U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 01:35 PM

26 posts, read 46,325 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some research online about Wake Forest and I know what you read isn't always true so I'm hoping to get some local knowledge here. What are the Pros and Cons to living in Wake Forest? Do you find people outgoing and friendly? How does the population break down with regard to race/ethnic background? I often have to travel and would need to go to RDU quite often. What would this commute be like and how is the RDU airport, in general?

If you DON'T live in Wake Forest, but live in a neighboring community, what are your thoughts?

Thanks everyone!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 01:53 PM

104 posts, read 282,607 times
I lived in Wake Forest for a year or two and loved it, except at the time I was working in Garner and the drive was awful. We just moved to Cary because we now work in RTP and the drive on 540 every morning and afternoon drove me crazy. If I worked at home, off hours, or some place other than RTP we probably would have bought a house in Wake Forest instead of Cary just because you get a little more for your money out there. I just couldn't deal with the drive everyday. If you aren't going to the airport from 8 or 9-5, you'll be fine.
I should add that I work with several people who live in Wake Forest and the drive is nothing for them - after relocating down here from Boston, the worst traffic here isn't as bad as a good day up there, apparently.

Old 11-27-2010, 01:54 PM

104 posts, read 282,607 times
Sorry, I didn't really give pros and cons, but one persons pro could be another person's con anyway.
It's a very nice place, there is plenty to do. I think the only real con is the drive if you are going to be driving to RTP or the airport when the rest of Wake Forest is.

Old 11-27-2010, 03:16 PM

26 posts, read 46,325 times
Thanks, CK. I work in medical device sales and would be working all over the southeast, so I'll be driving and flying quite a bit. I have the option of choosing my flights so I can go early or later to avoid the bad traffic. Sounds like it might be a good fit for us.

I'm still curious as to what "problems" may be present, if any. And what the breakdown in population may be - is it a culturally diverse place or no?

Old 11-27-2010, 04:37 PM

6,066 posts, read 9,342,731 times
City-Data can be quite useful:

http://www.city-data.com/city/Wake-F...-Carolina.html

The only downside I can see is driving to 540 in the morning down Capital. If you can drive during off hours, that's a good thing.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:17 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,147,971 times
Default Quid Pro Quo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle_and_Tori View Post
I'm still curious as to what "problems" may be present, if any. And what the breakdown in population may be - is it a culturally diverse place or no?
Itís hard to answer your questions without knowing in more detail what youíre looking for. I suggest you do some research and then be a little more specific with regards to what youíre looking for.

Why donít you tell us a little more about your self? Where are you coming from? Are you planning to buy or rent? Lastly, what ďproblemsĒ or cultural diversity issues are concerned about?

My wife and I moved in to our newly constructed Wake Forest house in the Spring of 2004 and we absolutely LOVE it. The town has exceeded all our expectations and continually improves. Itís a very family orientated area with plenty of amenities either in the town or nearby.

Old 11-27-2010, 05:40 PM

467 posts, read 1,069,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post

The only downside I can see is driving to 540 in the morning down Capital. If you can drive during off hours, that's a good thing.
I live in Wake Forest, and work at RTP - I (and most of my neighbors who work out that way) typically take 98 to Creedmoor (or further), bypassing Capital altogether, because it is such a crap shoot to drive. It's definitely faster if it's moving, but since it's usually not, the 98 route is more predictable as far as commute times.

Old 11-27-2010, 06:51 PM

12 posts, read 23,277 times
I have been living in Wake Forest for 5 years now and I love it. The people are friendly, I feel very safe here unlike when I lived in Apex, and so many new stores and restaurants have opened since I have moved here. A new Harris Teeter will be opening in a few months, a JC Penney store and new mall are in the works, and it’s only going to get better with the growth here. I especially like being close to Raleigh, and if I have to get to RTP I just take RT 98 and avoid 540.

Old 11-27-2010, 07:24 PM

2,791 posts, read 2,147,971 times
Default North of North Raleigh

I like Wake Forest because I get this million dollar view from my back deck at a reasonable price.

I've also noticed that a lot of real-estate agents either live in Wake Forest or would like to move here. That ought to tell ya something.

Old 11-28-2010, 08:06 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,009,288 times
Wake Forest is a little bit out of the way, which could be a pro or a con, depending on your perspective. Access to RDU, RTP and downtown Raleigh is not as good as Cary and Apex.

Wake Forest has one of the nicer downtowns in the area, lots of historic buildings.

You might get a little more for your money in Wake Forest than other areas in Wake County. All in all, an excellent choice as long as the commute is not an issue for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary