Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2010, 08:56 PM

18 posts, read 43,089 times

Advertisements

So I have recently relocated here a couple of months. And decided to have a little gathering at my TH (I am renting and so is my neighbor) on thanksgiving. Not many people, total of 8 people. So my neighbor decides to knock on the door b/c my music is too loud. I have done my research and see that noise limits are 11p-7a. But what is the deal with the holidays, clearly she's a grinch. I mean other ppl here had parties all summer long, drinking, music, talking loud so what happens if she was to call the police on us for New years? It was not only embarrasing but also intimidating, knocking at my door, WTH, I have guests at myhouse. and by the way we had music for a total of an hour and a half and it was around 11 pm.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 09:15 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,096,578 times
The law is the law. Holidays are not exempt.

If it was past 11 pm, and your music was bothering someone, they are within their rights to call the police. You knew the law.

You have the same right to call when noise bothers you between 11 pm and 7 am.

What is your question? You ask for suggestions.

The suggestion is to quiet down after 11 pm.

Old 11-28-2010, 09:28 PM

1,357 posts, read 4,028,326 times
And also turn it down somewhat if it's not between 11pm-7am if you care at all about avoiding neighbor wars. I have a neighbor upstairs that was blasting their vacuum AND heavy bass at 9am yesterday. Yeah, it was allowable by law I guess, but I also think when you are sharing walls you have to keep common courtesy in mind. And of course people may not realize it's loud enough to bother people so that's why they come over and ask.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:03 PM

7,104 posts, read 11,602,228 times
You think your neighbor should have to hear your music on thanksgiving at 11 p.m.??!?

Ugh.

Just be considerate of your neighbor and turn the stupid music down.

Old 11-30-2010, 05:47 PM

809 posts, read 2,188,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sowk09 View Post
And also turn it down somewhat if it's not between 11pm-7am if you care at all about avoiding neighbor wars. I have a neighbor upstairs that was blasting their vacuum AND heavy bass at 9am yesterday. Yeah, it was allowable by law I guess, but I also think when you are sharing walls you have to keep common courtesy in mind. And of course people may not realize it's loud enough to bother people so that's why they come over and ask.
My downstairs neighbor is a night owl and sleeps all day. I'm usually in bed by 10. We always coordinate if we are going to vacuum so that one is not waking the other up. Neither of us blast music so that isn't a problem.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:44 AM

285 posts, read 836,520 times
I've had this same problem in the apartment where I'm living - clearly poor construction, and can hear TV's/Vacuums from next door, the next building(!), and below me - fortunately we're on the top floor so we have nobody above us

I agree with everyone else here - consideration is the key. If the noise gets too bad I do go next door and ask them to turn it down a little - its generally more the bass than the general music. They've always been apologetic and didnt realize that the noise was travelling so far - which i agree with, I dont blame them - I blame the construction

However, you have to live with these people so you should really make the effort. If you're having a party or know you're going to be playing music loud - maybe go next door ahead of time and give them the heads up? Even if they still complain, at least you've had the courtesy to be decent and let them know you're hosting a party or something. Better yet - invite them?

Old 12-01-2010, 08:29 AM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Three letters

SFH

Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,771,155 times
This thread makes me count my blessing that I will never HAVE to live in an apartment again. I sometimes complain about the physical and monetary upkeep cost of my home but this reminds me of why it's all worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary