Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 10:00 AM

2,618 posts, read 3,148,515 times

Advertisements

Big news last week in Durham. The Health Dept. shut down a hot dog cart, near Duke Medical Center. Seems he was illegal as he was not part of a larger operation and couldn't qualify for a license, inspections or not.

I feel so much safer on the streets now that he's gone. Our only concerns now are parole absconders, repeat offenders, etc. But at least the hot dog cart is gone. What a relief.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,840,583 times
....and the micro-managing of society continues onward.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:24 AM

8,159 posts, read 10,928,258 times
Hurray for Durham County. The bum had no right out there trying to keep up and make an honest living....yes sirree

Old 11-09-2010, 11:00 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
Big news last week in Durham. The Health Dept. shut down a hot dog cart, near Duke Medical Center. Seems he was illegal as he was not part of a larger operation and couldn't qualify for a license, inspections or not.

I feel so much safer on the streets now that he's gone. Our only concerns now are parole absconders, repeat offenders, etc. But at least the hot dog cart is gone. What a relief.
To quote Paul Harvey "And now, the rest of the story..."

'Hot dog wars' erupt at Durham street corner :: WRAL.com

I don't feel bad for the guy who was shut down. He knew he was in violation of the health codes. I don't know about you, but I don't want street vendors prepping their food in their own private kitchens (like in their house) where State Inspectors can't check on their operation. Somehow all the other legit street vendors have found a way to play by the rules and turn a profit.

jmellc - are you suggesting the health department ignore their job and go after parole absconders? That is an odd notion indeed.

Old 11-09-2010, 11:33 AM

814 posts, read 2,007,055 times
I am with you NRG. He was only being asked to play by the same safety rules as the other hot dog vendors. Because he was a veteran he thought didn't...or something.....don't get it. And I agree, the health department has nothing to do with criminal enforcement, so that is a red herring. The health laws are there for a reason.

But, of course, the first time someone gets sick from a vendor like this, you can be sure people will be screaming "the government should have done a better job".

Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 2,654,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't know about you, but I don't want street vendors prepping their food in their own private kitchens (like in their house) where State Inspectors can't check on their operation.
As you said, that's not the whole story. It's not that they can't check their operation, the law clearly states that the operation must be aligned with an existing restaurant kitchen (sounds like a lobbyist written law to me).

Most people I know have a cleaner kitchen than most restaurants. So to answer your question, no I wouldn't have a problem with a street vendor preparing hot dogs in his own kitchen.

Just my two cents.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:08 PM

305 posts, read 761,210 times
Interesting that neither "Outlaw" nor his competition were there today when I went by at noon. You'd think the legit guy would be basking in all that extra space. Personally I'd rather not have someone selling food without a permit out of an un-inspected kitchen. Maybe he thought it would be ok since he was so close to an ER?

Old 11-09-2010, 02:11 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,284,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_DUDE View Post
As you said, that's not the whole story. It's not that they can't check their operation, the law clearly states that the operation must be aligned with an existing restaurant kitchen (sounds like a lobbyist written law to me).

Most people I know have a cleaner kitchen than most restaurants. So to answer your question, no I wouldn't have a problem with a street vendor preparing hot dogs in his own kitchen.

Just my two cents.
I think you misread my post. The reason they require you be affiliated with a comercial kitchen is so it fall under the umbrella of the health inspector and their ability to check commercial kitchens. They can't come into your house so they can't check up where this guy prepares his food products. Really no point in having health inspections at all if you allow people to skirt around them. Maybe it isn't important to you, but I think the vast majority don't share that view.

Quote:
That's nice. Do you know this guy?

Old 11-09-2010, 02:13 PM

222 posts, read 545,829 times
I've been seeing that guy for a while. (I think it's the same guy) Last year, he was selling near the corner of Hope Valley and University, which I thought was a very random location to choose. Months ago, I spotted him selling outside the hospital instead, which seemed to make more sense, but I always wondered what his deal was. I did wonder, especially when he was at the less conspicuous location, if he was legit at all. Guess not!

The way I understand the law, you don't have to have a real restaurant, but you do need a non-residential kitchen for the Health Department to have access to and inspect. My mom has been considering going into cake and cookie baking and decorating, but she's been trying to save enough to get a legitimate space. We're not thinking she needs to set up a whole restaurant to be able to sell cookies.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:35 PM

915 posts, read 2,382,531 times
Quote:

Just my two cents.
It is not hard at all to find a commercial kitchen to serve as your commissary. Every last hot dog vendor and food truck in the state of North Carolina does this already. So does anyone that is catering for you. It's as simple as phoning up country clubs and restaurants and finding one to rent time at $500 to $750 month. Most restaurants would have no problem renting to a hot dog vendor that works during the daytime, as the vendor would be in and out with only perhaps the porter ever seeing them. There's even catering facilities that are built just for this purpose.

You'd be surprised the things people do in their home kitchens that are truly unsafe. When was the last time you checked your fridge and freezer temperature? Is your food stored 8 inches from the ground and 6 inches from the wall so that bugs can't get into it? How are you packaging and storing leftovers? Do you have meat stored on a shelf above produce (just about everyone does, as the produce shelf is the lowest thing in the fridge)?

All of these things can lead to serious problems, and can shut down a restaurant instantly. When you cook for your wife and you both get the "24 hour bug" (i.e. Salmonella infection) then it is A-OK. When your hot dog stand gives it to Tuesday's 200 customers, then that is a problem. Especially when a few of those customers will be elderly, under 5, or otherwise at risk of dying from Salmonella.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary