U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 08:42 AM

7 posts, read 9,523 times
Default Wegmans = ? in NC

Anyone from NY area find a grocery store in NC that is like Wegmans? I miss my Wegmans!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:24 AM

2,688 posts, read 4,615,767 times
The closest maybe Harris Tetters but they are not Wegmans. The closest Wegmans to the area is in Virginia right off 95 but plenty far for milk and eggs. May be close enough for one of their subs thou!

Keeping the shoppers card handy in wallet just in case one comes to an area near here!

Old 11-10-2010, 10:30 AM

685 posts, read 535,624 times
I am from Wegmansland too and I like Harris Tetters. I don't like Wegmans. 21th Century Americans are pretty spoiled but there was a time when excess was considered garish and tasteless, and that's the feeling I get when I go to Weggie's. Still, they have some things that I go there for.

Last edited by Sonorio; 11-10-2010 at 10:31 AM.. Reason: to correct spelling

Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 AM

13 posts, read 23,436 times
I wish. My girlfriend and I are still stuck here in Tampa for a few more years and Wake Forest is on our map of "places to settle down", a Wegmans would easily seal the deal. Being from Rochester, Wegmans spoiled me..now I have to settle for the "excuse of a grocery store" that is Publix. When we came to the area last march, Harris Teeter was close...but as everyone here will tell you, there is no substitute.

I still remember the look on my girlfriends face when I took her to her first "Wegmans experience" and her jaw hit the floor when she saw it was 2 stories and had a day care.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 PM

6,063 posts, read 9,056,960 times
I miss Wegmans. I love seeing their products on "The Office."

I haven't ever been to a Wegmans I thought was garish and tasteless. But then again, I've only been to ones in the Rochester area. They usually are just very customer-oriented, the produce is displayed nicely, they have a great variety of goods and services, and the overhead lights are dimmer. Many supermarkets have followed suit as far as getting rid of bright lights, thank goodness.

I am thankful for Wegmans every time I visit one. I know what it was like to go shopping behind the Iron Curtain when there was an Iron Curtain (during a visit). I always think of Wegmans as pure heaven in comparison.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:31 PM

703 posts, read 1,008,839 times
I heard a rumor that one was opening somewhere in NC...just a rumor though.

Old 11-10-2010, 12:39 PM

99 posts, read 194,575 times
Store Locator | Wegmans (http://tinyurl.com/2vau457 - broken link)

Closest one is in Fredricksburg VA.

Always visit one in Hamburg NY when there seeing family.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:54 PM

222 posts, read 312,738 times
I generally roll my eyes when my husband talks about something that was so great up North, but I do have to admit: Wegmans is in a class of its own. I don't think I could handle doing my regular shopping there just from sensory overload! Still, it would be really, really great to have something like that here, because I do know that I would be there for many different things. I can't say that there is anything like that here already, no. Sorry. If they expand their territory, they'd be fools not to come here. I know Harris Teeter is firmly established, but I just can't see how a Wegmans would go wrong here.

Old 11-10-2010, 03:15 PM

9,068 posts, read 18,396,322 times
I'm looking forward to be getting a new Whole Foods in North Raleigh near my house, but besides that, I can't get too excited over grocery stores. I've been to Wegmans up in NJ where my family lives. It's cool and all, but at the end of the day it is just a place to buy food. If they ever open one up in this area - great, but I can't imagine basing a decision to move here on that. I can think of a lot of places I would rather spend time than behind a shopping cart!

Old 11-10-2010, 03:34 PM

355 posts, read 587,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
It's cool and all, but at the end of the day it is just a place to buy food.
Blasephy! Oh, North Raleigh Guy, I thought you were a stand up dude. But, now I see it was all an act. You're not on the dead to me list, but with statements like that, you're on thin ice. (yes, I'm kidding)

Wegman's is freaking awesome. If you like food at all, the place is beyond compare in the grocery world. The selection and quality is on a whole different level. And, they actually pay their people a living wage and train them. Ask their cheese, wine, meat, seafood, etc. people a pretty esoteric food-dork question and you'll get a pretty thoughtful informed response. They will actually know what they're talking about.

If you want a Wegman's email them. They base their decisions to open new stores on feedback they receive. While they take a very cautious (i.e., slow) approach to expansion, it's not out of the realm of possibility. They're in Virginia now, they just need to come a bit further south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary