Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 11:37 AM

804 posts, read 1,998,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcub View Post
does anyone have the retention number?
so wish i'd had the direct one. i just called the TWC regular number (1-866489-8669) & saying "retention department" whenever it asked for information. i thought it would end up putting me through to the regular customer service department, but the woman i spoke with acknowledged she was in the retention department when i said that i was trying to reach it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 11:47 AM

1,039 posts, read 2,645,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Get used to it. Everytime somebody decides to get their video solely from Hulu, Netflix, etc in conjunction with OTA TV -- according to news reports, many people are increasingly making that choice -- the cable companies lose revenue. How do they make it up? By raising the internet service fee, which is required to reach Hulu and the other streaming providers. AT&T U-Verse and Vz FIOS face the same problem.
I don't think that many people are getting their video *solely* from Hulu, etc. So that argument is DoA.

Secondly, it is the channels, not the providers, losing revenue. Cable simply resells the network programming. The networks are raising rates because of low advertising.

Cable is more involved than plug it in and send your payment it. There are many different expenses/revenue streams to consider.

Old 11-17-2010, 12:11 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,856,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard-xyzzy View Post
Get used to it. Everytime somebody decides to get their video solely from Hulu, Netflix, etc in conjunction with OTA TV -- according to news reports, many people are increasingly making that choice -- the cable companies lose revenue. How do they make it up? By raising the internet service fee, which is required to reach Hulu and the other streaming providers. AT&T U-Verse and Vz FIOS face the same problem.
Not so according to the cable companies:

Time Warner Cable: Cord-Cutting Not to Blame for Lost Subscribers | AllThingsD

Old 11-17-2010, 02:23 PM

4,234 posts, read 4,657,835 times
An opposite point of view:

Research Shows Fewer Cable Subscribers In Last Quarter - NYTimes.com

Google with a search limited to the last 60 days and you'll see that interpretations of the statistics are rapidly changing. Don't drink the koolaid put out by the cable companies. They very much want the public -- and especially the investment community -- to believe that dip is reversible and economy-driven. Any perception that the dip arises from shifts in consumer preferences is very frightening to cable companies and their investors. For example, there are clear signs that persons between the ages of 20 and 29 are not signing up to cable at nearly the rate their parents did.

On the other hand, Hollywood has already thrown movie exhibitors under a bus and is willing to do likewise to cable companies, if a new distribution channel like Hulu gets big traction.

Cable companies do get a significant amount of profit by marking up the non-OTA programming that they resell. If customers turn elsewhere for this programming, cable companies have a problem because they can't earn enough profit on Internet services alone to sustain their business as it has been structured financially. Yes, they get some money from telephone services over cable, but that market topped out a long time ago. This is why Internet service prices are going up -- and will continue to, until/unless a wireless-based provider breaks up the duopoly in most cities.

Old 11-17-2010, 11:12 PM

216 posts, read 537,237 times
If you have an Xbox or PS3 hooked up to the TV, check out the software PlayOn. It allows you to stream online content from a computer in the house to your XBox 360 or PS3 connected to your TVs.

The software is $40 a year, but you can check it out for free for 2 weeks.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 AM

754 posts, read 1,688,626 times
My "Earthlink" bill hasn't budged from $41.95, even with last year's price increase and the bogus price listed on TWC Web site. I think I'll be insulated from this by this price increase as well.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM

8 posts, read 16,554 times
TWC is hurting for money. I only pay for internet access....no cable or phone, however I am being charged for the router TWC provided me with, and for having a wireless device (laptop) connect to the router. Does that make sense? After this year I am going underground...

Old 11-18-2010, 11:49 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,725,848 times
Hold on a second, Time Warner is raising its rates? That's inconceivable. Next we'll learn that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

Old 11-20-2010, 10:08 AM

216 posts, read 537,237 times
FYI looks like Time Warner is testing a new cheaper cable package -

Time Warner Cable to test cheaper TV package | Signal Strength - CNET News

Old 11-22-2010, 07:21 AM

754 posts, read 1,688,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hc130radio View Post
FYI looks like Time Warner is testing a new cheaper cable package -

Time Warner Cable to test cheaper TV package | Signal Strength - CNET News
Same old same old:

Quote:
These are promotional offers and the price will go up to $49.99 per month after one year, the company said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary