U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:54 AM

7 posts, read 14,988 times

Advertisements

Gosh I bet you guys get tired of answering these questions from relocatees! I truely appreciate any help that can be provided. I did do a search but with 2 kids under 2 I have limited time to sift thru them all with hopes of finding the answer I'm looking for.
Its a good possibility that we will be moving to the Raleigh area. If this is the location that the job moves us to I desperately need some help as the move will come quick! I have never been to Raleigh so I'm a tad nervous about the move but I've heard nothing but good things so I'm hopeful.

Here goes-
Husband's job would be in downtown Raleigh. Like I said we have 2 kids under 2 so family oriented neighborhood is what we're going for. I hear all these rave reviews about Cary but when I do searches I get houses pulled up in Cary, Apex, Morrisonville (? not sure if I'm remembering that correctly). Having a hard time deciphering what is Cary and what is not! Husband commuted a horrible 1+hour at current job and does not want a bad commute again. We're in the $300k price range or we'd like to rent for a year until we know for sure where we'd like to go. Any advice on locations? What part of Raleigh is the good place for kids, affordability?
Key components-
Short Commute
Fantastic area for families- schools, parks, etc.
Convenience of shopping- groceries, Target, Mall
Places to find house rentals

Sorry- I'm long winded! Any help is so appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM

1,343 posts, read 2,125,168 times
Cary is a large Suburb to the Southwest of Raleigh and is fairly affluent for the most part. Very nice subdivisions albeit very monotonous and cookie cutter. Good schools and very family oriented. Apex and Morrisville neighbor the town of Cary are much smaller than cary but also very family friendly. If you like more things to do then you would probably be better off to look in Raleigh proper. Also consider Wake Forest. Really most areas are very nice and you would be hard pressed to find an area that is not family friendly.
The commute time from Cary to Downtown is about 20-25 minutes about 30 from Apex and about 20 from Morrisville.

Happy relocation to you, wherever you decide.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:48 PM

10,308 posts, read 18,173,734 times
Cary, Apex, and Morrisville might as well be the same town, as they are all very similar in character since they have all experience explosive growth in the past decades, blurring their boundaries all together with similar "new neighborhood sprawl". Your price range will not limit you substantially. Any of the above would be family-friendly and not a bad commute from downtown.

Old 11-04-2010, 03:33 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,374,117 times
Google maps gives a pretty good idea of commute times. Cary is a really good central-from-everything place to rent. It is a bit cookie cutter...kind of like living in a manicured park. So some people find it a bit 'beige'. But there are tons of great parks and plenty of playgroups and things to do with kids. I think it would be a good choice for a rental while you figure out the Triangle.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:06 PM

9 posts, read 15,022 times
A commute from Morrisville to downtown Raleigh would be an absolute nightmare during the morning rush hour. North Raleigh has numerous family friendly neighborhoods. So does the downtown area, but homes are more expensive and smaller square footage compared to the subdivisions.

You will like Raleigh...so many beautiful parks and tons of things to do with the kids! Good Luck!

Old 11-04-2010, 07:25 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,384,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobynB View Post
A commute from Morrisville to downtown Raleigh would be an absolute nightmare during the morning rush hour. North Raleigh has numerous family friendly neighborhoods. So does the downtown area, but homes are more expensive and smaller square footage compared to the subdivisions.

You will like Raleigh...so many beautiful parks and tons of things to do with the kids! Good Luck!
Beg to differ. Morrisville ("the 60") is an easy commute to downtown. You go AGAINST traffic--the bad traffic is coming toward Morrisville with commuters coming to RTP from Raleigh. My husband did this commute (we live about 2 miles from I40) for a year or so in 20 min/day each way.

It really depends on what you want for your money. In this economy, you'll probably find plenty of homes to rent, which is a good idea since your kids aren't school aged. You might also try trianglemommies.com--there are loads of preschool-aged moms on there with lots of good advice for you.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:55 PM

294 posts, read 709,984 times
may I offer up the fake apex (27539) area (corner of Cary/Holly Springs).

we live at the park of west lake with many houses in your price range. you're husband can jump on route 401 or take lake wheeler road and be downtown in less than 15 minutes....the neighborhood is filled with kids with beautiful parks and a community pool.....there's also Sunset Oaks down the street.....

good luck with your move

Old 11-04-2010, 10:01 PM

1,832 posts, read 4,384,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH2NC View Post
may I offer up the fake apex (27539) area (corner of Cary/Holly Springs).

we live at the park of west lake with many houses in your price range. you're husband can jump on route 401 or take lake wheeler road and be downtown in less than 15 minutes....the neighborhood is filled with kids with beautiful parks and a community pool.....there's also Sunset Oaks down the street.....

good luck with your move
Less than 15?? Really??? I wish I'd known this when we moved....hubby said it was too far out for his commute (20min was max time).

Old 11-06-2010, 10:40 PM

44 posts, read 159,427 times
Cary is very spread out - from one corner to the opposite, it could be almost 30 minutes away. So, it's difficult to search just based on the city name. For the best commute to downtown Raleigh, I second the suggestion from the previous poster who recommended Park at West Lake area, or even Sunset Oaks. Going up 401 or Lake Wheeler is much more pleasant than driving on 40 or 440 in my opinion. Both have very active community pools and playgrounds. Plus, it's a beautiful side of town with lots of trees and you've got the great Middle Creek park and schools right there. It's probably 12-15 minutes up Holly Springs road to Crossroads shopping center (Target, Kohls, etc).

Old 11-07-2010, 04:09 AM

5,308 posts, read 14,762,055 times
The last 3 posts have been about The Park at Westlake. . . . so I feel that I need to add my 2 cents on that neighborhood.

First. . . . . . have prices in that neighborhood REALLY come down to $300K? That's amazing. When we were shopping for a home in 2006 you couldn't get into that neighborhood for under $375K. And those were resales down at the southern end of the subdivision that were up against the sewage treatment plant. New homes were easily above $375K, especially on the interior lots.

Second. I beg to differ about the commute time into Raleigh from P@WL. I live at the corner of Lake Wheeler Rd and Ten Ten Rd, which is about a 5-10, minute drive east of P@WL. I leave the house at 6:30 am and it takes me 10 minutes to get to Lake Wheeler and Tryon. It will take you another 10 minutes to get from there to downtown. . . .let's say the Capital Building. So. . . . added up, figure closer to 25-30 minutes to get downtown using that route . . and that's at 6:30 am. Google Maps supports this, saying 25 minutes via Highway 401 and 30 minutes via Lake Wheeler Rd.

I do, however, agree that P@WL does give you a nice 15 minute drive up to Crossroads Mall in Cary, where there is a Target, Kohls, restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary