U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 06:44 AM

166 posts, read 423,199 times

Advertisements

Planning to have a Thanksgiving dinner at home for a few families - and have no faith in my cooking abilities, especially where a huge turkey is involved. Can you all give me ideas as to where I can place an order for one? I know some grocery stores do it, but wanted to see where all you have seen ads/have ordered from any/ideas etc.

Appreciate any replies,

Thanks,

B
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM

306 posts, read 387,927 times
I hear good things about the ones at Whole Foods. You can get turkey only or turkey w/fixings.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:09 PM

214 posts, read 628,559 times
Fresh Market also has pre-cooked turkeys, smoked turkeys, and boneless turkey breasts for order.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:39 PM

2,828 posts, read 8,178,350 times
Whole foods is a place that always comes to mind......the food they serve is always very very good. Here is a link to their online ordering for holiday meals. If you want to try it on your own, they also have tips and videos you can watch.......

Holidays 2010 at WholeFoodsMarket.com (http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/holidays/ - broken link)

Leigh

Old 11-08-2010, 05:20 PM

1,548 posts, read 1,317,287 times
We got the Harris Teeter package last year and were not impressed. Things were partially ready. We still had to put the turkey in the over for about an hour or so and then cook the sides. It was about the same hassle as doing everything ourselves, but at a higher cost.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:47 PM

4,898 posts, read 10,443,966 times
We were at Dickey's BBQ on Saturday and they had ads on the tables for holiday dinners. I don't recall any prices, but I'm guessing that the offerings would be smoked instead of oven-roasted or fried. Depending on your preference. . . that may be good or bad.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:19 AM

166 posts, read 423,199 times
Thank you for the replies. I am going to look into the options...will hold off on HT though after the review...

Old 11-09-2010, 08:44 AM

518 posts, read 617,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbeth01 View Post
Thank you for the replies. I am going to look into the options...will hold off on HT though after the review...
Keep in mind that reheating the turkey will be the most likely outcome wherever you get a pre-cooked turkey. I just took a peek at the whole foods website and it was the same deal - it said expect to heat the turkey for 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Even if the sides came hot, you would still need to heat them up again by that point.

Edit: I also want to add that it looks like city-data has forgotten to set its clock back.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:22 AM

373 posts, read 660,436 times
Certain BoJangles franchises prepare a fried turkey. But call quickly on this - they only do a limited number, and they go pretty quickly.

Also, check with a K&W/other cafeteria type place. My grandparents have decided this will be the route they take this year. Now the only decision is whether to bring it back or just eat there.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 AM

383 posts, read 769,473 times
We used Mimi's Cafe take-home holiday meal a couple of years ago and really liked it. You do have to re-heat everything but I agree that's probably the case with any of these. Mimi's is also open and serving the traditional meal on Thanksgiving Day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary