Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 04:02 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,803,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
There are many Wegmans located in the Philadelphia area - perhaps not in the city itself, but definitely in its suburbs. My niece works at one of them.

ETA:
There are 7 Wegmans in what I would consider the Philadelphia area:
Collegeville
Downingtown
King of Prussia
Malvern
Warrington
Cherry Hill, NJ
Mt. Laurel, NJ

And it looks like they are adding an 8th Philly-area store in Montgomeryville, PA in 2013.
Hmmm, so I guess putting one in Knightdale and one in Creedmoor would quiet all the Wegmaniacs?

Old 12-14-2012, 06:16 PM

553 posts, read 1,268,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Nobody can truthfully say that Wegmans isn't great, but I was a Tops person myself. Rochester was a Wegmans town, and Wegmans was accordingly pretentious as hell, as are the people there (I was one of them). It worked for them and I say God bless 'em. But I'd go into some of the Weggies and it was like the Muzak was singing "Are you sure that you're good enough to be here?" and most of the people in the aisles were responding, "Of course we are. We're better than anyone". It was a little scary sometimes.

Tops from the Buffalo area had more of a Buffalo vibe, which was real regular people with no burrs in their personalities -- the kind of people you can very naturally strike up conversations with in the checkout line. The kind of people whose cooking would be knockout delicious and would have no frilly foo-foo ingredients anywhere in it. If you ever want to live among especially good people, Buffalo's your place.

When the City of Rochester needed someone to put a couple supermarkets in the city, Tops would do it but Wegmans wouldn't. Which might be okay. Weggies would be pretty out-of-place in the city, but Tops is very location-adaptable. They're particularly good at that, in fact.

S

Lived in Buffalo for 20 years. I liked Wegmann's way more than Tops. I always felt that "Buffalo vibe" at the Wegmann's in my neck of the Bflo.

But, I guess it's like those who like McDonald's and those who prefer Burger King. Whatever makes you happy.

Old 12-29-2012, 12:10 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,212,206 times
Well I never made it to Wegman's during my trip back to NJ. Drove by several times but never felt the need to go in and shop ( the horror!). Oddly enough I still feel complete.

Old 12-29-2012, 02:43 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,055,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonorio View Post
Nobody can truthfully say that Wegmans isn't great, but I was a Tops person myself. Rochester was a Wegmans town, and Wegmans was accordingly pretentious as hell, as are the people there (I was one of them). It worked for them and I say God bless 'em. But I'd go into some of the Weggies and it was like the Muzak was singing "Are you sure that you're good enough to be here?" and most of the people in the aisles were responding, "Of course we are. We're better than anyone". It was a little scary sometimes.

Tops from the Buffalo area had more of a Buffalo vibe, which was real regular people with no burrs in their personalities -- the kind of people you can very naturally strike up conversations with in the checkout line. The kind of people whose cooking would be knockout delicious and would have no frilly foo-foo ingredients anywhere in it. If you ever want to live among especially good people, Buffalo's your place.

When the City of Rochester needed someone to put a couple supermarkets in the city, Tops would do it but Wegmans wouldn't. Which might be okay. Weggies would be pretty out-of-place in the city, but Tops is very location-adaptable. They're particularly good at that, in fact.

S
Wegmans pretentious? Rochesterians at Wegmans pretentious? Rochesterians the least bit pretentious?? LOL! Hysterical! Wegmans had many locations in the city, but they closed because they weren't making money -- just like what happens here.

Pretentious? Never! (Unless you were talking about Pittsford.)

Last edited by lovebrentwood; 12-29-2012 at 03:12 PM..

Old 05-31-2014, 03:10 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,870,816 times
I thought this story might be of interest, since this chain gets mentioned so frequently on this forum.

Let's Eat! Why we're obsessed with Wegmans

Old 06-01-2014, 03:22 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,859,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
Well I never made it to Wegman's during my trip back to NJ. Drove by several times but never felt the need to go in and shop ( the horror!). Oddly enough I still feel complete.
It's pretty simple, people really like Wegmans and with good reason. There isn't anything here that resembles a Wegman's.

On top of that, people who aren't impressed with Wegmans are free to not go.

Personally, i don't like fast food, but with so many FF Restaurants around, there must be plenty of folks who do like it. If there was a thread about bringing Whataburger to the Triangle, I wouldn't feel compelled to comment in it.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:44 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,106,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHTransplant View Post
I thought this story might be of interest, since this chain gets mentioned so frequently on this forum.

Let's Eat! Why we're obsessed with Wegmans
Yep. That's about it. Wegman's is a really large Fresh Market with a bit of Whole Foods rolled in that carries regular grocery items, too.

I am never impressed by hot bars anyplace, but what I do like about Wegman's is stuff like variety in produce and cheeses and so forth. Wine is decent, but I havent' shopped in them too often, so I don't know what their selection would be like on a regular basis.

I am not opposed to Wegman's coming to this area, because they're nice stores, but it doesn't seem like they're going to right now and I do get why people who used to shop there are nostalgic about them and want them here, but until they want to be here, I don't reckon they will be.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:49 PM

34,937 posts, read 36,106,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
It's pretty simple, people really like Wegmans and with good reason. There isn't anything here that resembles a Wegman's.

Personally, i don't like fast food, but with so many FF Restaurants around, there must be plenty of folks who do like it. If there was a thread about bringing Whataburger to the Triangle, I wouldn't feel compelled to comment in it.
I agree with what you're saying, but what I read from NRG's post was that (while he can no doubt see why some people might want a Wegman's on every corner or what have you), he doesn't feel like he needs a Wegman's.

I didn't get that he didn't want them around. Just more like he doesn't feel like he's missed anything having not been in one.

Eh... maybe if they ever came here and they were convenient to his house, he'd start shopping there regularly, who knows?

And you could absolutely comment in a thread about bringing something to town that you don't get the obsession over if you wanted, because Wegman's as a topic is not really a casual mention. It pops up every now and then and it's right up there with IKEA and "why is there no good pizza," at least here on the Triangle board.

Old 06-04-2014, 04:21 PM

1 posts, read 1,155 times
Just found this thread. When visiting "Home" in Rochester in 2010 I struck up a conversation with the store manager. He asked if I was buying all the pkgs of Zweigles Hots for a family reunion. I told him that I was transporting them back home to SC. I mentioned how much I missed Wegmans and many of their products. He told me that at their most recent District Managers Meeting that it was announced to all the managers that Wegmans had bought a large piece of land in North Carolina to be developed for future use in possibly 6-10 years. He also stated that it was in Northern North Carolina and that this location was the farthest south that Wegmans will expand to. I grew up in Rochester when Wegmans was a small mom and pop store. It is an amazing store with a fantastic product line. Publix is very good (the newer modern ones and I also like Harris Teeter, but they are grocery stores and Wegmans, well it is an experience.)

Old 06-04-2014, 04:25 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,212,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post

Well I don't feel compelled to reply to comments that are two years old (you just responded to my comment from 2012 btw) but have at it friend if it makes you happy!

I personally enjoy the never ending hope some have for Wegman's coming to NC. It has been discussed on this forum for over 8 years now. How inspiring!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary