U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 AM

15,732 posts, read 17,283,367 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are hoping to find a recommendation for a urologist that performs vasectomy. I know there are other threads on this but we are looking for specific characteristics.

We have had a consult at NC Urology, have spoken to Wake Urology and Cary Urology...none of which seem to meet our needs.

What he is ideally looking for:

-Within 45-60 minutes of Holly Springs

-someone who will take the time to listen and answer questions, take his concern for risks and side-effects seriously. Yes, we know it's rare but we'd like to actually discuss these things with the doc before being asked to sign off on a form that states "I have had all my questions answered to my satisfaction" when they have not been.

-Wants me in the room during the procedure for support/comfort. It seems to be a "liability" issue but his thinking is if he was able to attend my c-section surgeries without concern for liability, then he should be able to have his wife in the room for a procedure far less complicated. He has limited experience in the medical environment and would feel much more comfortable with me in there.

He absolutely wants the "outcome" of the procedure, he's just hesitant to trust a doc that wants to rush through it and not take his concerns seriously. We know this procedure has been done millions of times and it's no big deal but it is HIS first time and so it is a big deal to us.

I know that's a big list of preferences, but does anyone have any experience with a doc that fills all of those needs?

Thanks in advance!
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 11:52 AM

101 posts, read 157,658 times
Default Try this dr....

Marc Benevides, at North Carolina Urological Associates
160 Macgregor Pines Dr # 205,
Cary, NC 27511-6037
(919) 790-5500 ‎
ncurology.com

My ex had a consult with him for a vasectomy but chickened out. He was very helpful though. I use Dr. Benevides myself for other urological issues and I love him.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:15 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,151,892 times
I had mine done with Dr. Parnell at Capital Urological Associates next door to what is now Duke Raleigh Hopstal on Wake Forest Road just north of I-440. I thought he was a very good doctor, and I certainly felt comfortable that he had thoroughly explained options, the nature of the procedure, the risks, etc. I don't know, though, if they allow others in the room during the procedure. My wife did accompany me (I believe they require someone to be there to drive you, even though it's just local anesthesia), but we never asked for her to go in the room. It's really a very simple and quick procedure - I hope your husband doesn't get too stressed out over it.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I had mine done with Dr. Parnell at Capital Urological Associates next door to what is now Duke Raleigh Hopstal on Wake Forest Road just north of I-440. I thought he was a very good doctor, and I certainly felt comfortable that he had thoroughly explained options, the nature of the procedure, the risks, etc. I don't know, though, if they allow others in the room during the procedure. My wife did accompany me (I believe they require someone to be there to drive you, even though it's just local anesthesia), but we never asked for her to go in the room. It's really a very simple and quick procedure - I hope your husband doesn't get too stressed out over it.
Thank you!

I called and asked about our concerns and they are very willing to accomodate us within reason.

I felt really comfortable with the receptionist, she was warm and friendly on the phone and very helpful. I hope that speaks to how the whole office is.

We feel really hopeful that this is the doctor for us!

Old 11-05-2010, 01:51 PM

9,198 posts, read 21,151,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
I called and asked about our concerns and they are very willing to accomodate us within reason. I felt really comfortable with the receptionist, she was warm and friendly on the phone and very helpful. I hope that speaks to how the whole office is.
As I recall the office staff was friendly but professional, such that I didn't feel awkward or uncomfortable (especially with returning the post-surgical sample).

Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM

2,535 posts, read 4,496,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
As I recall the office staff was friendly but professional, such that I didn't feel awkward or uncomfortable (especially with returning the post-surgical sample).
Oh, your supposed to go back! Hubby had his done a couple months ago and never has gone back for that part.

Old 11-05-2010, 02:10 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,719,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Oh, your supposed to go back! Hubby had his done a couple months ago and never has gone back for that part.
Better do that, or you'll need the original poster's screen name. :-)

I'm too chicken to have direct experience here, but if Dr. Parnell doesn't work out, a good friend/coworker used Dr.Marc Benevides too. Seems to have worked fine for him.

Good luck

Frank

Old 11-05-2010, 02:22 PM

LOL pegotty...yes he needs to give a sample to check for any swimmers.

I think it's generally recommended after 3 months or 20-30 "fun times"

It doesn't sound like he is too far behind...but it is important to have that done. Sometimes the pipes haven't cleared and it takes a little longer to clean out all the swimmers. Sometimes (rarely from what I understand) the vas reconnect and the procedure has to be done again.

We'd like to keep our family size at 6...you better believe I'll be nagging dh to collect his sample when it's time (and I'll be counting!). I'll even save him the embarassment and bring it to the office for him!

Last edited by *Sixy*; 11-05-2010 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 11-05-2010, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Better do that, or you'll need the original poster's screen name. :-)

I'm too chicken to have direct experience here, but if Dr. Parnell doesn't work out, a good friend/coworker used Dr.Marc Benevides too. Seems to have worked fine for him.

Good luck

Frank
Frank,

No shame in admitting that! I am too chicken to have a tubal. I just feel like some things should not be messed with and I'd just be asking for trouble, going in trying to change nature.

My dh doesn't seem to worry about the end result much as long as there is a guaranteed good outcome, it's the process that makes his hairs stand up! lol

In the end it's his body, his choice and I'll support whatever he decides. If he does opt out of having this procedure, we'll just have to find other options.

Thanks for the rec too! I'm hoping we don't have to meet ALL of the docs in the Cary/Raleigh area before we can possibly make a decision

Old 11-05-2010, 02:47 PM

2,535 posts, read 4,496,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
LOL pegotty...yes he needs to give a sample to check for any swimmers.

I think it's generally recommended after 3 months or 20-30 "fun times"

It doesn't sound like he is too far behind...but it is important to have that done. Sometimes the pipes haven't cleared and it takes a little longer to clean out all the swimmers. Sometimes (rarely from what I understand) the vas reconnect and the procedure has to be done again.

We'd like to keep our family size at 6...you better believe I'll be nagging dh to collect his sample when it's time (and I'll be counting!). I'll even save him the embarassment and bring it to the office for him!
Oh, I know that. I was just making a funny...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary