U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:04 AM

7,712 posts, read 10,156,308 times

Advertisements

Interesting. So, I wonder what 3rd party orgnaization offered up the route? That would be some useful info to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:12 AM

5,365 posts, read 15,102,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Interesting. So, I wonder what 3rd party orgnaization offered up the route? That would be some useful info to know.
Maybe I should have worded that differently. . . . .

The NCTA was asked to consider a shorter route by their "environmental partners". Whether or not the environmental partners actually provided this route, or the NCTA laid out the route based on this request, I do not know.

I do not recall them naming their "environmental partners", but the two main ones that keep coming up in conversation appear to be the US Fish & Wildlife Service and the EPA. I think that the US Fish & Wildlife agency is the agency that has to sign off on the Turnpike's decisions relating to environmental issues.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:13 AM

2,921 posts, read 3,909,968 times
The 540 Beltway should be much further South than either the Red or Orange lines propose. The southern extent of the Beltway should hug the southern borders of Wake County so that the county's future inevitable growth will be encircled inside the loop's boundaries.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:21 AM

2,807 posts, read 3,795,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
The 540 Beltway should be much further South than either the Red or Orange lines propose. The southern extent of the Beltway should hug the southern borders of Wake County so that the county's future inevitable growth will be encircled inside the loop's boundaries.
I disagree...the loop should pass through the growth areas (with appropriate buffers), not encircle them. That way you have density on both sides of the freeway being served by it rather than having large numbers of people in "no man's land" living between 40 and 540 and far from either one.

The Orange route will serve plenty of expanded growth areas moving forward.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:56 AM

5,365 posts, read 15,102,750 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
I disagree...the loop should pass through the growth areas (with appropriate buffers), not encircle them. That way you have density on both sides of the freeway being served by it rather than having large numbers of people in "no man's land" living between 40 and 540 and far from either one. The Orange route will serve plenty of expanded growth areas moving forward.
Well I disagree with both of you

I think that the southern border of Wake county would be too far south. I also think that the ORANGE route is a tad too far north (remember that all development must occur south of Ten Ten because north of it is protected watershed). My opinion is that the BLUE route was best because it passed through the middle of where new development will occur (i.e., north of Fuquay but south of Ten Ten). Unfortunately, they did not predict this very well when they laid out the ORANGE route 15 years ago, and it's too late to change it now as the smaller towns in that area have been adjusting their planning to accommodate the ORANGE route for the last 15 years.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:57 AM

2,849 posts, read 3,991,989 times
Quote:
I agree with you. The north-west section of 540 already encircles Cary and Apex but for some reason they decided to bring it back eastward right at Holly Springs. They could have continued south, going around Holly Springs, and then head back eastward between Holly Springs and Fuquay.

Too late now, there's a few thousand houses there today.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 PM

2,921 posts, read 3,909,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFspiderman View Post
I disagree...the loop should pass through the growth areas (with appropriate buffers), not encircle them. That way you have density on both sides of the freeway being served by it rather than having large numbers of people in "no man's land" living between 40 and 540 and far from either one.

The Orange route will serve plenty of expanded growth areas moving forward.
The problem with your notion is that by the time the road is completed, growth will have moved much further south and east than it currently is. Roads should be built with a mindseye toward where growth will be 25 years from now, not merely today's development.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:50 PM

2,807 posts, read 3,795,131 times
I certainly agree that the planning should account for future development patterns, but even with the watershed restrictions, I think there's a good deal of developable land in close proximity to the orange route, particularly once the route is nailed down and developers know where they can build.

540 typically lies at about 5-8 miles outside the 40/440 beltline...~5 miles along the northeast and north sides before bumping out to about 8 around the airport and then out and down the existing and under construction western extension. And without highways linking the two loops in many areas, even travel between them at this distance is certainly not trivial.

The Orange route will put you at about that same 5-8 mile radius, closer to 5-6 at the western end as it bumps north of Holly Springs (what's done is done there...an argument could have been made for routing it south of HS) and extending to about 8 or so as it intersects with 40 and the 70 bypass (as it no doubt should). Pushing the southern route down to around 42 would extend that radius to ~10 miles, which just seems to be getting to be too much to me.

There is a great deal of developable land (not to mentioned the already-developed land) within two miles either side of the Orange route for convenient access, and while there will undoubtedly be growth farther out than that, the highway should favor density over encompassing everything within its radius.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary