Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 PM

8,269 posts, read 25,106,298 times

Advertisements

Yikes. I think I'll stick with Smithfield for a while. Guess no one will be there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 05:57 PM

4,478 posts, read 11,619,908 times
I heard on the radio this afternoon that traffic in the area got so bad that DOT closed exit 154 completely.. what a mess!

Shoppers swarm new Tanger Outlet mall in Mebane :: WRAL.com

Old 11-05-2010, 08:10 PM

476 posts, read 1,296,768 times
We drove by going east on 40 about 2:30pm today and traffic was stopped completely at the exit, and this was a Friday. If you don't like crowds, stay away until the excitement dies down.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:47 AM

5 posts, read 14,340 times
As other posters have mentioned, outlet stores now mainly offer cheaply made versions of their products. According to a retail analyst in this article, specially made low quality versions now account for 82% of outlet sales. Read 10 Things Outlet Malls won't tell you: Yahoo! Finance - Financially Fit (http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/article-111184-7265-1-10-things-outlet-malls-wont-tell-you?ywaad=ad0035 - broken link).
Tanger outlet is just another retail scam, and an ugly jumble of stores crammed next to the highway to boot.

Old 11-07-2010, 07:09 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
I noticed that Tanger had a Coldwater Creek outlet, which is one of few stores I'd be interested in. But I've used the online "Outlet" section of Coldwatercreek.com, Coldwater Creek outlet with great success.

In the spring I bought several jackets (some winter, some spring, some year-round), and with online coupons from Retailmenot.com and 40% off sales, they had an average price of $18. The original mall price was $79 each.

I don't think I could do any better at the Tanger outlet. I don't have to fight traffic, and it takes me seconds to check for size availability.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:56 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,033,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I honestly can't remeber the last time I bought a piece of clothing. I still have a favorite pair of shoes I wear fairly often that I got for Christmas 8 years ago and have some shirts with the tags still on them hanging in my closest from a birthday 3 years ago. I'm sure I will get to wearing them someday. They will be brand new to me.

It drives my wife nuts.
We are peas in a pod...........I recently cleaned out my closet and finally got rid of things I had not worn in 10 years! I mean really! I do not like to shop, but most of my clothes are too big for me now (thanks gallbladder removal!), and so something has to be done!

Old 11-08-2010, 06:33 PM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I heard on the news that the Outlets were so busy that they are hiring an additional 500 people!

Vicki

Old 11-08-2010, 06:56 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
wish I was the same size I was 8 years ago!!!Must be nice. My husband can skip lunch and lose 15 lbs. Drives me crazy.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 AM

754 posts, read 1,693,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielleNC View Post
Yay! I just got back from a successful trip! Thank goodness for secret back roads

We didn't sit in any traffic and had no problem parking on a side road on the back end of the shopping center where there will be future development.

I had to be in Durham this morning so on my way back I thought I would check out the traffic off the exits before meeting my friend to go shopping. It was backed up for a mile on 85/40 each way. I took the next exit to get back into town and checked out the back roads and they were clear like I had hoped!

I would have been very frustrated if I wasn't familiar with the area and had to sit in that crazy traffic!
OK, I'm glad there's a back way in because we went to the outlets yesterday and it was a joke. I can't believe, on 85S, you have to wait for two lights after exiting the highway just to get to the entrance. Also, on the way out, the left arrow on the second light to get back on 85N was long enough for about 3-4 cars to get through. It would have been faster to go straight and pull a U-turn where there was no traffic. The parking lots were inadequate as well and the stores were vanilla outlet fare. Basically FAIL all around. I won't go near the place again unless we find your back way in.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:02 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,243,784 times
I got there yesterday at 12:30. NO TRAFFIC until I got to the parking lot. No worse than I expected. Funny that folks were parking so far away. I drove up and down 2 aisles and got parking about mid way down one aisle. My theory on parking is that there are always people leaving so I just take my time and usually get parking very close. Sometimes a little patience pays off.

Typical Tanger Outlet. I had to wait in line for about 10 min. at THE LOFT. With all the folks there, stores weren't too crowded. Seemed to be more lines at the register so people were buying. Lots of salespeople at the register, very friendly.

I left about 4:30. Easy getting out of the parking lot. Took about 40 min. to get back to North Raleigh. Not a bad ride, at all. Easier to get to than Smithfield Outlets.

Great sales, although I didn't buy much. Lots of the stores had 40% off the entire store and then there were additional 20% off coupons.

If you have seen one Tanger Outlet, you've seen them all!

Vicki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary