U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 08:30 AM

2 posts, read 3,592 times
Smile moving from monmouth county nj

Hi,
We have lived in NJ our whole lives and now have an opportunity to move To the Raleigh Area. We are not sure we will fit into the lifestyle of the south and are wondering if someone has any words of wisdom. Where do most transplants move, how are the schools, the traffic to RTP from areas like Chapel Hill, where can you buy new housing, and mostly, are there any NJ transplants who have moved to NC who can respond and let us know what they think. This is a very big decision, especially because we have a son who needs special education so the schools are a huge concern.
Thanks...hope to hear from somebody w/ advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 09:08 AM

8,990 posts, read 17,569,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongnj View Post
Hi,
We have lived in NJ our whole lives and now have an opportunity to move To the Raleigh Area. We are not sure we will fit into the lifestyle of the south and are wondering if someone has any words of wisdom. Where do most transplants move, how are the schools, the traffic to RTP from areas like Chapel Hill, where can you buy new housing, and mostly, are there any NJ transplants who have moved to NC who can respond and let us know what they think. This is a very big decision, especially because we have a son who needs special education so the schools are a huge concern.
Thanks...hope to hear from somebody w/ advice.
I am originally from Monmouth County (Wall Township). I still love to visit the Jersey Shore, but I call Raleigh, NC my home now. Transplants settle in all over the Triangle area and don't concentrate in any one area. You will find NJ transplants everywhere from Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Wake Forest, Fuquay Varina, Knightdale, and Clayton.

Where you choose to settle really depends on where you will be working, what kind of commute you are looking for, and what your housing budget will be. There are many options to choose from here if you plan to work in RTP. It will also depend on whether you are looking for a more suburban lifestyle, or urban lifestyle. There are also some very nice historic neighborhoods to live in closer to downtown Raleigh and Durham.

Wake County and Johnston County Schools seem to be highly recognized school systems but they are dealing with overcrowding issues due to the rapid increase in population in this area. I understand that Chapel Hill area Schools are excellent as well. You can do a search of this forum for past discussions on this topic. I do not have any children yet, so I will leave the topic of schools for others to comment on in greater detail.

If you have specific questions about the area or have ideas of what you are looking for, fire away! There are some very helpful people on this board who should be able to help point you in the right direction. Best of luck to you!

Old 07-10-2007, 09:29 AM

709 posts, read 7,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I am originally from Monmouth County (Wall Township). I still love to visit the Jersey Shore, but I call Raleigh, NC my home now. Transplants settle in all over the Triangle area and don't concentrate in any one area. You will find NJ transplants everywhere from Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary, Apex, Holly Springs, Wake Forest, Fuquay Varina, Knightdale, and Clayton.

Where you choose to settle really depends on where you will be working, what kind of commute you are looking for, and what your housing budget will be. There are many options to choose from here if you plan to work in RTP. It will also depend on whether you are looking for a more suburban lifestyle, or urban lifestyle. There are also some very nice historic neighborhoods to live in closer to downtown Raleigh and Durham.

Wake County and Johnston County Schools seem to be highly recognized school systems but they are dealing with overcrowding issues due to the rapid increase in population in this area. I understand that Chapel Hill area Schools are excellent as well. You can do a search of this forum for past discussions on this topic. I do not have any children yet, so I will leave the topic of schools for others to comment on in greater detail.

If you have specific questions about the area or have ideas of what you are looking for, fire away! There are some very helpful people on this board who should be able to help point you in the right direction. Best of luck to you!
Hey ask the urbywan, I miss Belmar and Spring Lake and the old stone pony in asbury Park.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:44 AM

8,990 posts, read 17,569,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Hey ask the urbywan, I miss Belmar and Spring Lake and the old stone pony in asbury Park.
Yes, those are some great places in NJ! I was back in Belmar just a few weeks ago visiting a sick relative.

Here are a few shots of Belmar Beach @ 5th avenue I took during that trip back on June 23rd

Thankfully here in Raleigh we are only 2 hours from the beach, so moving here does not mean you have to give up hitting the shore if you are a salty dog at heart!

Old 07-10-2007, 10:03 AM

3,353 posts, read 1,335,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbywan View Post
Me too and Point Pleasant, land of post-high school graduation debauchery (ah, summer of 1985).

Old 07-10-2007, 10:17 AM

164 posts, read 482,488 times
I lived in and grew up in NJ, then moved to MD and then here to NC and love it. people are nice, more open and less noise and less pollution..lol..we do not have children with us so we have no need to be around school areas so cant help you there but I love it here and would hope to not have to ever move back to NJ. Visit because of family there but hope to never have to move back. Good luck Kim

Old 07-10-2007, 10:33 AM

104 posts, read 271,627 times
Another Raleigh transplant from Monmouth Co. I lived in Hazlet but was always down the shore, esp Stone Pony and The Wonder Bar watching my brother's band. I do miss it but I like NC beaches a lot better.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:48 AM

1,808 posts, read 4,045,251 times
Another Raleigh transplant from NJ... by way of DC/Northern Virginia. I lived in Morris County (family still does).

I don't feel like I'm in culture shock here... but I will say that the pace of life is a bit slower here (which is a good thing for me!). You just need to accept things the way they are here and learn to embrace what's different instead of trying to change things (people will resent you for trying). But, we are here because we want to be here, and that helps a lot (instead of some folks who move here reluctantly because of job transfer, etc.). It's okay to remember things that you liked back home, but try not to dwell on them... instead, look at the wonderful new experiences you'll have if you decide to make the move!

Like other posters, I don't have any children so I can't speak to your questions about the school systems.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:10 AM

8,256 posts, read 14,723,035 times
We once lived in Edison Township and don't miss NJ's crowding and rude drivers.

Jersey Mike's subs are a taste of Jersey (Joisey) for those who want to remember the shore.

RTP commutes suck. There are now apts near RTP if that is what you need. I-40 is a nasty commute kind of like the NY metro area.

Public transit is very scarce.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:16 AM

3,353 posts, read 1,335,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnfan View Post
We once lived in Edison Township and don't miss NJ's crowding and rude drivers.
Funny - we've talked on the board about how people in NJ use turning signals and here they don't as much - just last week I had two instances in which a driver going in the opposite direction slowed down to allow me to make my left (unheard of in NJ), but they weren't using turning signals so I didn't realize it until after, heh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary