U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 10:52 PM

5 posts, read 9,601 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

I am planning to relocate from New York City, NY to Raleigh within the next 7 months ( I am aiming for June). My fiancee is moving during the Thanksgiving weekend, and because of a contractual agreement, I cannot leave until June. I also own a business, where I work with children who have learning disabilities, and I have been fairly successful in NYC (I've been featured on radio and tv several times ).

My questions are:
How much money do you think I should have saved up before I leave?
What is the housing market like? What is your rent or mortgage like? Where are the best places to buy?
What about jobs, are there teaching/education jobs available?

And lastly, because I would like to DEFINITELY continue my business in Raleigh ( I am licensed as a speech pathologist and as a childhood and special education teacher) and my business is specialized for children with learning and speech disabilities, what is the climate for a person offering this service(many people, no people or some people)?

I would definitely like some feedback on these topics. I appreciate everything! Thanks a bunch...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 10:29 AM

3,006 posts, read 4,228,379 times
I think you should save $6500 before you leave.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:59 PM
VSB

167 posts, read 724,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nync123 View Post
My questions are:
How much money do you think I should have saved up before I leave?
What is the housing market like? What is your rent or mortgage like? Where are the best places to buy?
What about jobs, are there teaching/education jobs available?

And lastly, because I would like to DEFINITELY continue my business in Raleigh ( I am licensed as a speech pathologist and as a childhood and special education teacher) and my business is specialized for children with learning and speech disabilities, what is the climate for a person offering this service(many people, no people or some people)?
I have no knowledge of the speech pathology market, but I imagine the prevalence of speech pathologies is no different here than anywhere else. Therefore, I imagine the relative percentage of children with speech disabilities is the same here as in NY and the absolute number will be markedly lower given the lower population here.

According to the Wake County Public School System website, there were over 14,000 students with special needs/learning disabilities as of the year 2000. Since the population has doubled since then, I imagine that number has doubled as well. See HERE.

Wake County also offers a highly regarded early intervention program called Project Enlightenment. It aims to identify kids (birth through kindergarten) with learning disabilities early on, and intervene appropriately to help them prepare for school. I imagine they could provide you with "numbers" regarding the population of students in need. They may also have a referral service to local speech pathologists once students are too old to benefit from their services. I know of one family with a profoundly deaf child who found their services very helpful. Check it out, here.

As far as your other questions are concerned, read the forums and be more specific, since those kinds of vague questions have too many answers to really be helpful. Do some legwork on your own, decide what you think you might be interested in and what your budget is, and come back with some specifics. Then you'll get some real help.

Last edited by VSB; 11-12-2010 at 07:01 PM.. Reason: Error of omission

Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 PM

10,396 posts, read 19,409,569 times
Special Ed is one of the very few areas that, I hear, has good job prospects in teaching.

Save as much as you can--you don't know how long it will take to get a job, plus just why not save as much as you can in this economy, no matter where you are?

It's impossible for anyone to answer "Where are the best places to buy?" without more specific info. This is a huge area with many nice areas. are you dead-set on Raleigh itself, or just the general Triangle area? What other things are you looking for in a neighborhood/house? What things do you not care as much about? There is no "one" answer for everyone.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:02 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,115,810 times
You might want to consider renting for a while until you get to know the neighborhoods. My partner and I bought a property after living here for a year. I think we could have waited a bit longer before buying so we could see where housing prices were going.

What's the reason for moving here? It's a nice area, but you will definitely have culture shock. NYC is a great place. You will not have the same choice of restaurants, entertainment, etc, but you already know that.

I also don't know about the speech pathology demand here, but I think you will do well. I still think about getting into that. I think it would be much more interesting than working in IT which is what I've been doing for a while. I know that the University of North Carolina in Chapel Hill has an excellent speech pathology department. You might be able to contact them to get some idea what the local demand is for your services.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:31 PM

6,196 posts, read 14,229,334 times
Another idea is to join, if you haven't already, a national professional association for speech pathologists and connect with its members in the Triangle area. They'll know best what the outlook is and may be able to give you some really good tips.

I did that (for my field) before moving here (a long time ago), and it worked out very well.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:43 PM

21 posts, read 36,309 times
I'd also suggest contacting UNC, Duke and the Wake County & Durham County school systems. There is no doubt the demand for special education is always there. I myself have a special child in one of the Wake County High schools. There the Speech, OT & PT instructors come to the school.

You can rent a decent town home for around $1100 and a single family home for around $1400 in the Cary/Morrisville/Apex towns of Wake County. Durham is almost the same, but Chapel Hill could be more expensive.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:22 PM

9,680 posts, read 24,097,121 times
Plenty of decent rentals except in high cost transplant magnet areas. Much cheaper than NYC rents.

Be aware, there is little to no public transportation, really little if you move out to the more rural areas.

Money will be very tight if state cuts hit schools as Gov. Perdue forecasts.

If we could afford to consider NYC or DC, we'd do it because of great public transit, Lived 10 years in Manhattan. Tough place but too expensive now.

Be sure this area will meet your needs.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:01 PM

Thank you for your response. I agree, and I have definitely looked into the area. Its always different to hear from a native and/or an individual who has lived in the area for several years. Thank you for all the links!

Old 11-14-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemat247 View Post
I'd also suggest contacting UNC, Duke and the Wake County & Durham County school systems. There is no doubt the demand for special education is always there. I myself have a special child in one of the Wake County High schools. There the Speech, OT & PT instructors come to the school.

You can rent a decent town home for around $1100 and a single family home for around $1400 in the Cary/Morrisville/Apex towns of Wake County. Durham is almost the same, but Chapel Hill could be more expensive.
Thanks so much for this info... I've been on several real estate websites and they all say about the same. I plan to live there for a while so I can learn the area, I know that'll be my best bet moving forward. Do you have any contact info? Maybe we can work together in the future (private message):-)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary