U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:29 PM

1,940 posts, read 2,452,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I just got back from a trip to Wegmans. While I still don't think it would play a role in my decision on where to live, I can understand why some people feel so strongly about it. It is a very nice store.
What, no pictures? (just teasing)

Old 12-21-2010, 01:42 PM

355 posts, read 587,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Wegmans is good for people who don't like to cook, and think that grocery shopping should be "an experience." Their store brand isn't that bad, but theres at least a half dozen grocery stores in NC that are better then the vastly vastly overrated Wegmans. It was nice to get away from people who slobber over it, I would hate to see it pop up here
I can't even begin to comprehend this. Good for people that don't like to cook? How so? And where are these mythical NC grocery stores you speak of?

They have everything a cook could want. How many local stores carry white and black truffles? How many carry rabbit? How many carry a variety of fois gras? How many have such a wide selection of well cared for cheeses? Etc. Etc. When we were in DC, we shopped there all the time, because we cook every night, doing everything from scratch - no cans, no boxes, all fresh ingredients. No one in the DC area could match the selection and quality of the products under a single roof. It's a freaking cook's nirvana.

Old 12-21-2010, 04:13 PM

1,908 posts, read 1,585,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clever User Name View Post
I can't even begin to comprehend this. Good for people that don't like to cook? How so? And where are these mythical NC grocery stores you speak of?

They have everything a cook could want. How many local stores carry white and black truffles? How many carry rabbit? How many carry a variety of fois gras? How many have such a wide selection of well cared for cheeses? Etc. Etc. When we were in DC, we shopped there all the time, because we cook every night, doing everything from scratch - no cans, no boxes, all fresh ingredients. No one in the DC area could match the selection and quality of the products under a single roof. It's a freaking cook's nirvana.
Every wegmans I've been in, half the store is devoted to a restaurant area, an area for subs and salad bar ect, a bakery, flowers, and prepared meals, among other things. The actual grocery store portion was probably less then half of the entire store. I didn't shop there very often, because I try to keep a budget, but whenever I would, the lack of selection due to the limited size for the actual grocery store section was maddening. Again, as someone who looks for a grocery store to provide groceries, this place is wildly overrated for me. If you are looking for a 'shopping experience" then I guess it would do.

Old 12-21-2010, 08:20 PM

1,181 posts, read 1,451,357 times
Not sure what Wegmans you've been to, but many of their stores push toward 140,000 square feet...that's room for a lot of stuff. They tout that their stores typically carry about 70,000 items, compared to 40,000 in a typical large supermarket. They've got a ton of prepared food and other ancillary offerings, but the core grocery sections certainly don't suffer for it.

Wegmans is the #1 thing I miss after having grown up in Buffalo. It's got just about everything you could ever want, solid prices, and is routinely rated as one of the best companies in the country to work for.

I just can't understand how anyone wouldn't like Wegmans, unless perhaps they fear getting lost in the store. Was just up in Buffalo yesterday and took the opportunity to stop by a Wegmans even though I didn't really need anything...their stores just keep raising the bar for grocery stores.

Old 12-22-2010, 05:04 AM

733 posts, read 1,365,569 times
Love me some Wegmans, too. Hubby can't wait, when we make the trek with the kids to NY- to stop on the way there. Doesn't matter if it's 2AM - we're stopping on the way to my parents. Love the bakery, the deli, the produce, the people, the parking, the whole thing. It just rocks. Nothing comes close.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:29 AM

355 posts, read 587,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
The actual grocery store portion was probably less then half of the entire store. I didn't shop there very often, because I try to keep a budget, but whenever I would, the lack of selection due to the limited size for the actual grocery store section was maddening. Again, as someone who looks for a grocery store to provide groceries, this place is wildly overrated for me. If you are looking for a 'shopping experience" then I guess it would do.
This doesn't sound like a Wegman's I've been to either. Yes, they have these other things, but I've always gone there for the selection. Compare their meat counter, their deli, their seafood counter, their cheese counter, their produce, and even their basic food aisles to any other grocery store, and there's really no comparison. They have some pretty esoteric stuff. But my favorite thing is that their employees are actually knowledgeable about the food that they sell. Being a private company, Wegmans can actually take the time and spend the money to train their people properly.

Old 12-22-2010, 07:39 AM

77 posts, read 157,401 times
As an employee of Wegmans it so nice to hear how widely regarded our company is! I don't think we will be moving any further south than Virginia anytime soon.. If anything we will be renovating our existing stores in NY and PA that need updates and possibly looking into moving towards Connecticut/ Ohio, we've covered the rest of the northeast. NC would just be too far from the distribution center in Downingtown, PA and I doubt they would build a third just for that area.

Also, if you haven't noticed, the whole state of NC is not so hot for the economy/ housing right now. That housing bubble really burst in your face! But I love that you all love Wegmans so much, and do stop by and see us anytime your up North!

Old 12-22-2010, 08:58 AM

9,068 posts, read 18,396,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zitsky View Post
What, no pictures? (just teasing)
You should know better!

Old 12-22-2010, 09:34 AM

546 posts, read 650,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
You should know better!

Sigh...I miss my Weggies.

Old 12-22-2010, 11:52 AM

18 posts, read 33,653 times
My wife and I are from central NY and have been living in Cary for the past 3 years. We miss Wegmans and whenever we're back visiting and are driving, we load up on some of the central NY staples like Hoffman hotdogs and coneys. We have found a website, "Taste of Central NY" where you can order some of the food products sold in Wegman's. Hope Wegman's continues to expand into our state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary