U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 06:37 AM

29,463 posts, read 33,715,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcm2girls View Post
What about Knolls at the Neuse. Anyone know much about that area? I have seen a few houses that I like. The lots are smaller but probably still doable. I did a search of this forum and saw a message saying that the middle school for this area (I think it was smithfield MS) was less than desirable. However, that was from a few years ago and they mentioned building of a new MS (called powhatan or something along those lines) that was supposed to be better. Is there a new middle school, and if not, should I stay away from smithfield MS?
Be aware that the original builder of most of the homes in Knolls went bankrupt. It was a very nice development early on. The houses were slow to sell but part of that was the same homes by the same builder were available for less elsewhere.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 10:09 AM

207 posts, read 351,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcm2girls View Post
The area looks great but I am not finding any homes in my price range. Does anyone have a link to a site that lists Glen Laurel real estate?
Do you have a realtor? There are lots of homes in your price range in Clayton. We didn't purchase in Knolls of the Neuse because of Smithfield school districts. Smithfield middle and high are big no goes on my list. Are you searching realtor.com?

Old 11-10-2010, 04:27 PM

29,463 posts, read 33,715,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkc789 View Post
Do you have a realtor? There are lots of homes in your price range in Clayton. We didn't purchase in Knolls of the Neuse because of Smithfield school districts. Smithfield middle and high are big no goes on my list. Are you searching realtor.com?
You had company in that decison!

Old 11-10-2010, 04:32 PM

789 posts, read 1,596,108 times
Moderator cut: Real estate recommendations are NOT allowed has a good search feature, that will allow you to search for just a specific subdivision, plus you have a ton of options for narrowing down the results, and you can even do a search for a specific address. I use them to see how much new listings are going for in our subdivision. Very easy to use. I did a search using Clayton, up to $250k, single family home, minimum lot of 0.5 acres, and got 198 results, with homes as big as 3200 sq ft. Lots of options in Clayton for you. And FM will also allow you to search by schools, which is how we narrowed down our choices when we moved here. I'm not sure how schools are done where you currently live, but here they are done by county. So if you live in Clayton you could go to a Smithfield or Garner school. You can research the schools you're most interested in (and some are certainly better than others), and search just for homes in those areas. Just note that the schools may change, as the area is still growing and new schools are being built.

Oh, and I live on the Cleveland side. I disagree about the traffic being horrible. I-40 backs up a bit at rush hour, but if you're on 40 during rush hour, it won't matter what side of Clayton you live on, you're going to hit a bit of traffic (nothing compared to a major city and not as bad as further west on 40 as you head to RTP). Rt-42 gets some congestion over about a 1-2 mile stretch where the new Walmart and retail areas meets I-40, but that is very minor as well and driven mainly by traffic lights. No big deal and might add a minute or two to your drive time on wherever you're going.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-11-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 PM

20 posts, read 44,523 times
Quote:
I have lived in Clayton for many years. My family just moved from the "town" area of Clayton to Flowers Plantation which is on the East side closer to Raleigh away from town. This is the opposite side of Clayton from the "Cleveland" area. I used to work in the Cleveland area and there is too much traffic for me there. We are in Pineville East and we have indoor and outdoor pools at the club. Very nice neighborhood with very strict HOA. No pools allowed here. If you want to be in the "flowers" area without as strict rules you may like North Fort (as previously mentioned). My realtor lives there and the homes are brick. Across the street from it is Southwith Farms and you can get some privacy there but not sure how much is on the market. Plantation Point has homes in your range and they allow inground pools but lots may be smaller than you wanted. They also have a neighbordhood pool. Glen Laurel is nice but we were tired of paying city taxes and they also have city utilities so that costs more. I prefer to pay higher HOA than city taxes & utilities. We actually considered Summerset Place which is heading towards Smithfield between the Flowers & Cleveland areas. My parents live close to this area. It is a ways from stores/gas stations. This neighborhood is nice but pretty cookie cutter. Only a hardful of different plans here. I know several people who live here. We also received much better financing in the flowers area based on the geographical location. Feel free to message me if you need other information. What was your question regarding the school?

I did find some homes on Plantation Point that I liked a lot. But I thought I had looked at their covenents online and they didn't allow fences? Which isn't going to work for me. This whole "Flowers" thing is throwing me off. I keep seeing other subd's listed as being part of "Flowers". Is there more then one section? Are the rules different in different areas?
My question about schools was essentially which middle schools/high schools were the best and which to stay away from. I also wondered if any of them offered honors or gifted courses.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeblevins View Post
I see that someone else referenced it, but I think it deserves it's own point. The taxes are CONSIDERABLY higher inside the Clayton city limits vs. outside. We found that we could afford almost $40k more in a house outside for the same payment inside. This was the main reason we did not pick Glen Laurel or Riverwood. Please make sure you research!
Which sub's are outside the city limits then?

Old 11-10-2010, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumded View Post
Our subdivision is not over .5 acres but close to that and we have both in ground and above ground pools here. There are 4 or 5 houses for sale all under your price. Our hoa fees are very resonable $100 a year. No major restrictions just pretty much common sense and courtesy ones, there is a website I believe for the HOA.
We are closer to the wake county/garner area about 4 miles to exit 306 on 40.
I am loving your subdivision.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 PM

Quote:

I am adding Smithfield to my big no list as well. Thanks for all the great info! We do have a realtor but she hasn't offered any help by way of schools (other then to say to contact each one directly to see which ones I like) or subdivisions (other then to say to make sure I pick one that I am happy with). I still think I am flying blind!

Old 11-10-2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MainLineMommy View Post
Moderator cut: Real estate recommendations are NOT allowed has a good search feature, that will allow you to search for just a specific subdivision, plus you have a ton of options for narrowing down the results, and you can even do a search for a specific address. I use them to see how much new listings are going for in our subdivision. Very easy to use. I did a search using Clayton, up to $250k, single family home, minimum lot of 0.5 acres, and got 198 results, with homes as big as 3200 sq ft. Lots of options in Clayton for you. And FM will also allow you to search by schools, which is how we narrowed down our choices when we moved here. I'm not sure how schools are done where you currently live, but here they are done by county. So if you live in Clayton you could go to a Smithfield or Garner school. You can research the schools you're most interested in (and some are certainly better than others), and search just for homes in those areas. Just note that the schools may change, as the area is still growing and new schools are being built.

Oh, and I live on the Cleveland side. I disagree about the traffic being horrible. I-40 backs up a bit at rush hour, but if you're on 40 during rush hour, it won't matter what side of Clayton you live on, you're going to hit a bit of traffic (nothing compared to a major city and not as bad as further west on 40 as you head to RTP). Rt-42 gets some congestion over about a 1-2 mile stretch where the new Walmart and retail areas meets I-40, but that is very minor as well and driven mainly by traffic lights. No big deal and might add a minute or two to your drive time on wherever you're going.
Thank you for all the great advice! I will check out that site. So, which schools are better then others in Clayton area?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-11-2010 at 01:11 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 04:06 AM

5 posts, read 11,799 times
We moved to Clayton 5 years ago and live in Glen Laurel. Since we are in the town limits, our taxes and utilities are higher, however our HOA dues are only $125.00 annually! Neighborhood is a great - nice wide streets, side walks throughout the community. And the houses are not jammed in next to one another. There are older homes for sale and new homes under the construction in the new phase. Gold course if one of the best in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary