Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-25-2010, 01:54 PM

45 posts, read 141,640 times

Advertisements

Hi all! Just found out yesterday I was offered admission to Duke's ECE grad program for spring, so in the period of only a couple weeks we have to up and move our lives from Indiana to Durham!

So we need an apartment for 4-6 months while my wife gets a job (RN so shouldn't be too hard). Looking to pay up to 700/month (800 if needed), 1 or 2 bed. Mostly concerned with a nice area, doesn't need to be on campus since I have a car. I want to make sure my wife will be safe at home and our belongings will be safe as well. No roaches (I ask a lot I know .

Only been through the area once over the summer, will be flying in for a few days just before Christmas so I'd like to have a few good places to check out. Thanks in advance, this will be a huge help to us!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 11:26 AM

305 posts, read 761,210 times
Congrats on getting in to grad school, and welcome to the Triangle!

There are several nice areas that could suit your needs.

The areas around Duke Forest are nice, with lots of grad students living in that neck of the woods. Deerfield Apartments or Colonial Village at Deerfield are good places to start. Reasonably easy access to both UNC and Duke/Durham Regional for your wife's job hunt.

The area around Southpoint Mall in South Durham is very safe and has tons of amenities like nearby shopping and access to the American Tobacco Trail. Newer apt complexes in that area are likely going to be above your target price range, but some of the older complexes like Pine Ridge Apartments or Sutton Place are likely in your range. Still nice and likely to be roach-free. :-) The Southpoint area is convenient to both UNC and Duke Medical Centers, plus there are a lot of outpatient clinics in the immediate area, so convenient for your wife.

You might also look at places in north Durham that would be in the vicinity of Durham Regional Hospital (and also very convenient to Duke itself.) I don't know apartments in that area very well, but I've heard good things about Woodstone at Croasdaile Farm and Croasdaile Crossings, but I don't have a sense of price on those.

Just FYI, you will likely pay a premium for a short lease, so your actual monthly rent will likely be higher than rates posted online. Duke also has a housing finder website, which gets some smaller, private renters if you aren't as interested in big apartment buildings.

Duke University | Student Affairs | Community Housing

Good luck!

Old 11-28-2010, 08:07 PM

45 posts, read 141,640 times
Awesome, thanks for the great info! I've been reading good things about the South Point area so that's where we are looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary