U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2010, 06:29 AM

2,535 posts, read 4,503,312 times

Advertisements

I have a long lost brother who I will be meeting for the first time in February. He's coming from England to visit for a couple weeks. He'll spend two weeks in south Florida with my Dad and sister, then head up this way to see me. I'm a little nervous, having never met him and I'm really concerned that we may be bored because of the weather in February. Is there anything around here that he may find interesting that time of year? I also have 4 young children who will be tagging along everywhere so it would have to be kid friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 06:45 AM

31,648 posts, read 55,388,070 times
Day trip to the beach. if we have a balmy day.
And if your kids ride well.

You won't sun and swim much, but it is always the ocean.

Old 11-03-2010, 07:02 AM

6,185 posts, read 13,855,929 times
NCDA&CS - N.C. State Fair Division (http://www.ncstatefair.org/events/2-11htm.htm - broken link)

In February 2011 at the fairgrounds, there's the flea market (as always) as well as (at different times during the month) a bull riding competition, a dance competition, a book sale, an international auto show, rollergirl derby, horse jumping, a cat show, a gun show, and mind/body/spirit event -- something for everyone!

Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,729,787 times
Too bad he's going to South Florida first, otherwise just the ability to be out in the sunshine would probably make him very happy.
Agree with Mike that a quick trip to Wilmington would be nice, maybe especially as a contrast to the South Florida beach scene.
Since Feb weather here is so crazy it might be wise to have a "winter" plan and a "spring" plan and then just pick the one that aligns with the weather. Any idea what he enjoys?

Frank

Old 11-03-2010, 09:37 AM

1,405 posts, read 2,000,125 times
Well this is ACC basketball territory. Perhaps a college game ? I don't think State sells out the RBC unless it is a big big game. Probably out of luck for a Duke or UNC game unless you are willing to pay big $'s. If he likes any other type of sports (wrestling/gymnastics/etc) you could go the
Reynolds Coliseum and take in a match. I have taken grand kids to women gymnastics matches there before and we all really enjoyed it. Doesn't break the bank as well. Perhaps a train ride to Charlotte and back ? or the North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher North Carolina Aquariums North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher ..... February is probably the most unpredictable month regarding weather so just pray for decent weather (no ice or snow) and one of those warm spells we sometimes get. Hope he enjoys NC.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:18 AM

Lot's of great ideas! Thank you! I am definitely concerned about the weather. It would be such a shame for him to come in from dreary old england and spend a week with an ice storm and no electricity. He should probably fly into Ft Lauderdale spend a week and then come here for two weeks then drive back down there. Instead of chancing the weather delays at RDU. Nothing is set in stone yet. I've really tried to talk him out of February...no such luck. It's just a convenient time for him I guess.

Old 11-03-2010, 10:39 AM

9,558 posts, read 26,432,745 times
I agree about a trip to the Coast. Depending on the weather it can be quite enjoyable visiting the beach during the off season - you can even stop by the Aquarium. Shoot, here are some pics from a trip my wife and I made to the NC Aquarium in Fort Fisher last February.

Escape from the Triangle! A quick trip from Raleigh to the NC Coast ~ Pictures

I'll try to chew on this and see if I can think of things going on around here in February.

You could definitely Kill a day visiting the Marbles Museum in DT Raleigh coupled with lunch / or Dinner at Tir Na Nog Irish Pub (I see kids in there all the time).

Old 11-03-2010, 11:09 AM

NRG, Is that your wife in the green shirt? Or is it someone you don't know visiting the museum? Those pics are so weird because I've been to the aquarium and when I saw those pics I thought, "We must have been there at the same time because I'm in the picture!" And then I looked again and realized that's not my purse. She looks exactly like me. I mean, exactly. Like, even if I look closely, I can't tell the difference. But it's not my purse so it can't be me.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:10 AM

Nice pics, btw. We'll probably run down there for a visit.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:03 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,682,056 times
It is so difficult to predict the weather in February. It can be in the upper 60s or there can be an ice storm. I know there is usually a boat show at the convention center sometime around then and/or the Home and Garden show. Luckily, you have a few months to be looking for things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary