U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 09:48 PM

693 posts, read 2,922,898 times

Advertisements

Where is there too personal of info posted on this thread? I am sure you are not talking about the OP who is talking about a 70K salary here in RDU are you? Good lord if you think discussing salary on a random message board is "too personal" then I don't know what to tell you.

To the OP, I live/work in Durham and make around 80K a year and have a wife that does not work and 1 child. We live VERY comfortably and do not even think of having to have a budget, and are still able to put 10% of my monthly income to savings/IRAs/etc. You being single making 70K will be way more than enough down here, so welcome to the south!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
Trying not to sound snarky or judgemental, but it absolutely AMAZES me how much personal info people are willing ot put on a public forum. I'm not sure what is wrong with doing it, but I've always been very cautious about what I post.

Last edited by freshjiv; 11-12-2010 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: a
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 08:22 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,858,163 times
I don't think anyone shared anything "too" personal. In comparison, has anyone seen Facebook lately? Egads. I learn more about people than I ever wanted to know.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:12 PM

693 posts, read 2,922,898 times
I agree 100%. I know way too much about what people have had for lunch and their mood every 1/2 hour. Its ridiculous. Seriously, no one cares people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
I don't think anyone shared anything "too" personal. In comparison, has anyone seen Facebook lately? Egads. I learn more about people than I ever wanted to know.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:33 PM

11,800 posts, read 27,471,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I agree 100%. I know way too much about what people have had for lunch and their mood every 1/2 hour. Its ridiculous. Seriously, no one cares people.
I have to laugh .

If you don't care what people are doing, then don't read their facebook page!!!

My office has a listserve. There is one for agents helping clients sell items and another for agents looking for property for their clients and another for agents to promote their listings.

For those that don't want to read these emails...we put something in the subject line like "Home for sale in North Hills, DINI".

The "DINI" is DELETE IF NOT INTERESTED.

The delete button is a wonderful invention!!!

Vicki

Old 11-14-2010, 10:12 PM

6,185 posts, read 13,858,163 times
I have to laugh.

Obviously some people don't know what Facebook is like. As some people say multiple times on this board, perhaps they shouldn't respond if they don't know what they are talking about.

There is a newsfeed of posts from one's friends on one's Facebook page. I don't go to everyone's page.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:07 AM

2,535 posts, read 4,504,336 times
Well, many of my facebook friends are modern homesteaders. When they list what they had for lunch they usually raised the animal, made the cheese, grew the veggies, etc. themselves. I am really interested in what they had for lunch! :-) If it was a burger from McD's...not so much.

Old 11-15-2010, 12:27 PM

10,323 posts, read 18,686,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VickiR View Post
If you don't care what people are doing, then don't read their facebook page!!!
If you were actually on Facebook, you'd realize that the setup of FB means that "status updates" from your "Friends" are shared on YOUR page, so they are there whether you "go read them" or not. Let's not "scold" people about something they aren't actually doing.

But now we're even farther off the original topic, 70K. It's certainly possible to live on that here, easily.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:22 PM

517 posts, read 1,399,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freshjiv View Post
I know way too much about what people have had for lunch and their mood every 1/2 hour. Its ridiculous. Seriously, no one cares people.
Facebook: "Only as interesting as your friends are."

Old 11-15-2010, 01:59 PM

11,800 posts, read 27,471,977 times
Perhaps checking your "settings" on Facebook will help.

You can stop the feeds and if you have a few friends that post continuously throughout the day (as I do), you can "hide" them or simply delete them.

Advice from someone who knows...

Vicki

Old 11-15-2010, 02:43 PM

11,151 posts, read 13,805,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCitytoNC View Post
Considering a position in Durham that pays 70k. Moving from Chicago, single, only major expense will be rent (1000/month)... Realistically, how far will 70k take me?
I've checked the cost of living comparison sites... But Want to hear from "real" people. Thanks for any info!!!
Ahem! ^^Topic^^ .................................................. .......... <<Discussion>>

Any chance we can get these two a little closer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary