Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:27 AM

477 posts, read 1,419,209 times

Advertisements

Rule #4 of the Tir na Nog group runs cited in previous post:

[SIZE=3]4. You MUST wear a HEADLAMP or carry a FLASHLIGHT during the winter season.
(Or set your hair on fire). You need to see and be seen![/SIZE]

Fleet Feet Raleigh (http://www.fleetfeetraleigh.com/content/view/43/77/ - broken link)

Please stay safe!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:04 AM

797 posts, read 3,580,676 times
I think the best option is to run in the morning. I run 60+ miles a week, and each one of my daily 8-9 mile runs starts at 6 am now and I am done at 7:15. I actually wish it would stay darker longer, I loved it before daylight savings ended where I could run almost an hour before the sun was coming up, now its like 10 min. Its never too cold at 6 am here, even in the dead of winter (high 20s usually at most), so weather is not a problem like it is in the northeast or midwest. I don't even start to wear long sleeves, gloves, or ear warmers on my run unless the temp dips below 35 degrees. I have learned that below 35 is where I need something more than shorts and a short sleeve running shirt.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:12 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucyAussie View Post
I think they get the point...they just disagree...because it's dumb.
When you have been shot at while running in an American city at night from passing vehicles, you learn how to keep ones eyes open at all times and yes Blend into your surroundings. I will still say this Works for me. I can see where I am running and see what is headed my way. We just disagree.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:26 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
When you have been shot at while running in an American city at night from passing vehicles, you learn how to keep ones eyes open at all times and yes Blend into your surroundings. I will still say this Works for me. I can see where I am running and see what is headed my way. We just disagree.
Shot at? Eeck, you need more friends. I've got to admit that I drive my car in the morning darkness so I can run on a treadmill at the gym. It let's me catch up on my ESPN. :-)

Frank

Old 11-10-2010, 11:48 AM

97 posts, read 385,059 times
In response to the OP, I'd strongly suggest finding a group run. Being a woman myself, I'd never run in the dark by myself, best to keep yourself out of potential dangerous situations. Also running in a group you'll like make some new friends and stay motivated through the cold winter

Old 11-10-2010, 12:32 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankpc View Post
Shot at? Eeck, you need more friends.
Yeah, probably shot at by a drive that just had the life scared out of them for driving up on some idiot with dark cloths, running at night

+1 on the bad idea...

I'm a mountainbiker, and we all look forward to this time of year because we can night ride. Nothing like careening through the woods (totally away from ALL traffic) at mach speed, dodging trees under the halogen sun...

But as a female runner (you, not me), I agree that safety is important. I would not want my wife or daughter running alone after dark. I'd be more OK with it pre-sunrise.

IMO, the best options have already been stated:
group runs
AM runs

A couple other ideas that come to mind, and may or may not work in your particular situation:
-What about running immediately after work, before you drive home? Not sure how long you need, or where your work environment is?
-cross train (pick another sport to do in winter time
-run at lunch (can you shower at your work?)

I would also think that some of the more popular greenway areas might be safe (regency park, shelly lake, etc.) but to be honest, I really don't know this to be true. Maybe you can check it out?

Good luck, I feel your pain, but know you can find a way to run.

(PS: The advice about a dog is good advice. Nothing like a big-arse rottweiller to deter those with bad intentions....)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary