Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 06:38 AM

43,283 posts, read 77,104,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
Lots of airports have free WiFi:

Airport Wireless Internet Access Guide
JetBlue offers it for free at JFK; I've used it, and I liked it.
Basic economics says "No one offers 'free' wifi."

The gear, installation, and maintenance are all paid for in some manner, and that has to be passed on.
How was that done by JetBlue? Buried in the ticket price so you didn't see it? Bag Check fee? Price of a soda?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 07:00 AM

137 posts, read 552,847 times
Hi Mike,

Generally I agree with you. But, have you considered that JetBlue pays for the "free" Wifi by running a more efficient operation? Maybe the management of JetBlue is not nearly as greedy as that of say Southwest, which really gives nothing for free.
I used to fly Southwest in and out of RDU all the time. It was pretty reliable, it was reasonably cheap and not too uncomfortable. But, starting about a year ago, I just had to change. First, I flew American, but they canceled my route, and luckily JetBlue picked it up. Wow, JetBlue is so much better than Southwest, much more comfortable, nicer employees, and lately, cheaper! So, my guess is that JetBlue is just so much better run, managed and organized that the free Wifi is simply a benefit of their organizational and management skills. (And, no cattle call like SW!)

Old 12-02-2010, 08:20 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,938,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyhopkins View Post
have you considered that JetBlue pays for the "free" Wifi by running a more efficient operation? ... So, my guess is that JetBlue is just so much better run, managed and organized that the free Wifi is simply a benefit of their organizational and management skills.
Efficient or not, providing wi-fi is a cost that has to be absorbed and paid for - whether out of other corporate profits (lowering their profit margin) or charging customers. It's still not "free."

Old 12-02-2010, 08:53 AM

2,024 posts, read 5,914,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by codyhopkins View Post
Hi Mike,

Generally I agree with you. But, have you considered that JetBlue pays for the "free" Wifi by running a more efficient operation? Maybe the management of JetBlue is not nearly as greedy as that of say Southwest, which really gives nothing for free.
I used to fly Southwest in and out of RDU all the time. It was pretty reliable, it was reasonably cheap and not too uncomfortable. But, starting about a year ago, I just had to change. First, I flew American, but they canceled my route, and luckily JetBlue picked it up. Wow, JetBlue is so much better than Southwest, much more comfortable, nicer employees, and lately, cheaper! So, my guess is that JetBlue is just so much better run, managed and organized that the free Wifi is simply a benefit of their organizational and management skills. (And, no cattle call like SW!)
Big SW fan here. The cattle call isn't bad if you fly enough, like I do, to be on the Southwest A-List -- plus you get to go to the head of the line through security. And my boarding pass is pulled automatically, almost always an A.

I like JetBlue but fly Southwest by choice. With all the travel I've done this year (about 18 round-trips) plus using the Southwest credit card I've gotten 6 free R/T's this year, which is quite nice.

I like that SW doesn't gouge you on last minute travel the way the other airlines do. Had a parent get hospitalized Tue. night last week, right before Thanksgiving, and I got out to Nashville for $200 one-way. Other airlines? $700-800 for the same one-way flight.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:25 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,095,324 times
Of course you are right. Nothing is ever, ever "free." Someone is paying for it somewhere.

But JetBlue is very consumer-oriented, and if I don't notice a big difference in everything else they offer, then I'll gladly take the "free" WiFi they offer.

If they can bury it somewhere, and I don't notice, then I'm fine with that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Basic economics says "No one offers 'free' wifi."

The gear, installation, and maintenance are all paid for in some manner, and that has to be passed on.
How was that done by JetBlue? Buried in the ticket price so you didn't see it? Bag Check fee? Price of a soda?

Old 12-02-2010, 12:13 PM

18,076 posts, read 15,664,302 times
RDU should have open WiFi. A lot of other airports offer it. It's obviously do-able or no one would (be able to) offer it. It's something that high-tech passengers want and it personally irks me that RDU charges for it. I don't use a smart phone or have a 3G type connection, but I do travel with my netbook.

When I purchase a plane ticket, the price is what it is when I book. It might be a great fare or perhaps not as great, depending on when I book. The price is consistent across similar routes, at similar airports, regardless if the airport offers open WiFi or not. Open WiFi is a product differentiator. The costs are much less than they were, say, 5 yrs ago. Obviously there are benefits to offering this service or other airports would not do so.

As a consumer and flyer, I greatly appreciate airports that do have open WiFi.

Old 12-02-2010, 03:11 PM

1,090 posts, read 1,834,246 times
Free wifi.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:39 PM

18,076 posts, read 15,664,302 times
Very apropos

WHAT’S THE MATTER WITH AIRPORTS? | Ask the Pilot

Old 12-03-2010, 11:03 AM

285 posts, read 836,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Its BS, The country should have faster broadband access and it should be free EVERYPLACE! But alas we are second rate as a country to the rest of the world. Oh yea most Americans are clueless to how far we are behind other countries since most do not travel any farther than the nascar oval...
Got to say - I agree with this. Being a Brit, the speed, quality and cost of internet access here generally is nowhere near as good as the UK & Europe. TV & Cell services are a lot poorer too

Some of this is undoubtedly down to the sheer size of the US and the infrastructure required, however at the end of the day the quality of service is certainly behind a lot of the world...

All that being said - would love free Wi-Fi in RDU. But you know what - I still fly from there, and for the 90 minutes or so I'm there I can survive without it - and if its really urgent and I NEED it - then I just pony up!

nice to have - Yes.
Essential or embarrassing that RDU doesn't have it already - really not that big a deal

Just my musings

Old 12-03-2010, 12:27 PM

1,501 posts, read 1,726,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGrant View Post
All that being said - would love free Wi-Fi in RDU. But you know what - I still fly from there, and for the 90 minutes or so I'm there I can survive without it - and if its really urgent and I NEED it - then I just pony up!
I think that is the bottom line. People aren't going to fly through Greensboro or Charlotte instead just for free WiFi (if they even have it), so there is little incentive for the airport itself to offer it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary