U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 08:15 PM

371 posts, read 1,006,684 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Thanks in advance for your help on this:

We are considering Twin Lakes as one of the candidate locations to buy a single family home. We are not very familiar with the home buying so any help or insights are really appreciated. What we are looking is - some pros and cons of this place. Our budget is under $300K for a 4BR, 3BA in a quarter of an acre for a new home. This location appears to get a home for us
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2010, 08:34 PM

11,791 posts, read 27,445,898 times
Anytime you buy a new home, the onsite agent works for the builder/seller. You should always take your own buyer's agent with you. You don't pay your buyer's agent.

I like Twin Lakes. You must take the base price of the home you want, add in the lot premium and try to estimate the upgrades you'll want (between 10% to 15%) and then figure on spending that amount.

The positives of Twin Lakes are...location, pool. The negatives are the airport noise, although our airport isn't that large and my clients that live out there are ok with the airplanes.

Vicki

Old 11-06-2010, 07:05 AM

995 posts, read 2,505,896 times
My personal opinion on KBhomes are not positive. They are poorly built homes.

Old 11-06-2010, 07:23 AM

1,832 posts, read 4,455,592 times
I've heard really great things about KB's quality and really negative. Just makes sure you get a really good inspector and a realtor to act on your behalf. We visited some KB homes in FL when we lived there and thought we were getting a bit of a bait and switch--the base price was for a box, not a "home." We had to pay extra for a 1/2 bath on the first floor--so you can imagine how aesthetics would add up. We figured we'd be $50k+ in so-called "upgrades"--things that are standard in most other builders' homes.

I would definitely look at them and ask for a list of upgrades and their prices.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:28 AM

11,791 posts, read 27,445,898 times
A "personal opinion" that says KB are poorly built homes? Cary town inspecters say differently. NC has a building code and new homes are inspected by the town/city. Slabs are inspected, framing is inspected, electrical is inspected. If the inspectors hired by the city/town say the home is up to code, how does someone claim the homes are "poorly built"?

As I stated above, KB starts with a base price. NO ONE wants the house without upgrades. However, adding $50K in upgrades would not be a good idea. You'd be overbuilding for most of their neighborhoods. From what I have seen my clients do (I have had 3 build in Twin Lakes), they add between 10% and 15% to the base price.

I'm not "for" or "against" KB Homes but I'd rather the OP know the real story instead of people's opinions. It is good to do your research.

If you are considering Twin Lakes, you should also check out TownHall Commons and Providence Place and a few other n'hoods in that area, as my clients did.

Vicki

Old 11-06-2010, 08:40 AM

7,696 posts, read 10,070,309 times
Having built lots of things I can tell you that passing inspection and building codes just touch the surface of whether a home is built with quality or not. And that's not even considering the difference between quality of "will the house stand up over time" and attention to detail and "fit and finish". This is all really stuff for another thread but please don't expect that because an inspector was on the site for 15-20 minutes per inspection that it is some guarantee of the quality and construction of a home.

Specific to KB at Twin Lakes. Now would probably be an OK time to buy since they just started building more standard style KB products there. You will get all the higher end homes pushing your value up. If you bought one of those higher end homes prior to this year, too bad for you I guess. Then again I'm sure the builder never promised they would build similar houses next to yours and KB is no different from most of the big nationals in that regard.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:54 AM

57 posts, read 125,353 times
We looked at KB/Twin Lakes a few years go. Poorly built homes with sub standard/cheap materials. KB basically gives you 4 walls and then nickle and dime for every small thing. Look elsewhere, there are better options elsewhere.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:54 AM

15,735 posts, read 23,966,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherifftruman View Post
Having built lots of things I can tell you that passing inspection and building codes just touch the surface of whether a home is built with quality or not. And that's not even considering the difference between quality of "will the house stand up over time" and attention to detail and "fit and finish". .
I totally agree.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:57 PM

1,842 posts, read 4,093,822 times
I would look for a resale home a few years old in a location further West to get out of the flight path.
The money you would spend on a new KB home in Twin Lakes will buy you a better constructed home pretty close by. I also think that .25 acres might be a push in Twin Lakes.
Plenty of really nice resales on the market in Cary that aren't KB boxes.

Old 11-06-2010, 01:26 PM

90 posts, read 197,367 times
I have to second what people are saying about looking into the actual quality of a tract built home. I am sure not all tract builders are bad, but you often get what you pay for.....you trade quality for square footage.

I know people who are very familiar with the KB product at Twin Lakes. It was their opinion that the houses are of very poor quality.

We owned a Drees home and it was very poor quality. I cannot begin to tell you how disappointed we were with the quality of the workmanship. We had an inspector throughout the building process. It didn't make a bit of difference. The house looked like crap....crooked door frames, a gable in the bonus room was off almost a foot on one side, crooked half wall, etc. We were embarrassed by the poor quality construction. We sold it and bought a better quality house.

We currently own a Wardson custom built house. It is almost 10 years old and looks almost brand new. There has been very little effects from settling. The walls, door frames, etc are square. The attention to detail shows. The house is amazing quality. It is truly a beautiful home that I am proud of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary