U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 07:13 AM

2,535 posts, read 4,506,751 times

Advertisements

I can buy this online, but the shipping is 2x the cost of the product. Even though it's not expensive, the idea bothers me. Does anyone know where I can find this locally? We're going to try making some homemade root beer!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 07:23 AM

5,359 posts, read 15,069,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
I can buy this online, but the shipping is 2x the cost of the product. Even though it's not expensive, the idea bothers me. Does anyone know where I can find this locally? We're going to try making some homemade root beer!
Do you need Zatarains extract specifically?

Depending on where you live, there are a number of homebrew stores in the Triangle that most likely sell soda pop extracts of all kinds. In Raleigh, I go to American Brewmaster, which is near Capital and 440. If you live near a Fifth Season Gardening store, I believe that some of them have started to carry homebrew supplies, but not sure which ones. There is also a homebrew store in Durham, but I haven't been to it in a while.

Old 11-05-2010, 07:42 AM

From what the recipe said, Zatarains is the best. But I would probably try a different kind. I checked American Brewmaster website and they carry a different brand. It is 2.25 onlin and 6.50 at American Brewmaster. Almost as much as the Zatarains online which is 8.50.

Old 11-05-2010, 09:27 AM

If you're going to make homemade root beer, why not go all the way.

Get yourself some Sarsaparilla Root, Sasafrass Root, Vanilla, Sugar, Yeast, and probably a few other ingredients and make it from scratch.

. . . . . coming from a guy that makes his own beer from scratch, this would be easy.

Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 AM

You're talkin' to a girl who grinds her own flour, kept a milk cow for several years and grows as much of her own food as possible...this third person thing is a little weird! Anyway, where can I find sarsparilla Root and sasafrass root? Do I need to grow it? Does it grow native in NC?

Old 11-05-2010, 10:52 AM

Here is a great source of info for making your own root beer.

Root Beer Concentrate

Please note that it is a collection of miscellaneous ramblings that some guy collected from a homebrewing forum, so it sometimes repeats itself, gives opinions from several sources, and may not be organized in the best way. . . . .

Old 11-05-2010, 11:52 AM

476 posts, read 1,399,606 times
You may check with a couple of local grocery store managers.

I have found that if they carry a product line (in this case Zatarains anything; such as their packaged Jambalaya or rice products) they can order it for you. Be sure to let them know what the price is (without shipping) so they don't try to tack that on. Often their vendors will just add it to the store order.

Southern Seasons might be one to check with as well.

One grocer in FL ordered salad dressing that I love, loved, and could not find elsewhere. Yes, just for me when I needed it. I adored that store manager.

Old 11-05-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooks2007 View Post
You may check with a couple of local grocery store managers.

I have found that if they carry a product line (in this case Zatarains anything; such as their packaged Jambalaya or rice products) they can order it for you. Be sure to let them know what the price is (without shipping) so they don't try to tack that on. Often their vendors will just add it to the store order.

Southern Seasons might be one to check with as well.

One grocer in FL ordered salad dressing that I love, loved, and could not find elsewhere. Yes, just for me when I needed it. I adored that store manager.
That's a great idea! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary