U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 08:43 AM

5,355 posts, read 15,034,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Related to the thread, I really hope the new red route goes away, it is patently ridiculous to change up at the last moment like this.
In preparation for tomorrow's meeting, here's a peek at the Town of Garner's letter to the Turnpike Authority. Well written, IMO.

Garner's Letter to Turnpike Authority
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 AM

30 posts, read 76,791 times
Default For your viewing pleasure

http://www.youtube.com/user/SoutheastExtension

just stumbled on this

Old 11-16-2010, 10:25 AM

2,795 posts, read 3,753,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanga View Post
If this is the case, put those cameras on the northern side of 540 to pay for the southern side...
Pretty sure we've been over this a bunch of times, but you can't just slap a toll on an existing Interstate.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raleigh-lvr View Post
Yeah. That's been out there for about 2 months. It's the video that they showed at the community meetings back in September.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:37 AM

30 posts, read 76,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Yeah. That's been out there for about 2 months. It's the video that they showed at the community meetings back in September.
just thought I'd share as I had not seen the link to it on here...sorry if it's a duplicate

Old 11-16-2010, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,978 times
Default Tan Route = Bad Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseLover1 View Post
The only reason the tan route has come into existence is that the city of Raleigh doesn't want 540 to impact a proposed subdivision named Randleigh Farm that is their idea. Instead they would rather destroy established neighborhoods where people have lived for 30 or more years and brand new homes in other neighborhoods. The new route has nothing to do with bettering the design of 540 and more to do with someone making money at others expense.
I live inside the newly proposed tan route, off Old Baucom Rd. It looks like it goes right through our house and several other houses belonging to our extended family. This has been very upsetting to me and my wife, as well as her family, who have lived on this land for 3, 4 and now 5 generations. We feel like we are being sacrificed for the profit of others, someone is trying to get rich at our expense.

This route is ill conceived and poorly thought out. It actually does more damage to the environment, taking out more wetlands while adding very little to the overall project, except to make the whole 540 loop larger, with a slight jag into Johnston County for a few miles.

The State has been buying land for the original route (Green & Orange) for at least the last 10 years, maybe longer. Now at the last minute, they propose all these new routes? This makes no sense to me, but when does anything the State does, ever make sense?

We have already been concerned, that the Green Route will put an exit at Rock Quarry Rd. Which will dump a ton of new traffic onto our skinny 2 lane, country road. There are already too many big trucks and cars that speed up and down our road, without any regard for those of us that live here.

Old 11-16-2010, 03:05 PM
DPK

3,134 posts, read 3,416,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eah51 View Post
The State has been buying land for the original route (Green & Orange) for at least the last 10 years, maybe longer. Now at the last minute, they propose all these new routes? This makes no sense to me, but when does anything the State does, ever make sense?
It actually does make sense. It's not possible to 100% predict where regional growth will occur, especially a decade out. A lot changes and in this case growth took place in areas where it now dictates reconsidering the route in order to benefit more people.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:42 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,687,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If a house in within the corridor, will they "take it" and pay the homeowner? They did that in Tiffany Woods when they were building the highway. Not a bad outcome for the guy whose home they buy but what about the other homes that are affected? I hate it for homeowners.

Vicki
I believe if they take part of your property and the remaining part is land locked with no public access via road they have to buy it all up. I am not sure about situations where the remaining part of the parcel still has access to the public road ect.

Old 11-16-2010, 07:52 PM

31,553 posts, read 55,218,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPK View Post
It actually does make sense. It's not possible to 100% predict where regional growth will occur, especially a decade out. A lot changes and in this case growth took place in areas where it now dictates reconsidering the route in order to benefit more people.
It's all about the mussel flexing its muscle.

Building this highway too close to 440, i.e., choosing the Red Route, will undermine the use of it, particularly with resistance to tolls.
To not connect directly to US 70 @ I40 is not a very good plan. I think.

Old 11-17-2010, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I believe if they take part of your property and the remaining part is land locked with no public access via road they have to buy it all up. I am not sure about situations where the remaining part of the parcel still has access to the public road ect.
That is my understanding as well, per a discussion with NCTA personnel yesterday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary