Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2010, 10:49 PM

26 posts, read 77,099 times

Advertisements

I'm exploring the possibility of moving the family to Raleigh, but trying to learn a bit more about the area, history of real estate, and general cost of living. Can anyone help?

We currently reside in Phoenix, AZ and with the addition of our second child in October we're finding our 1700 sq. ft, 3 bed 2.75 bath home is too small. We're wanting to get into something no more than 10 years old and no smaller than 2500 sq. ft. Is that do-able in Raleigh?

From what I've read it seems NC is a "tax happy" state. Is this true? Are taxes high? I make around $130k, but have two car payments and other expenses - just like most. I'm just trying to get a feel for things, so again any honest advice would be greatly appreciated - things like utilities, gas, etc. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 05:01 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,594,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_and_Tori View Post
We currently reside in Phoenix, AZ and with the addition of our second child in October we're finding our 1700 sq. ft, 3 bed 2.75 bath home is too small. We're wanting to get into something no more than 10 years old and no smaller than 2500 sq. ft. Is that do-able in Raleigh?
Are you asking if there are any houses in the entire Triangle area (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, plus surrounding areas) that are less than 10 years old and at least 2500 sq ft in size? Well of course there are! I just did a search on Realtor.com and it showed 2600+ homes. Perhaps you need to be a little more specific with your criteria.

Old 11-06-2010, 11:15 AM

I don't know the area at all. Just looking for some help with 1) Is NC a state that has very high taxes? 2) Can someone tell me about the area? We're not exactly close enough or able to visit just yet, but getting some help as to where the nicer areas are, how the schools are, where the better school districts are, which areas are high in crime, etc. For instance, here in AZ you can live in the area of Phoenix that borders Scottsdale and looks just a nice, but taxes are not as high as those who live across the street in "Scottsdale proper" just because its Scottsdale. Of course I know there are houses in the area within those vague criteria, but again I don't know the area and was hoping for some help from the locals who have been there for a while and can provide some local knowledge. Thanks.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:51 PM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
As a general rule of thumb property taxes on a single family home run around 1 to 1.2% of the home's value per year. Some municipalities are slightly lower.
A 2500 square foot home in Raleigh would cost anywhere from $250 to $325K and have taxes around $3,000 per year.
There is also a personal property tax assessed on your car at the same rate-drive a $25,000 car and pay $250 per year in property taxes on it. Those are tax deductible just like the property taxes on a home.
I don't feel taxed to death here but I come from metro NY which is a high taxation region.
Insurance rates for homeowners' and auto are low here IMO. Utilities are on the low side as well.
YMMV-
FC

Old 11-06-2010, 03:06 PM

1,277 posts, read 3,546,799 times
Keep in mind that you can live in the 'county' -- eg: not raleigh or cary proper -- and pay county taxes. They are *much* lower than 'city' taxes. In wake county, it is the same school system but you need to pay for own garbage pickup.

Old 11-06-2010, 03:31 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,863,564 times
Perhaps the CNN Cost of Living Comparison calculator will help you. When I plugged $130k salary for Phoenix, it calculated that a salary of $128,562 in Raleigh would give a similar standard of living

Cost of living: Compare prices in two cities - CNNMoney.com

Old 11-07-2010, 05:32 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,927,777 times
Arizona is, on aveage, a lower tax state than most. The Tax Foundation ranks its effective tax burden at 41st out of 50, with an average effective rate of 8.5%. It ranks NC as 20th, with an average effective rate of 9.8%. [Data as of 2008]

Old 11-07-2010, 10:45 AM

Thank you all so much!! This all helps a lot! Are there any sketchy places in the triangle that I should definitely not even consider looking at? Again, I can only compare to Phoenix, but there are like GREAT neighborhoods here, and then around the block there is the hood. Definitely wanting to avoid that type of housing scenario.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:41 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
First, you'd want to make sure that your $130K job would be A) even available here and B) pay the same. Lower cost of living usually equates to lower salaries, as well, unless you are completely self-employed, of course.

Every city has "sketchy" areas--for both Raleigh and Durham, these tend to be concentrated in the Southeastern part of the city. Both cities (like 'most anywhere) also have some nice areas not far from those areas, though N. Raleigh and Cary/Apex/Morrisville are characterized as "very suburban" by any definition. The Triangle area in general is low-density compared to a big city--poor public transportation and having a car is a must. I'm not sure how PHX ranks on that front or whether you care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary