U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 04:52 AM

5,358 posts, read 15,059,488 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It's all about the mussel flexing its muscle.

Building this highway too close to 440, i.e., choosing the Red Route, will undermine the use of it, particularly with resistance to tolls.
To not connect directly to US 70 @ I40 is not a very good plan. I think.
You are absolutely correct sir. . . . . . and the NCTA is aware of this as well. Everyone, please go to the Garner meeting tonight and write letters to your local government. This is the best way to put the nail in the RED route's coffin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 07:09 AM

148 posts, read 495,551 times
Did anyone attend the Garner session last night? How did it go?

Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 AM

31,636 posts, read 55,374,605 times
Garner residents oppose toll road route - Traffic - NewsObserver.com

Print edition headline:
"Mussel has few friends in Garner"
"Tiny mollusk gets little sympathy as residents oppose toll road route that would split town."

I think Garner has had issues in the past with little political leverage, and hope that this issue is an exception.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:45 AM

2,410 posts, read 6,728,444 times
Quote:
Garner residents oppose toll road route - Traffic - NewsObserver.com

Print edition headline:
"Mussel has few friends in Garner"
"Tiny mollusk gets little sympathy as residents oppose toll road route that would split town."

I think Garner has had issues in the past with little political leverage, and hope that this issue is an exception.
I really believe Garner will win this one. The whole Garner route was just a box check for DOT to verify they looked at alternates. They probably picked this one to upset the most amount of folks possible making the decision politically supportable.

Predicted N&O headline "Garner Out Muscles Mollusks"

Frank

Old 11-18-2010, 07:48 AM

Good headline, Frank.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:40 AM

I went to the meeting, along with 4 other neighbors. The auditorium was packed and the fire marshall wasn't letting anyone else in. The auditorium holds 400+ people. We were all permitted to sign a petition, but then it was back home.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:06 AM

A nice video that was shown last night.

Stop the Red Route through Garner documentary

Old 11-18-2010, 08:04 PM

Response received by a friend, bold font by me:

"Thank you for your comments relative to the Triangle Expressway Southeast Extension project. Your comments have been included as part of the project records.

The soonest that the Red corridor could be removed from further consideration would be January or February of 2011. If the Red corridor is retained for detailed study in the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), this document is scheduled for publication in 2012. Public Hearings would follow the issuance of the Draft EIS. A decision on the location of the expressway would then be made in the summer of 2012. Should the Red corridor be selected for implementation, then the Final EIS would be prepared based on this decision.

Please contact us should you have additional questions.

Thanks,

Roy Bruce"

If the Red Route is not removed early in 2011, property owners on BOTH routes will be in limbo for up to another year and a half.
Yet DOT knew of the endangered mussel years ago, while planning the US 70 Bypass of Clayton. And the public just recently was informed, after years of NCDOT designating another route as the potential (probable) corridor, purchasing land, etc.
Seems a little disorganized, to say the very least.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:17 AM

Quote:
The soonest that the Red corridor could be removed from further consideration would be January or February of 2011. If the Red corridor is retained for detailed study in the Draft Environmental Impact Statement (EIS), this document is scheduled for publication in 2012. Public Hearings would follow the issuance of the Draft EIS. A decision on the location of the expressway would then be made in the summer of 2012. Should the Red corridor be selected for implementation, then the Final EIS would be prepared based on this decision. If the Red Route is not removed early in 2011, property owners on BOTH routes will be in limbo for up to another year and a half.
This is consistent with the explanation that I was given when I visited the NCTA at their office on Tuesday this week. The NCTA is just as eager to kill this route as the citizens of Garner. However, they must do their due diligence and study the impacts of this route, otherwise they run the risk of violating laws and having the whole thing thrown back at them with a "do it over" mandate. They are currently involved in environmental and economic impact studies associated with this route.

Quote:
DOT knew of the endangered mussel years ago, while planning the US 70 Bypass of Clayton. And the public just recently was informed, after years of NCDOT designating another route as the potential (probable) corridor, purchasing land, etc. Seems a little disorganized, to say the very least.
More likely government red tape rather than disorganization. The NCTA is required by federal law to consider alternatives. The RED route alternative was offered up by a 3rd party organization as a way to lessen environmental impact associated with the project (this route is 3.5 miles shorter than the ORANGE protected route and does not cross any known dwarf wedge mussel habitats) with no regards for human or economic impacts.

Old 11-19-2010, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
This is consistent with the explanation that I was given when I visited the NCTA at their office on Tuesday this week. The NCTA is just as eager to kill this route as the citizens of Garner. However, they must do their due diligence and study the impacts of this route, otherwise they run the risk of violating laws and having the whole thing thrown back at them with a "do it over" mandate. They are currently involved in environmental and economic impact studies associated with this route.

More likely government red tape rather than disorganization. The NCTA is required by federal law to consider alternatives. The RED route alternative was offered up by a 3rd party organization as a way to lessen environmental impact associated with the project (this route is 3.5 miles shorter than the ORANGE protected route and does not cross any known dwarf wedge mussel habitats) with no regards for human or economic impacts.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary