,053,735 times
Quote:
I see lots of people who had been doing the very job I'm hiring for at one of our competitors, but who had been laid off. Most of 'em I wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. There's a reason for the fact that when our competitors trimmed their staffs, these people where the first to go.
I'm sorry to single you out CHTransplant, but it's attitudes like this that really upset me.

There are SO many companies out there that are laying off people. . . whether it be a handfull of "dead-wood" or an entire 700 person facility. . . . that you can't make generalizations like this.

I had to deal with this bias for an entire year after I was laid off. The company that I worked for eliminated their RTP R&D operations, consolidating to only test and customer service, and 50% of the staff (the R&D staff) was let go. You definitely throw out some babies with the bath water when that happens, but people just assume that you were the worst employee in the company when they see that you were laid off.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:43 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,163,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I'm sorry to single you out CHTransplant, but it's attitudes like this that really upset me. There are SO many companies out there that are laying off people. . . whether it be a handfull of "dead-wood" or an entire 700 person facility. . . . that you can't make generalizations like this. I had to deal with this bias for an entire year after I was laid off. The company that I worked for eliminated their RTP R&D operations, consolidating to only test and customer service, and 50% of the staff (the R&D staff) was let go. You definitely throw out some babies with the bath water when that happens, but people just assume that you were the worst employee in the company when they see that you were laid off.
I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression - I do not assume anything. I interview these people and test their skills, aptitude and attitude. Their experience and resumes bring them in the door and gives them a fair shot at the job. I've never not hired someone just because they were laid off. I've only not hired them after determining they were not the best candidate. And when choosing between two equally qualified candidates, one of whom is unemployed and one of whom is not, I will almost always go with the candidate who most needs the job.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:27 AM

5,358 posts, read 15,053,735 times
Quote:
I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression - I do not assume anything. I interview these people and test their skills, aptitude and attitude. Their experience and resumes bring them in the door and gives them a fair shot at the job. I've never not hired someone just because they were laid off. I've only not hired them after determining they were not the best candidate. And when choosing between two equally qualified candidates, one of whom is unemployed and one of whom is not, I will almost always go with the candidate who most needs the job.

Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 AM

1,118 posts, read 1,970,075 times
OT - I think this is the only place on the ENTIRE internet where you can have rational conversations about things we disagree on...what a change of pace from some of the other message boards I'm on.

Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 AM

351 posts, read 683,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardjnky4 View Post
If you don't live here, your resume basically gets thrown in the trash.
Very true!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I had to deal with this bias for an entire year after I was laid off.
Unfortunately that type of bias is more the norm. I had one recruiter tell me "I get hundreds of resumes a day. If you haven't been working in your field for 2 months or more you won't show well and it's not worth my time to respond to you."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary