Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 12:23 AM

16 posts, read 69,260 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to the Cary/Apex area and I hate spiders. I am wondering if there is a spider (or insect) problem in the area.

Also, I live in an area in California that is newly developed and everyone has had issues with mice since the construction was done on old farms. Are there mice problems with the new construction areas in Cary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2007, 01:31 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Cary is a more established community so you may not have as much trouble with the mice. But most of the newer developments are built on land where farms were not very long ago. There was mouse activity in both of the Johnston County houses where I lived, which were near farms and/or were former farm sites. A little D-con and the introduction of a pair of cats into the household did a lot. The mice can carry fleas, so protect against that, but the cats' scent alone goes a long way in repelling mice. Mice have one of the keenest senses of smell of any mammal and do not tend to go where there are predators.

Black widows and brown recluses are there just like anywhere else in the South or Midwest. I occasionally saw brown recluses outside in NC, but never in the house.

Fact - this is for everyone moving from the Northeast or the West Coast to anywhere within an afternoon's drive of the South Atlantic or Gulf coasts - there are more bugs. You will have to deal with it.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:39 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,836,916 times
I inspect houses for a living. I have been in approximately 5,000 crawlspaces and have seen Recluse spiders just a handful of times. Black Widows are very common though, but they rarely leave their web. Neither species wants anything to do with us and they are of very little threat unless you accidentally touch one. Widows will almost never be found inside of a house(in the living area anyway).
Termites are the bugs you better worry about around here lol.

Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,924,092 times
Ok, I'm from the northeast, and I don't like spiders and I don't like snakes, but I can deal with it. What I want to know is with 2 small kids (2 and 4) and 2 border collies, do I need some sort of antidote on hand. IE if the one of the dogs gets wrapped up with a copperhead is there some sort of epipen I need on hand? Or do I just dig a hole?

Old 07-09-2007, 01:07 PM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,112 times
I was told recently that spiders mostly reside in pinetrees or piles of pinestraw.

I was digging out some pinestraw around my friends house to put down some mulch and about a thousand spiders scrambled out.

So, I would first hire an exterminator to come and inspect the house, have them treat it, THEN move in.
Oh, and beware of pinestraw. (if that's true)

Old 07-09-2007, 03:46 PM

spiders like tree debris in general, or anywhere natural that will pull in their food source.
If a dog gets bit by a copperhead, it will recover on its own just fine(provided it is not a small dog, they may be more susceptible to the venom). You can give the dog benadryl to relieve some of the swelling/pain. I have had a couple dogs bit over the years and they were fine after a few days.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:31 PM

8 posts, read 47,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrickhead28 View Post
I was told recently that spiders mostly reside in pinetrees or piles of pinestraw.

I was digging out some pinestraw around my friends house to put down some mulch and about a thousand spiders scrambled out.

So, I would first hire an exterminator to come and inspect the house, have them treat it, THEN move in.
Oh, and beware of pinestraw. (if that's true)
We just put in a contract on a Cary home that has lots of pinestraw in the backyard! Is this true about spiders making their homes in it??! Most of the pinestraw is in the middle and back of the backyard - not right up against the house. Do you think the spiders will just stay in the straw - or will they migrate toward (or into) the house?

Old 07-09-2007, 06:38 PM

Spiders will live wherever there is a foos source. Keep the crawlspace bombed every few months and sprinkle some sevin dust around the foundation wall twice a ear. That pretty much cures spiders....no food, no spiders.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:42 PM

8 posts, read 47,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Spiders will live wherever there is a foos source. Keep the crawlspace bombed every few months and sprinkle some sevin dust around the foundation wall twice a ear. That pretty much cures spiders....no food, no spiders.
Thanks for the tips!!

Old 07-10-2007, 06:11 AM

35 posts, read 137,222 times
We just bought a house and we have noticed that there are white "puffs" all over the backyard in the pine needles. We think they are spiders but are not sure. Is there a particular type of spider that lives in the pine needles? Can we have an someone come spray for them? I, on the other hand, would hate to kill all the spiders because they are good for insect control. What about my kids, what if they play in the white "puffs". Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary