Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 08:04 PM

224 posts, read 432,062 times

Advertisements

Posting this for my parents--They are moving back to NC. They previously lived in Lochmere but this time they have a business in Chapel Hill near UNC so ideally they would live within 20 mins of that location. They LOVE a neighborhood called deVintage in Cary, which is near Kildaire and Ten Ten Rds. It was built for older/retired homeowners who want low maintenance living (HOA handles all yard work, houses are brick one-story or 1.5stories, etc). It is a small neighborhood and there is nothing currently for sale.
Any idea where else they could find something like this? The one place they are seriously considering is Briar Chapel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2015, 08:52 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,319,644 times
Chapelwood in Chapel Hill? Or Fearrington Village between Chapel Hill and Pittsboro?

Old 10-03-2015, 08:04 AM

Thank you! Chapelwood looks just like it. Only one home for sale though. They are looking to downsize and keep it closer to 300k.

Old 10-03-2015, 08:54 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Briar Chapel is not small but might be worth a look. Great amenities and walking trails etc.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:01 AM

109 posts, read 169,112 times
Chapel Hill is always going to be challenging to buy into. Do they want the community aspect of a 55+ development? Cause it seems to me that if they bought a 200k house in Durham/other nearby areas, the extra 100k would buy a really long yard maintenance contract! (Like a lot of the people who work in CH, live elsewhere).

Old 10-03-2015, 10:04 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times
Durham has higher taxes than Chapel Hill, though. And I think Chapelwood is in Durham County?

Old 10-03-2015, 10:12 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,473,821 times
I LOVE Briar Chapel! They actually have activities director who plans things for all different age groups including seniors. And they have commissioned art work throughout their extensive trails system. The landscape had a lot of rock when they started building and they used the rock throughout the community. It feels very mountainy. It's just a really cool place. You should at least go take a look if you haven't been there already.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:22 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,230,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I LOVE Briar Chapel! They actually have activities director who plans things for all different age groups including seniors. And they have commissioned art work throughout their extensive trails system. The landscape had a lot of rock when they started building and they used the rock throughout the community. It feels very mountainy. It's just a really cool place. You should at least go take a look if you haven't been there already.
I also love Briar Chapel! Even though it has a CH address, it is in Chatham County.

Love love love what they did with those rocks!

And, although I haven't checked out the Chatham County Schools, a client of mine says they are very good.

Old 10-03-2015, 12:40 PM

Yeah, they'd like to avoid higher taxes. That's one reason they're looking at Briar Chapel. They actually would prefer mixed age community over a 55+ only. We did go to visit BC and loved the look of it and the shared green spaces. They want a smaller yard, which BC has plenty of, but wow are they close together! It's just kind of hard to accept when you're paying for a detached versus a townhouse. But they're hoping to find one there that has a little more breathing room but not over budget. :0

Old 10-03-2015, 01:04 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAbornNClivin View Post
They LOVE a neighborhood called deVintage in Cary, which is near Kildaire and Ten Ten Rds. It was built for older/retired homeowners who want low maintenance living (HOA handles all yard work, houses are brick one-story or 1.5stories, etc).
I also like the look of DeVintage. Were you aware of the assesments on the houses there? They are assesed at between $442,000 and $595,000.

Were you parents looking at that high a price range? If so, they might look at what Toll Brothers builds. One example is the new Regency at White Oak Creek in Apex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary