Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 PM

478 posts, read 2,045,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkburk View Post
Looking back, we should have rented but with 3 children, a cat and a husband that works from home it seemed like it would be tooo hard, especially since the kids might have had to move twice when it came to schools.
Minus the cat, this is us! And my husband and I literally look at each other every day and say the same phrase, 'I'm soooo glad we are renting!'

With geographic areas as large as the Triangle (or heck, even as large as just Cary!), so much new commercial and residential building, supply/demand factors, etc, we would not have been able to make an optimal decision if we'd bought instead of renting. And it isn't generally advisable to have one's money tied into a single asset (home) so we are happy to diversify and invest, save, and pay a fraction of what a mortgage would be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 03:13 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizardlips View Post
Thanks everyone;
I didn't write that for everyone to be sad for me. I was just saying...you cannot pay for neighbors, only the building. So if what you have is a happy place to live, enjoy and count your blessings.
I have joined some meet up groups, and I have been going to a great community church, so I have no doubt I will meet friends, it will just take time, and it won't be on my front porch...
Plus...hey we have the meetup on the 28th, right, thats right, ah ha, thats right.
I know you aren't looking for sympathy Liz, but this still makes me very sad. I really have enjoyed reading your stories...moving day, your daughter joining you... I was thinking though, do you think your neighbors just aren't use to having nice people in the neighborhood, like yourself? Maybe Justchar is right, throw a big party and maybe this will inspire the rest of the neighborhood that there are friendly people, even transplants, that is. I hope when I finally get to NC, things are better for you, and if not, then I'll come over and we'll both personally whip them all into shape.

Old 07-10-2007, 06:03 PM

920 posts, read 2,812,428 times
It makes me sad, too, especially to hear about Southerners behaving so rudely.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:54 PM

607 posts, read 2,430,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
I know you aren't looking for sympathy Liz, but this still makes me very sad. I really have enjoyed reading your stories...moving day, your daughter joining you... I was thinking though, do you think your neighbors just aren't use to having nice people in the neighborhood, like yourself? Maybe Justchar is right, throw a big party and maybe this will inspire the rest of the neighborhood that there are friendly people, even transplants, that is. I hope when I finally get to NC, things are better for you, and if not, then I'll come over and we'll both personally whip them all into shape.
Jeannie216;
Heck I figure, it is their loss...believe me, I will make friends, I don't need friends that act that way.
My Moms favorite saying she said to us as kids and I have said to my kids
"Treat others as you wish to be treated." Thats all...that says it all....
But I am looking forward to meeting everyone at the next meetup. I take it you won't be here for that, right??

Liz

Old 07-10-2007, 10:19 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,019 times
Quote:
Jeannie216;
Heck I figure, it is their loss...believe me, I will make friends, I don't need friends that act that way.
My Moms favorite saying she said to us as kids and I have said to my kids
"Treat others as you wish to be treated." Thats all...that says it all....
But I am looking forward to meeting everyone at the next meetup. I take it you won't be here for that, right??

Liz
No, not this one Liz, but I'll be there in spirit. Keep me in mind for the next one though.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:09 AM

310 posts, read 1,714,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkburk View Post
Ok let me start by saying I'm not miserable, things are just not the way I want them to be.....we researched, looked, had neighborhoods narrowed down, etc. but in the week (yes, a week, long story) we had to buy a house we made the best choice of houses that were available but I am not happy. I know I need to stop looking at the listings but I keep seeing houses that are on the market now (but weren't in March) and thinking "darn"! I know I need to give it time but it's more structural than neighborhood...everyone has been so nice in the neighborhood and I'm so glad we moved to NC. I just don't like my house! What do I do? Deal? Vent to a forum about stupid issues like a bad back yard and small bedrooms? Or wait for a year or two and then move? Any suggestions (other than deep breaths)? How has anyone else dealt with this?
I suggest to wait a year or two, or until your house price appreciate enough so that when you sell it you don't loose any money, then get the house you really want.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:21 AM

823 posts, read 3,921,317 times
I had the reverse situation. We bought our house because it was the only thing that we could afford. It is much smaller than our old house (1100 sq ft vs 3000 sq ft) and had a weird carport rather than a garage. I moaned for months about how small the new house was and about all the possessions and activities that wouldn't fit. Selling the old house was tons of work, as was packing up everything. But the funny thing is, I've been in the new house 3 weeks now and I really like it. I guess I'm more adaptable than I thought!

Old 07-11-2007, 08:25 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,384,181 times
Liz,

I am so sorry that the neighbors have not been more friendly. This is not what I wanted to hear. We are moving down to Chapel Hill next week. We live in a very unfriendly neighborhood up here in MA and I was hoping it would be different in NC.

It would be nice if you could live in house for a few weeks before committing to buying it so that you could make sure you like your neighbors!

Last edited by Jdatlas; 07-11-2007 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-11-2007, 08:36 AM

56 posts, read 333,455 times
thank you, thank you, thank you for starting this thread........we were right on the edge of buying a house that we are renting that really doesn't work very well for us at all. Location, layout, yard are all wrong for us, but we were going to settle for it because it seemed the practical thing to do. Started reading your thread and thinking about all the issues and what we really want and we are walking away from this house.

It will be a great home for a younger family in the middle house buying stage.
THANKS AGAIN for sharing and I hope things get happier for you.
Katherine

ps everyone waves from their car on this court of 24 homes!!!!!

Old 07-11-2007, 02:24 PM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,276 times
Default not surprised

Quote:
Okay here is my two cents. Realize that I am not complaining, I am just letting you know a different side of things.
I bought a house, that is soooooo beautiful, and so "homey" it isn't as big as our old house, but I feel so much more at home in this new house. The problem is, we moved into an established neighborhood, with all Native Carolinans. Not one person has come over to greet us, they never wave. I went over to the next door neighbor, whose husband was in an accident, to offer to watch her children, or cook her a meal while she is taking care of hubby in the hospital, she looked at me like I had crawled from under a rock. The other neighbor, I took over a cake and a bottle of wine, to thank them for watching our house while we were gone for the weekend, she was gracious, but basically the conversation came around to our moving, and how we liked it. Then she said "hopefully, you will be the last transplant, we like to keep our State less crowded." That stung.

We have been here six weeks, and twice, the neighbors got together for a BBQ in the fronts of their houses, and never invited us. In fact, we were walking the dogs, and we saw they were having the party, and I was mortified, nobody even waved at us.

So keep the house....enjoy your neighborhood. Believe me, you can get really sad in a beautiful house, with no neighbors.

Liz

I noticed more of this behaviour when looking at older subdivisions also. Glad I chose a new one with many transplants. There are plenty of rude southerners just like other areas of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary