Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 AM

79 posts, read 227,146 times

Advertisements

I switched to AT&T Uverse a few months back because of the incentives that they were offering and my promotional period with Time Warner had expired. The phone, internet and TV service was awesome UNTIL I decided to purchase a High Definition TV and pay the extra $10 for HD service. The quality is not close to what I expected. While it is definitely clearer when compared to standard def, I did notice a horrible motion blur, especially with sporting or anything with fast action. I also noticed a great deal of pixilation on some channels and a bit of shadowing where dark colors meet light colors. The attributes are not present when watching a DVD so I was convinced that it was a signal issue. After contacting AT&T a technician was sent out and he found nothing wrong with the connection.

Now that I am convinced that this is U-verse at its best, I am interested in switching TV providers and possibly keeping the phone and internet. Luckily, I did not sign a contract with AT&T so this is not an issue. I have read in other forums that Direct TV offers much better Hi-Def but have not heard much about Time Warner in the Cary area. How about Dish Network?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 01:02 PM

792 posts, read 4,488,436 times
You're right, Uverse HD picture quality isn't the best. Some people notice it and some people don't. The problem is because AT&T compresses the video stream too much. Sports seems to get the most complaints, but I don't think it's all uverse's fault. The networks are also guilty of over-compression, especially for live events, and I don't think all their video/camera equipment is equal either. I've noticed some NFL games look great and others seem blocky like what you describe - and it probably has something to do with what equipment is being used at the time.

Time-warner picture quality is about the same, maybe a tiny bit better. Dish/Direct is definitely better. For the best HD picture quality, use an antenna (obviously this won't help you for ESPN and other cable networks).

Old 11-07-2010, 04:12 PM

351 posts, read 770,348 times
DirecTV crushes TWC in terms of picture quality - and has plenty more features.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:24 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,362 times
I can't speak for UVerse...though I've had TWC and DirecTV, and my buddy has Dish. Both Dish and DirecTV have a much better picture than TWC. I also think the equipment (boxes) are much faster and easier to use compared to the Scientific Atlanta I had thru TWC a couple years ago. I have an HR-21 (DTV) though I want one of the new ones that just came out...I think they're HR-24's. They're supposedly even better than what I've got now.

DirecTV still has the edge in terms of HD programming and a substantial edge in terms of sports programming. If you're a football fan and can afford Sunday Ticket...it is a must-have. I get all of the sports networks as well (NHLN, NFLN, MLBTV, NBATV, Tennis, Golf). Beyond that, it's just a matter of finding the package that suits you best...I'm sure there are channels you don't care to have, and if you find a better package with Dish, I'd say go with that. Reception isn't as bad as many will lead you to believe. I've lost signal during severe storms (maybe 4-6 a year?)...for at most, 10 mins. I rarely ever lose the standard def feed though. And bottom line...my TWC/Earthlink internet goes out WAY more than my TV. I would always recommend not going with TWC...in fact, I'm itchin for UVerse to get here so I can dump TWC/Earthlink and their inferior infrastructure for internet. Some people have had no problems with TWC, others have absolute horror stories, like myself.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-11-2010 at 01:07 PM.. Reason: No soliciting

Old 11-08-2010, 07:42 AM

79 posts, read 227,146 times
From all that I have read here and other forums online, it seems that Direct TV is a much better choice when it comes to HD quality.

I see that they are offering 150 Channels for $29.99 a month (12 months) with a 2 year contract. Is there anyway to avoid signing a contract and getting it at this price with the free install?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
I can't speak for UVerse...though I've had TWC and DirecTV, and my buddy has Dish. Both Dish and DirecTV have a much better picture than TWC. I also think the equipment (boxes) are much faster and easier to use compared to the Scientific Atlanta I had thru TWC a couple years ago. I have an HR-21 (DTV) though I want one of the new ones that just came out...I think they're HR-24's. They're supposedly even better than what I've got now.

DirecTV still has the edge in terms of HD programming and a substantial edge in terms of sports programming. If you're a football fan and can afford Sunday Ticket...it is a must-have. I get all of the sports networks as well (NHLN, NFLN, MLBTV, NBATV, Tennis, Golf). Beyond that, it's just a matter of finding the package that suits you best...I'm sure there are channels you don't care to have, and if you find a better package with Dish, I'd say go with that. Reception isn't as bad as many will lead you to believe. I've lost signal during severe storms (maybe 4-6 a year?)...for at most, 10 mins. I rarely ever lose the standard def feed though. And bottom line...my TWC/Earthlink internet goes out WAY more than my TV. I would always recommend not going with TWC...in fact, I'm itchin for UVerse to get here so I can dump TWC/Earthlink and their inferior infrastructure for internet. Some people have had no problems with TWC, others have absolute horror stories, like myself.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-11-2010 at 01:07 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 08:55 AM

240 posts, read 627,765 times
Directv smokes TWC! Especially with the new My home DVR system. I have 3 boxes, one of which is my DVR and I can view my recorded content on all 3 tvs while recording 2 channels on the DVR.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:52 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpd View Post
From all that I have read here and other forums online, it seems that Direct TV is a much better choice when it comes to HD quality.

I see that they are offering 150 Channels for $29.99 a month (12 months) with a 2 year contract. Is there anyway to avoid signing a contract and getting it at this price with the free install?
But yeah, they'll try to prevent you from going elsewhere after that year is up by locking you in for another year. I think I got a one year contract in 2008...it was like, $59.99 for 12 months for the second highest package.

It's best to just be honest and call them up and tell them you would prefer to not be locked into a contract for two years. Get the terms...find out how much your bill will go up when the deal is up after 12 months and see what they can do for you. For the most part, DirecTV reps are plain English speaking Americans...so it's not too hard to understand them (though I did once talk to a "John" who I had to keep asking him to repeat himself). And if you ever run into someone in your neighborhood or someone else who is going to get it...make sure you give them your account number. I think you can "refer" up to 10 times at once...so, you technically could knock off $100/mo off your bill if you find ten people who are getting it (or get credit off future bills if you're bill is no where near $100/mo).

Oh and ask about the HD DVR boxes (if you go the DVR route)...I think they're HR-24. Bigger hard drive and faster (so I hear).

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 11-11-2010 at 01:08 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 01:21 PM

754 posts, read 1,693,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Oh and ask about the HD DVR boxes (if you go the DVR route)...I think they're HR-24. Bigger hard drive and faster (so I hear).
The HR24 is the best (fastest) DVR but they won't guarantee that you get one, even with replacements. It's basically luck of the draw.

Old 11-08-2010, 01:45 PM

33 posts, read 167,788 times
I'm not sure if you can avoid the 2 year contract, but when I called to inquire they said that you are allowed to suspend services for up to 6 mths (2 per year) at no additional charge.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 PM

216 posts, read 539,232 times
Buy an over-the-air HD antenna from Radio Shack and get all the local HD channels for free (or the cost of the antenna). You won't have to worry about cable/satellite outtages.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary